As you have probably seen or heard, our fearless, trash-bag-shaped approximation of a president—in a move that endangers the lives and the healthcare of American women, trans men, and nonbinary folks—dropped a metaphorical bomb earlier this week. In a speech before an anti-choice organization hilariously named after Susan B. Anthony, Trump announced a “gag rule” prohibiting health care providers that offer abortion services, abortion-related counseling, or referrals to abortion providers from receiving federal Title X grant funding.
So! Since we know that critical thinking isn’t a strong suit of his, we thought we’d put together a fun little list to remind our president—and vice-president, and members of Congress, and anti-choicers everywhere—just what abortion actually is.
2. A safe medical procedure to which Americans have a constitutional right.
4. A family planning choice and an alternative to parenting or adoption.
6. A necessary option for pregnant people who cannot afford, are not ready to, or do not want to carry the pregnancy to term.
8. Life-saving in many pregnancy conditions, including preeclampsia, infection, and disease.
10. A private decision made privately by a patient in collaboration with a doctor as part of that patient’s health care, which is private.
12. Essential to women and trans and nonbinary folks’ bodily autonomy.
We won’t go back.
top photo: Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt pro-choice demonstration in front of SCOTUS, by jordanuhl7 via Wikimedia Commons
More from BUST