Studio DIY has given us something to combat this rainy spring weather with—fruit slice umbrellas! The website features instructions on how to turn your plain umbrella into an awesome lemon, kiwi, and or watermelon (what could be sweeter?!). Make a lemon umbrella following the instructions below or head on over to Studio DIY for how-to’s on the kiwi and watermelon versions:
For a Lovely Lemon Umbrella, you will need:
1 Yellow Umbrella
Scotch Blue Painter’s Tape
Fabric-Safe Craft Paint
How To Make It:
1. Tape off a section around one spoke of the umbrella. It should start at a point at the top of the umbrella and widen to about a 2″ section at the bottom.
2. Paint within your tape lines using white or pale yellow paint. Peel off your tape.
3. Repeat this with each spoke of the umbrella. It’s best to go one by one, versus taping all sections at once, so you aren’t running into any tape overlapping at the top.
4. Now you’re going to create the white rind around the bottom! To do this, run a piece of tape a few inches from the bottom of each section of the umbrella, curving it slightly if desired.
5. Paint the entire section below your tape and remove! Repeat with each section.
6. To give a curved look to each “wedge” go back in with a small paint brush and hand-painted a slight curve on each corner.
7. Curve the top point of each wedge and fill in the center around the umbrella’s peak with paint.
8. To finish it off, paint a small strip of yellow along the bottom of each to look like the edge of the lemon peel!
All images via Studio DIY.