Winter has come at last! And here at BUST, we’re delivering tons of inspiring articles to cozy up with for reading season! Legendary screen siren Christina Ricci is on our cover! Plus, we’ve got interviews with the nonbinary creator and star of HBO’s Sort Of, Bilal Baig; iconic designer Betsey Johnson; and some incredible women from the Black Panther Party! Inside, we also explain how to become an “abortion doula,” how to take full advantage of the cold water swimming trend, how to make the best vegan ramen evs, and so much more!
Table of Contents Winter 22/23
Ricci & Famous Screen siren Christina Ricci is no longer Wednesday’s child.
By Eliza C. Thompson
Making a Way Out of No Way Reflections on life as a Black Panther, by the women who lived it. By Ericka Huggins, Photographed by Stephen Shames
Down in the Basement One woman confronts her childhood sexual misconduct head-on and tries to make amends. By Adrienne Christian
Kind of a Baig Deal Actor/writer/producer Bilal Baig is Sort Of our favorite new TV creator. By Phoenix Leigh
Highway to Health Don’t offer to take strangers on “camping trips.” There’s a better way to help people access abortion post-Roe. By Rachel Leibrock
Watch Out for Glampus! Everyone’s favorite Christmas demon gets a vintage fashion makeover. Creative Direction by Hannah Knowles, Photographed by Chloe Yates, Styled by Margherita Iacob
ON THE COVER: Christina Ricci photographed by Emily Shur, styling by Turner; makeup by ALLAN AVENDANO; hair by Brian Fsher; nails by Jolene Brodeur. Rodarte Dress; Pamela Love Bracelet And Rings; Le Vian Green Stone Ring; Gold Band Ring: Ricci’s Own
- Never Have I Ever’s Lily D. Moore; Indigenous drag queens; preserving the history of women on skateboards; and more.
- The Hotness Wonderful winter pop-culture picks. By Callie Watts
- Boy du Jour Boy du Jour Going gaga for Nico Hiraga. By Kelly Kathleen
- Bra-ometer Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz Olivia Newton-John’s legacy lives on. By Emily Rems
- Cold-water swimming;
design your own creative retreat; tinned fish FTW; and more.
- Good to know Tidbits and treats for making life better. By Lisa Butterworth
- Caking Bad Cozy vegan ramen. By Terry Hope Romero
- Fashion advice from influencer and activist Nicole Rieder; legendary designer Betsey Johnson; studly NYE makeup; and more.
- Get this Look Masquerade like Madonna in Four Rooms. By Callie Watts
- Booty cCall Overalls for all. By Callie Watts
- Looksee Little Bits About Things We Dig. By Marie Lodi and Lisa Butterworth
The BUST Guide
- Music Reviews; plus, a rap session with Mykki Blanco.
- Movies The Nanny gave a Corsage to Women Talking.
- Books Reviews; plus, Amber Tamblyn chats it up with Ada Limón!
- Sex Files Hypnokink will put a spell on you; and more.
- Answers from the Queen Making sense of monkeypox. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read I Never Knew Until Her. By Noel Peterson
- Tarotscopes Find out what’s in the cards for Winter. By Sarah Potter
- X games “My Body, My….” By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance “Festival of the Phoenix Sun.” By Rithika Merchant