Here at BUST, it’s a winter wonderland! But the visions of sugarplums dancing in our heads are frequently preempted by a strong desire to take action and make 2021 better than 2020. That’s why we’re so excited to have actor and activism legend Jane Fonda gracing our cover and sharing her wisdom about how to create a brighter tomorrow. Inside, we’ve got in-depth interviews with even more thought leaders and change-makers, including Kimberly Drew, Jenna Wortham, Nikole Hannah-Jones, and Ijeoma Oluo. Plus, readers will find a surprising true story of a woman who discovered she was autistic at 31, a roundup of our favorite rising activist stars under 35, a tutorial on how to volunteer remotely, and a trio of adorable DIY gifts.
Table of Contents Winter 2021
For over 50 years, Jane Fonda’s commitment to social justice work has never wavered, and neither has her star power. By Lisa Butterworth
The Second Self
How could a woman not know she’s autistic until age 31? The answer has everything to do with medical gender bias. By Jess Kramer
Pulitzer Prize-winner Nikole Hannah-Jones changed how Americans view their history with The 1619 Project—and she’s just getting started. By Jamia Wilson
The Young And The Restless
Eight awesome activists, all under 35, who are shaping the future of this country. By Sabrina Ford
Dog fashions so tasty, you’ll want to sample them yourself. Photographed by Winnie Au, Styled by Marie-Yan Morvan
- On My Block’s Jessica Marie Garcia; culture critics Kimberly Drew and Jenna Wortham join forces; teen science prodigy Lillian Kay Petersen; and more.
- The Hotness: Warm up your winter with perfect pop-culture picks. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Thirstin’ for Jordan Firstman. By Lisa Butterworth
- Pop Quiz: That’s a Ginsburn. By Emily Rems. By Emily Rems
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Adorbs ornaments; volunteering from home; Black Girls With Gardens; and more.
- Good to Know: Tidbits and treats for making life better. By Lisa Butterworth
- Caking Bad: Make a fruity French flambé. By Terry Hope Romero
- Fashion advice from photographer Michelle Norris; not all fabrics are cut from the same cloth; #cottagecore #cuteness; and more.
- Shop Girl: Shannon Maldonado gets freaky in Philly. By Anna Grager
- Looksee: Little bits about things we dig. By Lisa Butterworth
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus a salute to Nancy Sinatra!
- Movies: The Assassins said Farewell Amor, I’m Your Woman.
- Books: Reviews; plus lit chat with Ijeoma Oluo and Caitlin Moran!
- A transmasculine stroker stroke-off; and more.
- Answers from the Queen: Thank you Betty Dodson. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: The Old Couch. By Sue Wells
- Tarotscopes: Find out what’s in the cards for Winter. By Sarah Potter
- X Games: “Come Again?” By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance: “1880 Crow Peace Delegation: Peelatchiwaaxpáash/Medicine Crow (Raven).” By Wendy Red Star