If you were a teen in the ’90s, there’s a good chance Drew Barrymore was your fashion icon. No one embodied the thrift-store-as-your-stylist vibe quite like she did. The actress made satiny slip dresses paired with a choppy, bleached ‘do and daisy hair clips iconic. She was also the decade’s ultimate bad girl—flashing David Letterman, hanging out with Courtney Love, over-plucking her brows with abandon—and the 1992 film Poison Ivy was the genesis of this journey.
As Ivy, Drew is a seductive Lolita-type who causes strife in the family of a classmate (Sara Gilbert!), all while wearing oversized jackets, crop tops, and great big hair. It’s a look we’re obsessed with at Fishnet Flix (fishnetflix.com), the podcast I co-host with Blaire Bercy, where we delve deep into cinematic fashion and the movie looks that shaped us. If you want to incorporate some of that ’90s bad-girl style for yourself, these Ivy-approved picks will get you there. Just don’t forget the hairspray.
1. Adriana Iglesias Madison Silk Satin Top, $430, OLIVELA.COM
2. ColourPop Lippie Stix in Love Life, $5.50, COLOURPOP.COM
3. Levi’s Oversize Faux Leather Moto Jacket, $88, NORDSTROM.COM
4. Aquanet Professional Hairspray, 2 for $5, WALGREENS.COM
5. The Perfect Jean Short, $64.50, MADEWELL.COM
6. Crap Eyewear The New Riddim Sunglasses, $75, CRAPEYEWEAR.COM
7. Ariat Heritage Western Boots, $149.95, ZAPPOS.COM
8. Silver Onyx Bracelet, $179.99, SILVERTRIBE.COM
By Marie Lodi of Fishnet Flix
This article Originally appeared in the January/February 2019 print edition of BUST Magazine. Subscribe today!
More from BUST