LEARN HOW TO GET THE LINDA LINDAS’ LITERAL CAT-EYE LOOK
MAKEUP ARTIST VALERIE VONPRISK created this clever eyeliner design for the band the Linda Lindas, which they wore in their “Growing Up” music video. “Because the Linda Lindas love cats so much—they have cats in their songs and cat merch—the video’s director asked me to incorporate some sort of creative cat-inspired look for the eye makeup. Thus, the kitty liner was born!” The band’s new album, also called Growing Up, will be out April 8 on Epitaph Records. -Kerry-Anne Loughman
HERE ARE VONPRISK’S DIRECTIONS FOR ACHIEVING THE ULTIMATE “KITTY LINER” LOOK:
1. Clean the eye area and get rid of any excess oils. If you have eyelids with a lot of creases, use a transparent/clear eyeshadow base. I like to use MAC Prep + Prime Eye Base ($25, maccosmetics.com) for its transparency.
2. Use a gel eyeliner, like MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack ($19, maccosmetics.com), and a small, pointy artist’s brush, like the MAC 210 Synthetic Precise Eye Liner Brush ($21, maccosmetics.com) to draw a half-moon on your eyelid. This is the body of the kitty. You want it to subtly peek out when your eye is open without it being too overwhelming.
3. For the kitty tail, just draw a nice, long line from the outer corner of the kitty body towards your temple. Have fun with it: You can curl it up, make it straight, draw it thin, or lay it thick, do whatever you want!
4. Take your brush and draw an “M” shape (or an “11” with a “V” in the middle) from your inner eye up to almost the beginning of your eyebrow. This is the kitty head and ears. Make sure the ears are nice and pointy! When your eyes are open, it should almost look like eyelashes on the inner part of your eye.
5. The final touch–the kitty eyes–can have a huge effect on the look. Make sure you use a water-resistant or waterproof paint to dot two eyes on the kitty head. I like to use MAC Acrylic Paint in Primary Yellow ($23, maccosmetics.com). If you want to add extra oomph, line your waterline and curl your lashes.
The Final Look
Growing Up, the debut album by the Linda Lindas, is out now.
Photographed by Jeaneen Lund
This article originally appeared in BUST's Spring 2022 print edition. Subscribe today!
Kerry-Anne holds a BA in English from Saint Mary's College of California and an MFA in Creative Writing: Nonfiction from Eastern Washington University. She lives in Spokane, Washington with her cat, Charlie. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @kaloughman.