Table of Contents Aug/Sept 2018
As the lead in Crazy Rich Asians, Constance Wu is setting a new standard for what it means to be a Hollywood leading lady. By Jennifer Chen
Second to Nun
An eccentric order of Nepalese nuns is creating some surprisingly feminist new traditions up in the Himalayas. By Amanda Abrams
Michelle Wolf—the comedian who set the White House Correspondents’ Dinner ablaze—opens up about being fearlessly funny. By Lizz Winstead
Mexican street artist Victoria Villasana creates mixed-media portraits that can’t be contained by any frame. By Lisa Butterworth
Shoplifters of the World
A secret society of teen girls is uniting online, bound by their shared desire to steal as much as possible. By Rosie Albrecht
Sure, cults are hella scary. But their clothes are pretty cool. Photographed by Kristyna Archer, Styled by Serra Geris
PHOTOS: KRISTYNA ARCHER (FASHION); DAVID S. WHITE (DRAG); VICTORIA VILLASANA (STREET ART); JULIA STOTZ (FREAKEBANA); ILLUSTRATION: ANGELA HO
- Stranger Things’ Shannon Purser; the Resistance Revival Chorus; Instagram’s 90-year-old selfie queen; and more.
- The Hotness: The season’s tastiest pop-culture treats. By Emily Rems
- Museum of Femoribilia: The undressing of Burt Reynolds. By Lynn Peril
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Boy du Jour: John Cho is the man we’ve been Searching for. By Sara Benincasa
- Flower arranging gets freakebana; the best self-care podcasts; how to run your own voter registration drive; and more.
- Eat Me: Classy-yet-casual recipes for rosé season. By Chef Rossi
- You Go, Girl: Say “Hi!” to Shanghai! By Niesha Davis
- Fashion advice from artist Patricia Fox; DIY espadrilles; learning the art of drag; and more.
- Booty Call: Back that (fanny) pack up! By Callie Watts
- Good Stuff: Indulge in the best beachy buys. By Stephanie J.
- Buy or Diy: Amazing accessories made from living plants. By Cricket Epstein
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews;plus the return of Neneh Cherry!
- Movies: The Miseducation of Cameron Post drove Madeline’s Madeline into the Skate Kitchen with Nico, 1988.
- Books: Reviews; plus motherhood is tough stuff.
- What every trans man should be asking his gyno; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Tame that gag reflex and try some anal sex. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Teeth and the Occasional Spank. By Sionna Fox
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Sonia Ana Ortiz
- X Games: Round Robin. By Tracy Bennett
- Party Pics: Sweet snaps from The BUST Craftacular and BUST School for Creative Living in Brooklyn!
- The Last Laugh: Tammy Pierce catches movie mania. By Esther Pearl Watson