Here at BUST, we’re falling hard for our Fall Issue starring cover queen Busy Philipps! Inside, we’ve got all kinds of gothic goodness, including interviews with horror-drag superstars The Boulet Brothers and online occult sensation The Hoodwitch; spine-tingling tips on how to DIY the best haunted house evs; a guide to helping get the vote out in swing states; and more.
Table of Contents Oct/Nov 2018
Taking Care of Busy-ness
Once a sitcom mainstay, Busy Philipps is now poised to take over late night. By Lisa Butterworth
Turn your basement or garage into a Halloween house of horrors with these spine-tingling tutorials. By Callie Watts
The Book of Liz
Riot grrrl legend Allison Wolfe, of Bratmobile, and indie icon Liz Phair chat about the 25th anniversaries of their era-defining debuts. By Allison Wolfe
Swing Out, Sister
Fifteen ways to help flip the House and Senate this November, no matter where you live. By Rachel Leibrock
An adventure-seeking independent spirit, 19th-century journalist Nellie Bly put her life on the line in pursuit of the ultimate story. By Lynn Peril
I Put a Spell On You
Sinister styles inspired by The Love Witch and modeled by actor Andi Matichak. Photographed by Amber Gray, Styled by Lexyrose Boiardo
- Making magic with The Hoodwitch; The Second Shelf inspires book collectors to splurge on women; Beyoncé Mass; and more.
- The Hotness: Fall’s finest pop-culture offerings. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Dragula hosts The Boulet Brothers make “EEK!” chic. By Callie Watts
- Pop Quiz: Simone de Beauvoir raised the bar. By Emily Rems
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- DIY food-storage wraps; air travel at any size; benefit tips from Queer Soup Night; and more.
- Baking Bad: Popcorn Halloween treats. By Terry Hope Romero
- You Go, Girl: Say “Hello” to Reno! By Yolo Mana Yarrow
- Fashion advice from creative dynamo Amy Mills; next-level lashes; Halloween-themed manicures; and more.
- Booty Call: Jumpsuits-a-go-go! By Callie Watts
- Good Stuff: Seasonal styles with a ’70s vibe. By Stephanie J.
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of Cat Power!
- Movies: Sadie joined Colette on The Long Dumb Road.
- Books: Reviews; plus books about leaving religion behind.
- Author Wednesday Martin busts myths around female monogamy; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Trans sensitivity and Kegels for pee. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: The Pin-Ups. By Lauren Emily
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Sonia Ana Ortiz
- X Games: Phenomenal Woman. By Tracy Bennett
- Party Pics: Hot shots from BUST’s 25th anniversary bash!
- Parting Glance: “Petal Pusher” By MCXT (Monica Canilao + Xara Thustra)