We recently came across a piece on HuffPost entitled 10 Reasons Women Should Date Men In Their 50s. Basically, it asserts that women everywhere must wait for men to turn the magic five-o before expecting them to be respectful, responsible, and sensitive human beings—a message that's not only offensive to the female sex, but to all good dudes everywhere.
What's more? The subtext of the entire piece speaks to why younger women should date men in their 50s. Newsflash: Women in their 50s are happy to date men their own age. This post is about enticing thirty-somethings (and below) to think outside their own age group and maybe loosen up their Tinder age settings.
In any case, the writer behind this piece (as well as another entitled Why Men Should Date Women In Their 50s, which of course features a May-December image of Anne Bancroft and Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate) is definitely not the kind of guy we'd keep on our dance card. Without further ado (or much enthusiasm, really), here's his reasoning behind why young fillies should gravitate to a silver stallion. Yee. Freakin'. Haw.
1. "He's mature." At 50, he damn well better be, but then again we'd say the same thing at 40, at 30, and to a certain degree at 20. Youth isn't an excuse for not taking ownership of your actions, and the idea that all women should aim for men in the 50+ age category so that young men have a chance to grow up is Super Bullshit.
2. "He's got grey hair." So do a lot of people these days. It's a tress trend. Get with the program.
3. "He's better in bed." We're going to say this one more time: Why should women have to wait for a man to get better in bed for forty years? A good partner is someone who pays attention to you no matter what age demographic he falls within, and we have to say... someone that took nearly half a century to become a considerate sex partner might have some other issues to get on top of.
4. "He loves kids, but he doesn't burden you with his own." Is this because his ex has custody so he doesn't see them all that often? Or that he wouldn't want you to burden him with your own kids so it's only fair? What is HAPPENING here.
We're just going to band these next few together, because come the fuck on.
5. "He makes date plans and then sticks to them."
6. "He's physically fit."
7. "He's financially stable."
8. "He knows he's gonna pay on the first date." Guess what, guy: Not every woman wants that, and the assumption that you think we do is problematic.
9. "He's well traveled in the world." We can't actually find anything wrong with this one, because travel is a good thing. But not totally sure about what it's supposed to communicate in terms of why you should date an older guy. 10. "He doesn't want you to mother him." Sigh. Well, that's good. But--last time--does that mean that a decade ago he did?
Drops mic. Exits stage.
Image c/o Manplaining Paul Ryan Tumblr