We can't help but feel inspired when we watch women own the stage during their TED and TEDx talks. They may be brief, but they give us a taste of all the incredible ways ladies are shaping our world—whether they are authors, artists, activists, or teens just trying to figure it all out, when these speakers tell their stories and share their passions they stir something inside of us.
In that spirit, here is a compilation of nine empowering talks that reminded us what feminism is all about. We hope you enjoy them all as much as we did.
1) If I Have A Daughter - Sarah Kay
Spoken word poet Sarah Kay inspires her listeners with her speech about the power of self-expression.
2) The Price Of Shame - Monica Lewinsky
Public figure Monica Lewinsky bravely challenges our “culture of humiliation.”
3) This Isn’t Her Mother’s Feminism - Courtney Martin
Author Courtney Martin examines the loaded word “feminism” in our modern age.
4) Violence & Silence - Jackson Katz
Anti-sexism activist Jackson Katz discusses violence prevention, media, and masculinity.
5) For These Women, Reading Is A Daring Act - Laura Boushnak
Photographer Laura Boushnak advocates for women’s literacy around the world.
6) Pro-Sex, Pro-Porn, and Pro-Knowing the Difference - Cindy Gallop
Advertising expert Cindy Gallop discusses the importance of acknowledging the differences between sex and porn, especially for young generations.
7) A Teen Just Trying To Figure It Out - Tavi Gevinson
Rookie founder Tavi Gevinson talks modern feminism and empowerment for girls and young women.
8) How I Work To Protect Women From Honor Killings - Khalida Brohi
Activist Khalida Brohi discusses her campaign against the “honor killings” that sacrifice women for their “shameful” acts.
9) We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie broadens the definition of feminism and explains why every person should be a feminist.