Table of Contents Feb/Mar 2018
The Marvelous Ms. Ritter
The electrifying Netflix series Jessica Jones is back, and its star Krysten Ritter is just as badass
as the detective she plays. By Sara Benincasa
There She Is
Activists are flipping the script on sexist pageants by using them as platforms for social change.
By Liz Ellis Mayes
Watch The Throne
The hilarious 2 Dope Queens podcast is making the leap to HBO, and its stars Jessica Williams and Phoebe Robinson are totes blowing up. By Erika W. Smith
The Elephant in the Room
Got a racist uncle or a super-sexist sibling? These tips will help you combat intolerance at home while still keeping your sanity. By Jennifer L. Pozner
Japan’s first feminist magazine was founded in 1911, and it was so cool it was almost immediately banned. By Sarah Laskow
Abortion is Normal
We’re celebrating the 45th anniversary of Roe v. Wade with an audacious fashion spread masterminded by the activists behind #ShoutYourAbortion. Essay by Amelia Bonow, Photographed by Tawni Bannister, Styled by Katie James and Amelia Bonow
PHOTOS: JULIA STOTZ (FRUIT); ADDITIONELLE.COM (ASHLEY GRAHAM); TAWNI BANNISTER (LINDY WEST); ILLUSTRATION: ADA BUCHHOLC (WHORE-O-SCOPES)
- The Rundown’s Robin Thede; Students Conquering Cold Cases; Pussy Power House;
- The Hotness: Pop culture delights for cold winter nights. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Journalist Shaun King always fights for what’s right.
By Sabrina Ford
- Pop Quiz: Roseanne is back! By Emily Rems
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Homemade horchata; tricked-out pillows; The RBG Workout; and more.
- Caking Bad: Deluxe nut butters. By Terry Hope Romero
- You Go, Girl: Northampton, Mass, kicks ass. By Lindsay Valentin
- Style advice from event planner and musician Janeth Gonda; DIY hair masks; the Victorians’ secret fan language; and more.
- Good Stuff: These colorful buys are a sight for sore eyes. By Stephanie J.
- Booty Call: Next-level loungewear. By Callie Watts
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of the Breeders!
- Movies: Roxanne, Roxanne is looking for Thoroughbreds—Please Stand By.
- Books: Reviews; plus new titles at the intersection of activism, feminism, and race.
- You never forget your first vibe ride; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Oral risks and strap-on tips. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Read Lane and Lace. By Alex Slaine
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Sonia Ana Ortiz
- Party Pix: Sweet snaps from our Brooklyn and London BUST Craftaculars!
- X Games: Bend It, Don’t Break It. By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance: “The Toilet of Venus After Boucher.” By Genieve Figgis