Summer is heating up here at BUST HQ and glamorous go-getters are all over our June/July issue, starting with our awesomely outspoken cover star, Amandla Stenberg! Inside, we’ve got an interview with trans justice pioneer Janet Mock; a revealing essay by a woman who divorced her mom; a guide for gals who want to run for office; an intriguing historical piece on a legendary tribe of sub-Saharan warrior women; and more.
ON THE COVER: Amandla Stenberg Photographed By Kat Borchart; Styling By Jardine Hammond; Hair And Makeup By Danielle Mitchell; Top: Prinkshop Eroticize Equality T-Shirt; Samantha Pleet Pants; Leigh Miller Earrings; Sydney Evan Ring.
Table of Contents June/July 2017
Actor and activist Amandla Stenberg has a way with words. And millions online are following her progressive lead. By Lisa Butterworth
Don’t Get Mad, Get Elected!
A primer for women who are curious about candidacy. By Jill Miller Zimon
Trans-rights pioneer Janet Mock makes the personal political. By Jamia Wilson
No Ordinary Love
Getting out of an abusive relationship is critical self-care. But what happens when your abuser is your mom? By Samantha Ladwig
Conquer Or Die
Meet the fierce female warriors who terrified men far and wide for over a century. By Johanna Gohmann
Wild summer styles modeled by the band L.A. Witch. Photographed by Molly Cranna, Styled by Hilary Folks
Illustration: Mai Ly Degnan; Photos: Heather Moore (House Of Collection); Molly Cranna (Flamingo Fashion); Linda Xiao (Nail Polish)
- Chewing Gum’s Michaela Coel; making school safer for girls in Kenya; Pretty Big Movement shakes up the dance world; and more.
- The Hotness: Pop culture to savor now and later. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Boy du Jour Hasan Minhaj’s hair secret—revealed! By Erika W. Smith
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz: How will you score on Mary Tyler Moore? By Emily Rems
- Have a ball with poke bowls; start a feminist support group; Brooklyn’s coolest loft; and more.
- Caking Bad: When life gives you lemons, make the world’s most bangin’ beverage! By Terry Hope Romero
- You Go, Girl: Pop your cork in Hudson Valley, New York. By Valerie Bronte
- Style advice from designer Amarachi Ukachu; sugar scrubs to sweeten your next shower sesh; Niecy Nash gives good face; and more.
- get this look Glam it up with G.L.O.W. By Callie Watts
- Booty Call: Mountains of marvelous mermaid merch. By Callie Watts
- Good Stuff: Road-trip must-haves. By Stephanie J.
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of Feist!
- Movies: Maudie told Megan Leavey she came From the Land of the Moon.
- Books: Reviews; plus brief books by big names.
- Getting back in the saddle after trauma; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: An oral-shy bro and no big o. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Thankful. By Lauren Emily
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Jonna Bond
- Party Pix: Sweet snaps from BUST Craftacular’s Primped!
- X Games: To Wit. By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance: “Leaning In.” By Laura Berger
More from BUST
Amandla Stenberg - "Sometimes I Feel Like A Boy When I Wake Up": Sneak Peek At BUST's June/July 2017 Cover Story
Amber Tamblyn's Poetry Corner: "Serpentine Loop" by Elee Kraljii Gardiner
Solange On Intersectional Feminism And "A Seat At The Table": BUST Interview