Autumn is in the air here at BUST and we’re completely riveted by scene-stealing Scary Movie siren Regina Hall on our cover! Inside, we’ve got feminist rock icon Beth Ditto from Monarch, directorial powerhouse Gina Prince-Bythewood, accordion anarchy with “Weird Al” Yankovic, a fashion story with Karen Elson, and much more!
Table of Contents FALL 2022
Hall of Fame Whether she’s on a Girls Trip or mixing with Nine Perfect Strangers, multifaceted actor Regina Hall is always as authentic as they come. By Jamia Wilson
Trans formations These three T4T (Trans for Trans) couples are #RelationshipGoals. By Phoenix Leigh
No Fucks Left To Give A compulsive people-pleaser reckons with her painful
past to pave the way for a better future.
By Rythea Lee
Simply the Beth Gossip frontwoman Beth Ditto is putting away her punk persona and going full country on the splashy new drama Monarch. By Eliza C. Thompson
Pennyroyal Tea Women who perform abortions have always been targeted by enemies of bodily autonomy. But in the era of widespread witch hunts, providing this type of service could cost a healer her life. By Sarah Lyons
Southern Comfort Fall fashions and chic chat with singer/songwriter/supermodel Karen Elson. Photographed by Diana King, Styled by Leslie Stephens, Interview by Sabrina Ford
ON THE COVER: REGINA HALL PHOTOGRAPHED BY LIA CLAY MILLER; STYLING BY MARISA ELLISON @ ART DEPT; MAKEUP BY LEWINA DAVID @ CLOUTIER; HAIR BY SHORNELL MCNEAL. SPINELLI KILCOLLIN RINGS; BLAZER AND DRESS: AWAKE MODE.
- Powerhouse director Gina Prince-Bythewood; How to ADHD’s Jessica McCabe; America’s first women’s sports bar; and more.
- The Hotness Super summer pop-culture picks. By Callie Watts
- Boy du Jour “Weird Al” Yankovic is seriously funny. By Kelly Kathleen
- Bra-ometer Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz Peaches is always in season. . By Emily Rems
- Make a fanciful fall pumpkin house; funeral planning for fat folks; manifestation 101; and more.
- Good to know Tidbits and treats for making life better. By Lisa Butterworth.
- Eat Me Easy, classy apps! By Chef Rossi
- Style advice from the wonderfully witchy @TheHauntina; learn to sew your own clothes; Halloween lip art; and more.
- Looksee Little Bits About Things We Dig. By Marie Lodi
- booty call Overalls for all. By Callie Watts
- Get this look Practical Magic for your wardrobe. By Marie Lodi
The BUST Guide
- Music Reviews; Reviews; plus the new Courtney Barnett doc!
- Movies Nothing Compares to a Vesper that’s been Brainwashed.
- Books Reviews; plus apeek at Celeste Ng’s writing routine.
- Sex Files: Asexual activist Yasmin Benoit; and more.
- Answers from the Queen: Advice for those having trouble talking about trauma. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read Memories Last a Lifetime.
By D.T. Simmons
- Tarotscopes Find out what’s in the cards for Summer. By Sarah Potter
- X games What a Puzzle.” By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance “Weighted Blanket Made of Moss.” By Rachel Hayden