A mass shooting in Orlando at the popular gay nightclub Pulse Orlando left 50 people dead, including the gunman, and 53 people wounded, making this the largest mass shooting in U.S. history. Authorities continue to investigate the attack as the country mourns the victims and searches for appropriate ways to respond. Here are a few ways you can help the victims and their families.
1. Send snacks, water, juice, and fruit to blood donation centers: The OneBlood center sent out an urgent call for blood donations that was met with an overwhelming response. The blood bank has reached capacity for now, but those who want to donate are encouraged to return in the next few days. This response has led to a shortage of food and drinks to give the donors after the donation.
2. Donate to the GoFundMe page for victims: All funds raised on this page will go directly to the victims and families affected by Orlando’s Pulse Nightclub. To ensure proper distribution of funds, Equality Florida, who posted the page, is working with local organizations, who are also helping raise funds. Donate to the GoFundMe here.
3. Sign a condolence card to the Orlando community and vow to do more in the fight to end gun violence: Add your name to this condolence message to Orlando. Let the Orlando community know that they do not stand alone in the wake of this horrific tragedy. Sign the card here.
4. Support the LGBT community: The details behind the shooting are still being unraveled. We do not know much about the shooter or why he chose the Pulse Orlando club specifically, but we do know that the tragedy struck a gay nightclub and has personally hit the LGBT community. Show support by donating to Orlando’s LGBT Center or the Orlando Youth Alliance. Find local organizations with It Gets Better’s state-by-state list of LGBT non-profits here.
5. Contact your local representative: Contact your local representative or state senator and ask them to fight for gun control. Find the representative of your district here or write to your state senator here.
Photo via Facebook
More from BUST