The sensational spring season is in full bloom here at BUST and waking us up from our long hibernation is none other than Schitt’s Creek’s sunniest star, Annie Murphy, on the cover of our new issue! Inside, we’ve got foxy singer-songwriter Alex Cameron, a supercool chat with Reservation Dogs’ Devery Jacobs, indie-rock icon Chan Marshall of Cat Power, and much more!
And Get Ready For Even More Tasty Tidbits, Including: The marvelous Ms. Mitski; Celebrating the folkloric ferocity of Baba Yaga; A trivia tribute to bell hooks; Dress like the Golden Girls; DIY mosaic tiling; Acres and acres of shrooms; And MUCH More!
Table of Contents Spring 2022
On Schitt’s Creek, Annie Murphy coined the phrase “Ew David,” had us singing along to “A Little Bit Alexis,” and earned a well-deserved Emmy. Now she’s back, and her future just keeps getting brighter.
By Niesha Davis
A Shroom of One’s Own
Mushrooms are definitely having a moment. But the connection between women and mycology goes way (way!) back. By Alanna Burns
Read My Lips
How TikTok helped one woman feel less alone in her bathing-suit zone.
By Kristen Pizzo
As her musical alter ego Cat Power, singer/songwriter Chan Marshall has lived all of her nine lives to the fullest.
By Eliza C. Thompson
Not Your Basic Witch
Supernatural Slavic folk heroine Baba Yaga may eat kids and flay arrogant men alive, but she can still be a role model for women looking for an icon with bite. By Madame Pamita
Marvelously modern looks modeled by Mitski. Photographed by Diana King, Styled by Amanda O’Connor
Cover photo by Caitlin Cronenberg. Illustration above by APAK Studio.
- Reservation Dogs’ Devery Jacobs; Noname’s Book Club; the first Indigenous woman-owned airline; and more.
- The Hotness The hottest winter pop-culture picks. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour Awesome Aussie Alex Cameron. By Sammy Maine
- Museum of Femoribilia Funny, you don’t look bluish. By Lynn Peril
- Pop Quiz R.I.P. bell hooks. By Emily Rems
- Turn the world on with your tile; animator Andrea Love’s wonderful world of wool; NFTs 101; and more.
- God to know: Tidbits and treats for making life better.
- Eat Me You look radishing! By Chef Rossi
- Style advice from fashion marketer Sara Camposarcone; dressing for the revolution; an eye-makeup trick that’s the cat’s meow; and more.
- Booty Call: These socks are sheer perfection. By Callie Watts
- Cat Eye Tutorial with The Linda Lindas!
- Get This Look Stay Golden. (Golden Girls Fashion) By Callie Watts
CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT (ANDREA LOVE) SARA WRIGHT; (BABA YAGA) DILEK BAYKARA; (MITSKI) DIANA KING; (MEALS 4 HEALS): NIKEISAH NEWTON; (CAT POWER) MARIO SORENTI; (MILA DE LA GARZA) JEANEEN LUND
The BUST Guide
- Music Reviews; plus a sneak peek at the new Poly Styrene doc!
- Movies Marvelous and the Black Hole saw what was Happening and decided We’re All Going To The World’s Fair.
- Books Reviews; plus ways to fight censorship at your local library.
- Sex Files: Meals 4 Heels feeds sex workers what they crave; and more.
- Answers from the Queen: Don’t toss your vibe until you give these tips a try. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read Butterfly Stampede. By April Rafferty
- Tarotscopes Find out what’s in the cards for Spring By Sarah Potter
- X games “Up in Smoke.” By Tracy Bennett
- “Leda and the Swan.” By Darla Teagarden