The bullshit keeps on coming. As I’m sure many of you have already heard, a student-produced flyer entitled “Top Ten Ways to Get Away with Rape” was posted in a freshman men’s bathroom at Miami University in Ohio.
The suggestions--which range from fratty bro-outs (“its [sic] college boys, live it up!!”) to straight-up calls for violence against women who report sexual assault--are almost outlandish. Almost.
Whether this flyer was a joke, a prank, or a tone-deaf attempt at satire, it still needs to be taken seriously--and here's why.
Top Ten Reasons to Take “Top Ten Ways to Get Away With Rape” Seriously
1. It replaced a university-sanctioned “Top Ten Ways to Prevent Sexual Assault” flyer already posted in the bathroom.
2. Miami University officials waited several days to notify the rest of the student body about the flyer because “it didn’t pose an immediate threat.”
3. Women also live in the dorm where it was found.
4. Twenty-seven sexual assaults have been reported at the school since 2009.
5. And over half of sexual assaults go unreported.
6. One in four female students will be raped or sexually assaulted during their college careers.
7. This guy.
8. Oh, and this guy, too.
9. And definitely this whole mess.
10. Rape is a big fucking deal.
Miami University has been searching for a full-time sexual assault prevention coordinator for some time but “failed to find a suitable candidate.” Why not give the university’s human resources department a call to see if you can submit a resume?
Images via thestir.cafemom.comMaggie Carr has written about TV, feminism, fashion, and other kinds of lady business for BUST and Thought Catalog, among others. She's never not tweeting about Kanye West at @racecarr.