Coddle your kisser with DIY peppermint lip scrub and orange-clove balm
Harsh winter weather can leave your lips in need of some TLC. Thankfully, it’s a snap to make your own soothing lip scrub and hydrating lip balm to repair and restore your pucker. And make a bunch—they're great holiday gifts!
Peppermint Lip Scrub:
Makes approximately 12 4-oz jelly jars
• 1 cup vanilla bean-infused white sugar (Place a few whole vanilla beans in a jar of white sugar for a few days before use)
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 2 cups olive oil
• 1 tsp. peppermint extract or food- grade essential oil
Mix vanilla-sugar and brown sugar in a bowl. Stir in peppermint extract. Add the olive oil and mix until the texture resembles damp sand. Spoon the lip scrub into the jelly jars (available at amazon.com). It will keep for months in the fridge. (P.S. This doubles as a decadent body scrub.)
DIY Orange-Clove Balm:
Makes approximately 6 lip balm tubes or tins
• 1 Tbsp. beeswax (available at bulkapothecary.com)
• 2 Tbsp. shea butter (available at bulkapothecary.com)
• 2 Tbsp. sunflower oil
• 15 drops food-grade essential sweet orange oil
• 10 drops food-grade essential clove oil
In the upper portion of a double boiler, melt the beeswax, shea butter, and sunflower oil. Stir the solids as they melt. Once liquefied, remove from heat and quickly incorporate the essential oils. Use a glass dropper or spoon to fill the lip balm tubes/tins (available at amazon.com) with the mixture. If the mixture begins to harden before you finish filling, reheat over a low flame. Let the lip balm set for several hours before using. Store in a cool place.
By: Megan O. Andersen Read
Illustration: Jenny Zych
This article originally appeared in the December/January print edition of BUST Magazine. Subscribe today!
More from BUST