Here at BUST, election season is in full swing and we are ready to flex our political muscles at the polls! That’s why we are extra honored and excited to be featuring powerful voting-rights advocate Stacey Abrams on the cover of our fab Fall Issue, being interviewed by fellow activist Amber Tamblyn. Inside, we’ve got in-depth interviews with Joseph Gordon-Levitt about his powerful protest biopic The Trial of the Chicago Seven and Insecure’s comedy genius Natasha Rothwell. Plus, readers will find a surprising biography of the housewife who pioneered computer game graphics, a history of how the Influenza Epidemic of 1918 impacted women’s rights, and a guide to media literacy to help us all cut through the televised crap.
Table of Contents Fall 2020
Rage Against The Machine
Voting rights superhero Stacey Abrams is fighting for truth, justice, and the American way. By Amber Tamblyn
More Than Words
How a bored housewife in 1980 changed the computer game industry forever. By Perrin Drumm
The BUST Guide to Media Literacy
Is that outrageous political article you just shared on your feed actually true? Are you sure? By Rachel Leibrock
No-nonsense educator Jane Elliott has no patience for white fragility when it comes to combatting racism. By Jamia Wilson
Death and the Maidens
Pandemics suck. But in the past, they have also created unprecedented opportunities for women. By Christine Crudo Blackburn
Delicious fall looks modeled by hot hip-hop hellraiser Dai Burger. Photographed by Erica Génécé, Styled by Mateo Palacio
- Insecure genius Natasha Rothwell; Regeneration on the Reservation; PAC That A$$; and more.
- The Hotness: Tune in, turn on, drop out. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Joseph Gordon-Levitt can get it. By Eliza Thompson
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Museum of Femoribilia: Sometimes a pin is more than a pin. By Lynn Peril
- Excellent embroidery; boo-tiful baker Helena Garcia; boat life; and more.
- Good to Know: Tidbits and treats for making life better. By Lisa Butterworth
- Eat Me: Thanksgiving for two. By Chef Rossi
- Sartorial wisdom from YA author Tahereh Mafi; get the Morticia look; boundary-busting fashion fiend Jazmin Bean; and more.
- Looksee: Little bits about things we dig. By Lisa Butterworth
- Good Stuff: Spruce up your home office. By Stephanie J.
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus chitchat with Angel Olsen!
- Movies: The Glorias showed Morgana their Blackbird
- Books: Reviews; plus witchy reading recs from Kristen J. Sollée.
- Feminist-friendly sex apps; and more.
- Answers from the Queen: Long-distance sex strategies. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Table Games. By Curby Marie
- Cosmic Vibes: Horoscopes for Fall 2020. By Emmalea Russo
- X Games: On Deck. By Tracy Bennett
- The Last Laugh: Goodbye Tammy. By Esther Pearl Watson