It’s back-to-school season here at BUST HQ and brainy babes are all over our August/September issue, starting with our groundbreaking cover star, Gina Rodriguez of Jane the Virgin! Inside, we’ve got an interview with Women’s March organizer Linda Sarsour; a revealing essay by an adoptee who was forever changed once she finally met her birth family; a guide to the women-led “death-positive movement”; a peek inside the stylish world of fashion icon Norma Kamali; and more.
ON THE COVER: GINA RODRIGUEZ PHOTOGRAPHED BY KAT BORCHART; STYLING BY ASHLEY AVIGNONE; HAIR BY KRISTIN HEITKOTTER; MAKEUP BY CARISSA FERRERI. AUDRA DRESS AND COAT; CHLOE GOSSELIN SHOES; GRAZIELA GEMS EARRINGS; JENNY BIRD RING.
Table of Contents Aug/Sept 2017
Our Lady of Prime Time
Jane the Virgin star Gina Rodriguez is a woman who does what she wants. By Erika W. Smith
Life After Life
Why women are at the forefront of the “death positive” movement. By Christine Colby
She’s Got The Look
Design legend Norma Kamali reflects on 50 years of feminist fashion. By Leah Singer
Blood Is Thicker Than Daughter
When an adoptee goes searching for her biological family, she discovers a whole new side of herself. By Dixie Laite
Women’s March co-chair Linda Sarsour is helping keep the #resistance alive. By Sarah Sophie Flicker
Adventurous accessories inspired by cinema’s seedier side. Photographed by Parker Day, Styled by Kime Buzzelli
Photos: Parker Day (“Film Struck”); Maria Del Rio (W. Kamau Bell); Shay Harrington (Hummus); Nadya Wasylko (Norma Kamali)
- Author Kelly Oxford has all the best words; 50,000 Phyllis Diller jokes; Mighty Writers express themselves; and more.
- The Hotness: All the pop culture you crave. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: W. Kamau Bell is doin’ it well. By Jamia Wilson
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz: Shirley MacLaine Has Still Got Game. By Emily Rems
- Papercutting for the revolution; treat yo self to a digital detox; it’s time to bake protest cakes; and more.
- Eat Me: Heavenly hummus. By Chef Rossi
- You Go, Girl: Have a ball in Lisbon, Portugal. By Chelsea Fuss
- Fash advice from stylist and writer LaTonya Yvette Staubs; wireless bras; decorate summer shoes with perky pom poms; and more.
- Buy or Diy: Discover your new fave nail color, or make your own! By Debbie Stoller
- Good Stuff: Great gear for biking babes. By Stephanie J.
- Booty Call: Baby buys for mama’s little activist. By Callie Watts
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of Zola Jesus!
- Movies: Dolores goes Home Again once Ingrid Goes West.
- Books: Reviews; plus secret lives revealed.
- You never forget your first vibe ride; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Lesbian lust lessons. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: Sex Ed. By Lizzie Goodnight
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Sonia Ortiz
- Party Pix: Sweet snaps from London and New York Spring Craftaculars!
- X Games: Missing U. By Tracy Bennett
- The Last Laugh: Tammy Pierce in all her glory. By Esther Pearl Watson