The last three nights have been a mess. The kind of mess only to be produced when you gather hundreds of wealthy, racist, women-hating people, stuff them into one room, and encourage vulgarity, yelling, and overall tomfoolery. There are almost too many ridiculous things happening at and in response to the Republican National Convention to keep track, but here is a list of just five things that have really blown the top off the GOP sanity lid.
1. In a pre-convention panel, a Republican Representative from Iowa, Steve King, claimed that white people have contributed more to civilization more than anyone. Saying, “It's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization." This boy is just too confused.
2. Laura Ingraham, a conservative talk show host, gave a speech Wednesday night, encouraging us all to vote, vote, vote for Trump. This is all to be expected, but the end was a disaster. As she lifted her hand to wave to the crowd, she very unmistakably did a Nazi salute. There has been so much Nazi propaganda and Hitler comparisons this election and this salute, whether a serious Freudian slip or not, is really an unfortunate reminder of how misguided so many Trump followers truly are. It's too scary to look away.
3. We’re all familiar with Melania Trump’s plagiarized speech (in case you aren't, here's a BUST article that covered it!) and the subsequent twitterfest—some really great memes have been generated, all of which are so on point. On Wednesday, a name was given to the speech writer, Meredith McIver, who is apparently a lifelong friend of the Trumps and has been previously blamed for faults in the books she co-wrote with Trump. All his drama is something for the next book, hopefully, titled, “How My Life Crumpled After Losing The Presidential Election.”
4. Then there is all the Hillary hate. Al Baldasaro, a New Hampshire state representative and veteran relations advisor for Trump, claimed on a radio show covering the convention that Hillary Clinton "should be put in the firing line and shot for treason" because of Benghazi. Let me repeat. "A FIRING LINE." As in murder. This is so unacceptable, regardless of your stance on the events. Thankfully, this Baldasaro character is now under investigation.
5. Additionally, Ben Carson connected Hillary Clinton to Lucifer, the Devil himself. LOL. The convention might as well be a Hillary roast, but not a light-hearted funny one, one that raises legitimate concerns that someone might ACTUALLY roast Hillary.
I wish I could say this is all some silly after school special in a far-away fantasy world, but unfortunately, it's real life. And real life carried very real consequences, all of which we will see play out in the coming months. Hold tight BUSTies, this election is going to a tough ride.
More from BUST