BUST Magazine's June/July Issue Featuring Cover Kathleen Hanna!
Here at BUST, the summer music season is in full swing and the heat is on! To celebrate, we’ve got riot grrrl pioneer and timeless badass Kathleen Hanna gracing our cover. And inside, we’ve got an exclusive interview with OITNB’s awesome Uzo Aduba, a surprising photo essay featuring a woman who left the world behind to work with adorable sloths in the jungle, a true story of our staffer’s dating app adventures all over N.Y.C., and a guide to getting birth control for free online.
Table of Contents June/July 2016
Kathleen Hanna, the undisputed queen of riot grrrl, opens up about her return to public life with her hit squad the Julie Ruin. By Lisa Butterworth
Swiping for Mr. Right
One woman’s hilarious journey through the next generation of “female friendly” dating apps. By Callie Watts
Life in the Slow Lane
What’s it like to leave the modern world behind to work with sloths in the jungle? Just ask Sam Trull. By Jenni Miller
An Inconvenient Truth
In Argentina, the nightmares American women experienced pre-Roe v. Wade are still an everyday reality. By Carla McKirdy
The Eyes Have It
Orange Is the New Black’s Uzo Aduba reveals what it’s like to star on the show that changed the game.
By Lisa Butterworth
Sheer is the Warmest Color
Sultry summer styles that are transparently trendsetting, modeled by Kristin Kontrol. Photographed by Amber Gray, Styled by Brandy Joy Smith
- BoJack Horseman’s Lisa Hanawalt; black Barbies get a natural-hair makeover; brave female peacekeepers restore stability to South Sudan; and more.
- The Hotness: Enjoy a super-fly June/July.
By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: Paul Feig is feminist as fuck.
By Sabrina Ford
Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Pop Quiz:
AbFab’s wheels are still on fire. By Emily Rems
- Boozy summer popsicles; DIY sunburn soothers; master cooking techniques from around the world; and more.
- Caking Bad: Next level veggie sushi.
By Terry Hope Romero
- Around The World in 80
Girls: The BUST staff’s personal picks for the ultimate New York
- Fashion advice from senior style superstar Baddie Winkle; a peek inside Corinne Bailey Rae’s makeup bag; natural deodorants that actually work; and more.
- Good Stuff: Pool party perfection. By Stephanie J.
- Buy or Diy:
Book purses for sexy librarians. By Callie Watts
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music Reviews; plus the return of Tegan and Sara!
- Movies: Careful What You Wish For, Love & Friendship can give you The Fits.
- Books: Reviews; plus awesome new anthologies.
- Order free birth control from your phone;
- Questions for the Queen: The big O and the gray zone. By Dr. Carol Queen
- One-Handed Read: After Class.
By Darsie Hemingway