This week is Trans Week, and to celebrate, we’ve rounded up 15 examples of visible transgender men and women to highlight their achievements.
1. Martine Rothblatt, creator of Sirius radio and the highest-paid female executive in the US. image via YouTube
2. Jamie Clayton, co-host of VH1 makeover show TRANSform Me, actress on Netflix series Sense8.
3. Jennifer Finney Boylan, professor at Barnard College, first openly transgender co-chair of GLAAD’s National Board of Directors image via YouTube
4. Laverne Cox, first transgender actress to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award, star of Netflix hit Orange is the New Black, and former BUST magazine cover star!
5. Andreja Pejic, first transgender model to appear in Vogue. image via Wikimedia Commons
6. Caroline "Tula" Cossey, first transgender Playboy model & Bond girl (For Your Eyes Only).
7. Jazz Jennings, reality TV star and role model for transgender youth. image via @JazzJennings_ on Twitter
8. Alexis Arquette, film star and cabaret performer, famous for cult classic independent films. image via Nightwish Fan on flickr
9. Laura Jane Grace, founder, lead singer, guitarist and songwriter of punk band Against Me! image via Wikimedia Commons
10. Isis King, contestant on seasons 11 and 17 of America’s Next Top Model and first trans woman on the show to compete on the show. image via Wikipedia
11. Janet Mock, transgender rights activist, New York Times best-selling author, and contributing editor for Marie Claire. image via Wikipedia
12. Chaz Bono, musician, actor, writer, and LGBT advocate. image via Wikimedia Commons
14. Hari Nef, model, writer and actress on AmazonPrime series Transparent.
15. The Wachowski Sisters (Lana & Lilly), directing team responsible for The Matrix franchise, V for Vendetta, Cloud Atlas, and the Netflix series Sense8. image of Lana via anna Hanks on flickr, photo of Lilly her own.
We want to thank you for being role models to the transgender community and to the world at large. Through your contributions to our culture and your public presence, you bring acceptance and tolerance to the forefront of our society. Thank you, we salute you!
More from BUST
Meghan Sara is a tour guide for Ghosts, Murders and Mayhem Walking Tours. She is open-minded about everything, but intolerant to gluten. She blogs at meghansara.com, is a regular contributor to Femnasty, and tweets her feelings @MeghanSaraK.