Table of Contents Sept/Oct 2019
And Justice For All
Law & Order: SVU star Mariska Hargitay symbolizes the kind of cops women wish we had protecting us. By Emily Rems
Fear of a Fat Planet
The racist roots of fatphobia date back to the 18th century, and these ideas still insidiously influence culture today.
By Sabrina Strings
Are the Kids Alright?
The woman whose mom wrote Reviving Ophelia reflects on the obstacles teen girls face, then and now. By Sara Gilliam
Pictures Worth A Thousand Words
Data journalist Mona Chalabi makes abstract concepts come to life with her activist art. By Miss Rosen
Word To Your Mother
Patricia Arquette finally got the recognition she deserves when she started taking on roles playing complex moms. By A.N. Devers
Field of Screams
Sun-dappled prairie dresses for the dark-at-heart. Photographed by Lauren Silberman, Styled by Ross Erin Martineau
PHOTOS: LAUREN SILBERMAN (METAL FASHION); JULIA DUNIN (IRELAND); ELISABETH CAREN (MANNY JACINTO); ILLUSTRATION: CAMILLE CHEW
- Jillian Bell hits her stride; rideshare safety tips; Little Miss Flint; and more.
- The Hotness: Pure pop-culture perfection. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: We want Manny Jacinto in our Good Place. By Jennifer Chen
- Museum of Femoribilia: The herstory of Halloween in America. By Lynn Peril
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz: Our beloved Doris Day has passed away. By Emily Rems
- DIY lampshades; teaching kids consent; craft a creepy planchette; and more.
- Eat Me: Turnip for what? By Chef Rossi
- You Go, Girl: Travel your way in Galway! By Lesley Hobbs
- Fashion advice from activist Candace Reels; skincare secrets from Brujita; DIY knot necklaces; and more.
- Booty Call: Make the moment magical with iridescent everything! By Callie Watts
- Good Stuff: The sweetest reasons to shop this candy season. By Stephanie J.
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of Kim Gordon!
- Movies: Vita & Virginia confirmed to Judy that Britt-Marie Was Here.
- Books: Reviews; plus June Diane Raphael on her new book Represent.
- Diving deep on DILFs; and more.
- Questions for the Queen What’s trickier—getting through airport security or finding a person’s inguinal canal? By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Country Living. By Lauren Emily
- Cosmic Vibes: Horoscopes for September/October 2019. By Lisa Stardust
- Party Pix: Sweet snaps from BUST’s epic events with Nike and Pussy Power House.
- X Games:She’s Gotta Have It. By Tracy Bennett
- The Last Laugh: Tammy takes up photography. By Esther Pearl Watson