Known for over five decades as the “Queen of Funk,” Chaka Khan has sold over 70 million albums worldwide with her irresistible vocal blend of R&B, soul, pop, and disco. Think you know why everyone’s always talkin’ about Chaka? Then take the quiz!
1. Chaka was born on March 23, 1953, in ___________.
a. Brooklyn, NY
b. Ventura, CA
c. Chicago, IL
d. Gary, IN
2. Which of the following is also a name Chaka has used when not going by Chaka Khan?
a. Yvette Marie Stevens
b. Chaka Adunne Aduffe
c. Yemoja Hodarhi Karifi Khan
d. All of the above
3. Chaka was the first R&B singer to have a crossover hit featuring a rapper in 1984 with the song ______, originally written and recorded by Prince.
a. “I’m Every Woman”
b. “I Feel for You”
c. “This Is My Night”
d. “Through the Fire”
4. In 2020, Chaka performed on The Masked Singer as which character?
a. Miss Monster
5. Complete the following Chaka quote:
“I never thought I’d feel this way, but
the older I get, the ____ I feel.”
by Emily Rems
Answer key: 1. c, 2. d, 3. b, 4. a, 5. a
This article originally appeared in BUST’s Summer 2022 print edition. Subscribe today!