Mix up some polish with this super-simple DIY
The world of nail polish has gotten much bigger in the past few years, with scores of indie brands offering hundreds of new colors, textures, and finishes (see next page for a few of our faves). Of course, those artisans craft their wares using special potions and powders, but you can make your own polish in a much easier way, using materials you probably already have on hand. Your end result won’t be nearly as profesh, but it will work (we made the purple polish worn by the hand on this page). Plus, you can polish off this DIY in under an hour.
1 bottle clear topcoat (any kind will do)
1 pressed-powder eye shadow
8½" x 11" sheet of paper
index card or stiff paper
pencil with eraser or orange stick
shot glass or small plastic cup
small plastic funnel (optional)
paper towel or other disposable covering for workspace.
1. Put down paper towel; this project can ?be messy.
2. Fold paper in half, widthwise. Create a sharp crease. Unfold paper and lay in front of you with “valley” side of crease facing up.
3. Using the pencil point, scrape eye shadow out of palette into the center of the paper. Using the flat side of the eraser, carefully crush the eye shadow until there are no lumps.
4. Curl the index card to create a funnel so the pointy end is small enough to fit into your polish bottle, then tape.
5. Pour a small amount of the topcoat into ?your shot glass to make room for the eye shadow powder, then place index-card funnel into bottle.
6. Carefully pour the powder into the funnel by gently holding the sides of the paper together, with one hand, so all powder falls into the crease. Then, continuing to hold the paper together, align one end of the fold with the top of the funnel, and tip the paper, slightly. Lightly tap the bottom (crease) so the powder slides into the funnel and bottle. Tap until all the powder is in the bottle.
7. Return brush to bottle and shake hard until mixed completely.
STYLIST: MAYA ROSSI; MANICURIST: LOLLY KOON; MODEL: ANNA MARIA CANDRAMAN
PHOTOGRAPHED BY JOHN LAWTON
This article originally appeared in the August/September 2017 print edition of BUST Magazine. Subscribe today!
More from BUST