Table of Contents Summer 2020
Freedia Be You And Me
New Orleans’ bounce superstar Big Freedia is “bringing people together through the power of ass.” By Emily Rems
To date, America has only had one homegrown, domestic terrorist cell led by women—and they had a blast. By Rachel Leibrocks
When flappers took over the funnies in the 1920s, it was women cartoonists doing the drawing. By Miss Rosen
Rumor Has It
Country music rebel Margo Price is ready to rock. By Kathy Iandoli
How To Get To Sesame Street
True children’s television tales from the women who bring Grundgetta Grouch, Abby Cadabby, Prairie Dawn, Zoe, and more to life. By Phoenix Leigh
Don’t sleep on these sweet summer styles. Photographed by Kat Borchart, Styled by Jardine Hammond
PHOTOS: LEVON THURMAN HAWKE (MAYA HAWKE); COURTESY OF THE FLAPPER QUEENS: WOMEN CARTOONISTS OF THE JAZZ AGE BY TRINA ROBBINS, FANTAGRAPHICS, 2020 (FLAPPER); ANNIE MONTGOMERIE (FELT CATS); SEHER SIKANDER (JABOUKIE YOUNG-WHITE)
- Stranger Things’ Maya Hawke; amazing animal artist Annie Montgomerie; “The Black Girl Bill of Rights;” and more.
- The Hotness: Summertime pop culture finds. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Comedian Jaboukie Young-White keeps it light. By Bry’onna Mention
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz: Remembering rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Big Mama Thornton. By Emily Rems
- Get your fizz on with tepache; unleash the dark goddess within; spread some sweetness with raspberry honey jam; and more.
- Good to Know: Bits and bobs for making life better. By Lisa Butterworth
- You Go, Girl: Live tu vida loca in sunny L.A. By Lisa Butterworth
- Fashion advice from vintage expert Sam Klein; pretty painted peepers; a peek inside Alice Bag’s cosmetics bag; and more.
- Good Stuff: Let’s get physical. By Stephanie J.
- Get This Look: Go Overboard with styles inspired by Goldie Hawn’s most fashion-forward film. By Callie Watts
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus Israeli pop princess Netta!
- Movies: The Truth is that selling your Babyteeth will make you a Kajillionaire.
- Books: Reviews; plus bibliophile banter with Ann Friedman, Aminatou Sow, Kim Krans, and Roxane Gay!
- Novelist Jasmine Guillory’s tips for writing sex right; and more.
- Answers from the Queen: Arousal 101. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Cold Kissed. By T.C. Mill
- Cosmic Vibes: Queen of Kings. By Emmalea Russo
- X Games: Miss Interpretation. By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance: Untitled. By Helen Rae