Table of Contents June/July 2018
Creative visionary and musical revolutionary Erykah Badu has always been ahead of her time. By Jamia Wilson
25 Top Feminist Pop-Culture Moments from the Past 25 Years
Our fave cultural happenings that erupted and disrupted while we’ve been making BUST.
Swedish painter Hilma af Klint created some of the very first examples of abstract art. So why hasn’t anyone heard of her? By Miss Rosen
Multitalented provocateur Amber Tamblyn’s explosive new novel, Any Man, is tackling rape culture head-on. By Cristin O’Keefe Aptowicz
Feminists interested in speaking out and bucking the status quo are finding a surprising new home—in Satanism. By Christine Colby
Come As You Are
Do you remember what lewks were all the rage when BUST was born? We do! Photographed by Tamara Gajic, Styled by Heather Newberger
PHOTOS: JOEL BARHAMAND (HEATHER BUCKLEY); TAMARA GAJIC (’90S FASHION); CARLI WENTWORTH (OAHU, HAWAII); ILLUSTRATION: HANNAH LI
- Betty Gilpin is lighting up GLOW; #DisabledAndCute; Claws’ Karrueche Tran; and more.
- The Hotness: Summer’s most major pop-culture moments. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Tituss Burgess is not who you think he is. By Erika W. Smith
- Pop Quiz: Twenty-five years of BUST Magazine! By Emily Rems
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Marvelous macramé; being a postpartum pal; composting 101; and more.
- Caking Bad: Tricked out almond milk ice cream. By Terry Hope Romero
- You Go, Girl: Say “Aloha” to Oahu, Hawaii! By Valerie Bronte
- Fashion advice from Brooklyn artist Alok; curly-hair-care tips from The Doux; freshen your face with a DIY massage; and more.
- Booty Call: ‘Tis the season for day drinking. By Callie Watts
- Good Stuff: Travel essentials for gals on-the-go. By Stephanie J.
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of Lily Allen!
- Movies: Remember That Summer in Eighth Grade with RBG?
- Books: Reviews; plus the women changing entertainment one show at a time.
- A peek inside Austria’s legal sex trade; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Kink “munch” events and snacking on ass. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Over Caffeinated. By Ginger Snapped
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Sonia Ana Ortiz
- X Games: Consensual Language. By Tracy Bennett
- Parting Glance: “WCW.” By Nina Chanel Abney