Summer may not have officially started yet, but the summer heat is HERE. I spent this past weekend with my sweaty skin sticking to subway seats, leather couches, and my boyfriend. I probably spent most of my time peeling myself off of things.
I am not made for this kind of heat. It's clearly here to make me suffer. Getting into cars that have been baking out in the sun in 90 degree weather? It's THE WORST. Almost as bad as trying to fall asleep in a room with a window that refuses to open, and a broken fan. Waking up in that kind of torture chamber is almost nearly impossible.
While, the easiest way to beat the heat is to crank up the A/C and resign yourself to staying inside your bubble of climate control, it's also the priciest and least eco-friendly. So here are some greener ways to stay cool when it's as bad as a burning FURNACE OF HELL outside!:
1) GET WET. Seriously, sweating, jumping into the shower, and wearing wet t-shirts will keep you nice and cool. Sit in front of a fan with your wet clothes and you may be slightly uncomfortable from wearing wet clothes... but you won't be hot!
2) The body radiates heat from the hands, feet, face, and ears, so splashing cold water on any of these guys will provide some sweet relief.
3) GET NAKED. This is pretty self explanatory, and maybe awkward if you live with roommates, but it gets the job done.
4) RUN TO THE... Basement! Warm air rises, meaning that the more elevated you are, the hotter it's going to be.
5) Don't shine on me bro! No really, close them blinds, get the sun away from you! Make like a Lost Boy and avoid that sunlight.
6) Drink hot tea (mint tea is how they keep cool in Morocco), and take a hot shower. Your body will adjust to the heat and make the outside air feel a lot more bearable.
7) Channel your inner sloth: Don't move, don't exert energy. Just sit still and cool off.