For those of you who don’t know, Tumblr is a fantastically fun place full of food, feminism, fandoms, and kittens! However, one thing Tumblr isespecially great for is allowing young artists to self-promote; they can post, share, and sell their work, all while having fun blogging. Other Tumblr users can enjoy what they blog and support their online friends by purchasing their products, be they books, paintings, custom stickers, or whatever else these young creators can dream up – like zines. Here are some Tumblr blogs that’ll bring you great joy in the form of one of my personal favorite Tumblr gems: free feminist zines!
1. Hoax is a US bi-annual queer, feminist, compilation zine that aims to create a space to analyze the feminism in our everyday lives. The idea behind the name is that femininity and society’s standards for women are total bullshit.
2. Girls Don’t Zine is a non-profit zine making fun of society’s expectations of women. Examples being that girls don’t poop, have body hair, have a willy, cut their toe nails, so on and so forth. Our very own BUSTie, Mary Rockcastle, was featured in this one.
3. Sophie, feminist blogger and the creator of these zines, is a DIY feminist/artist/photographer based in Norwich, England. She makes limited edition zines and other cool junk, like custom postcards.
4. Ripley covers lots of fab feminism and (attempts to) tackle issues in the real world. It’s relatively new to the Tumblr zine world, so it requires a lot of support, but having read the first issue, while it’s not free, it’s worth your money!
5. Girls Get Busy is a feminist creative platform that supports female-identified artists, writers and musicians. It encourages girls and women to pursue their passions and get involved in the world, which is rockin’.
6. Muchacha is a quarterly fanzine that seeks to promote the “F” word feminism, encourage involvement in DIY music/art communities & inspire participation in grassroots activism. This one is also great in terms of representation for women of color.
7. Cherry is an online zine for feminism, art and photography. The link provided above goes to the wonderful Tumblr blog for Cherry which provides the link to the zine.
8. GRRRL ASYLUM is a feminist, sex positive, body positive, women’s rights zine. Check out that rad cover art!
So, if you’re looking to support independent artists and young feminists, check out these links to total awesomeness!