Here at BUST HQ, the holiday season is in full swing and our December/January issue is shaping up to be a real sweet treat, starting with our indie film cover queen, Greta Gerwig! Inside, we’ve got an inspiring interview with Congresswoman Maxine Waters; a revealing report on the truth behind the Lizzie Borden murders; BUST’s famous Holiday Gift Guide; and more.
Table of Contents Dec/Jan 2018FEATURES
Greta the Great
Indie actor Greta Gerwig stepped behind the camera to write and direct Lady Bird, and created the best female coming-of-age film in years. By Jenni Miller
Going to the Mat
Bolivia’s high-flying indigenous female wrestlers will knock you out. By Asa Merritt with additional reporting by Eduardo Leal
Reclaiming Her Time
Congresswoman Maxine Waters of California shares how to reach the votes to impeach. By Jamia Wilson
Holiday Gift Guide
Thrifty, nifty buys that support female-owned businesses, give back to worthy causes, and are just plain rad.
The Female Gaze
Artist Dani Lessnau lodges a pinhole camera inside her vadge to create incredibly intimate images. By Miss Rosen
Crime of the Century
Did Lizzie Borden get away with murder? Or was she an innocent bystander convicted by history? By Erynn Porter
About New Year’s Eve
Head-turning looks to brighten up the end of 2017. Photographed by Meredith Jenks, Styled by Alison Lewis
- Trans comic Patti Harrison speaks jokes to power; Indonesian metal girls; breast milk delivered by biker babes; and more.
- The Hotness: Sparkling pop culture gems. By Emily Rems
- Museum of Femoribilia: Cheers and jeers for International Women’s Year. By Lynn Peril
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Boy du Jour: Jay Pharoah becomes White Famous. By Sabrina Ford
- Pop Quiz: You just got Hepburn-ed. By Emily Rems
- Deconstructed wreaths are all the rage; weightlifting 101; car care tips by women for women; and more.
- Eat Me: Awesome black-eyed peas and cornbread. By Chef Rossi
- You Go, Girl: Berlin is in! By Anda Corrie
- Fash advice from blogger/illustrator/photographer/model Kailey Flyte; the spiky history of hatpins; customize your own pussy bow; and more.
- Buy or Diy: Preserve your fave flowers in resin charms. By Callie Watts
- Good Stuff: Bright buys to beat the winter blues. By Stephanie J.
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus an interview with Hole drummer Patty Schemel!
- Movies: I, Tonya discovered The Shape of Water In the Fade.
- Books: Reviews; plus new true crime titles.
- You never forget your first vibe ride; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Humping a Trump-y and getting wet in the shower. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: O is for Orange. By Julie Liu
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Sonia Ana Ortiz
- X Games: Make Me. By Tracy Bennett
- Party Pix: Sweet snaps from the BUST Craftacular @ World Maker Faire!
- The Last Laugh: Tammy Pierce gets detention. By Esther Pearl Watson