If you’re a glitter lover (pre or post holiday season) this DIY project is one that will add some glamour to your morning cup of joe AND it's dishwasher safe (no microwaves though!) Here’s what you’ll need:
- Martha Stewart decoupage gloss finish
- Painter’s tape
- A mug (solid colors work best!)
- Glitter (duh)
- Rubbing alcohol
Now put it all together:
- Do a once over on your mug with the rubbing alcohol, insuring that it is clean and fresh and ready to be glitterfied.
- Leaving about an inch from the rim of the cup, use the painter’s tape to set a border, we know you love glitter but you don't need a mouthful of it.
- Decoupage time! Brush the gloss all around the mug below the line of the painter's tape.
- GLITTER TIME: add your fave color of glitter all over the surface of the mug where the decoupage gloss is. Make sure to cover entirely!
- Peel off tape and set the mug mouth side down in a spot where your cat, partner, or curious child won't be tempted to play with it.
- The next day shake off the loose glitter that didn’t set the night before, aim for the garbage (or somebody's pillow if you're feeling mischievous/evil)
- Add another coat of decoupage (last one!) and let it dry overnight again
- Let the whole thing dry nice and long for about a month, add another layer of glossy decoupage to make it really shine.
Images and process courtesy of whitehouseblackshutters.com