Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

224 Pages V  « < 214 215 216 217 218 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pregnancy - all things good, bad, and otherwise
Charmz
post Oct 24 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #4301

BUSTie

Thanks chani! Yeah, the sciatica can be a real "pain in the ass" ! tongue.gif Boooooo...that was bad! Hahaha! Only a couple more months to go though.

Congrats cranberrigirl! Glad to hear that all is well with your little bean....and Lola Mae is a sweet name!

--------------------
Cheers!

Crystal

www.theteeparty.com

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Oct 24 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #4302

Hardcore BUSTie

Just got back from a fancier ultrasound (didn't have to drink a drop of water for this one smile.gif ) and found out that my baby is just shiny. Nothing is wrong with the heart, I'm at a very low risk of downsyndrome.. and everythings is healthy and very good.

I'm having a girl.
tongue.gif Her name will be Lola Mae.

Sooo! Just wanted to share the news. Hope all of you are well..
Love Cran

+Quote Post
chani
post Oct 23 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #4303

Hardcore BUSTie

Welcome Charmz!!
Seven months, well done! Sucks about the sciatica, tho...

+Quote Post
Charmz
post Oct 20 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #4304

BUSTie

Hi everyone! I'm new to the Lounge and I'm also 7 months into my first pregnancy. I've been poking through this thread, and it's so refreshing to hear all that everyone has to say. I never realized how bizarre pregnancy actually was until it happened to me. There are soooo many weird and uncomfortable symptoms, ahhaha...I thought we were all supposed to float around gracefully with our beautiful pregnancy glow....not be crippled with sciatica and have swollen gums!!!!! blink.gif Hahaha! Nevertheless, even though I have a little foot persistently poking me in the ribs as I sit here and write this, and I definitely miss my Friday night social drinks, I can't wait to be a mother. I know that it is going to be an absolutely amazing experience! That being said....my second pregnancy is going to be on hold for quite a few years so I can get over this first one! tongue.gif

--------------------
Cheers!

Crystal

www.theteeparty.com

IPB Image

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 20 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #4305

Hardcore BUSTie

Try not to worry--it won't help anything and chances are you'll be just fine!

+Quote Post
aquagirl3
post Oct 20 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #4306

Hardcore BUSTie

It does feel magical and intense. Those are great words to describe it.

Well, I'm supposed to scuba dive with the kids next week and now I can't, so I had an excuse for telling them...but I would have anyway! I really, really hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 19 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #4307

Hardcore BUSTie

That's why I waited to tell most people--the not wanting to share sadness part, just in case. Everyone pretty well knew I'd been trying for ages and that at my age (40 now) it was a big issue. (No, I don't usually discuss this at work. Long story as to why they did.)

I only waited until 8 weeks, though, as the risk is a bit better from then, and frankly I had to tell my coworkers as I was pretty darn sick by then and they needed to know in case I had to leave in mid-group or something.

If you can find any decent pregnancy websites (Ie, message boards), more power to you. I never did.

+Quote Post
chani
post Oct 19 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #4308

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey aquagirl. Congrats!
I was so excited that I found it hard to keep quiet too, but miscarriage risk is somewhere around 15-20%. If I were to have that unfortunate outcome, I wouldn't want to have to share my sadness with everybody I knew.
However, chances are that everything will go well and you will have lots of support around you if you're feeling tired or pukey in the coming weeks! That's the upside of complete disclosure!
I've found it really strange being pregnant with #2. With my first I was so hypersensative to all the physical changes, and so emotionally focused on the potential babe-to-be. It seemed like a magical and really intense experience. This time I am so focused on the baby running around in front of me that I almost forget I'm pregnant at all. We visited my cousin's newborn today and I was totally shocked to realize that we were actually going to have a little soft sleepy one in a few short months.
I totally agree, cran, on the weight thing. It's actually a piss poor predictor for medical problems and yet carries so many social and personal implications. I wonder if they've ever considered discontinuing it from the antenatal forms?

+Quote Post
aquagirl3
post Oct 19 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #4309

Hardcore BUSTie

I'M PREGNANT!

I took 2 tests yesterday, and they were both positive! I'm so excited! First baby...only 2nd month of trying.

I'm feeling a little weird because I could not stop and told everyone. EVERYONE. including all my coworkers and my students!!! But most everyone has said they told everyone right away too... do you guys think I'm crazy?? I just can't hold it in. How can you not tell people for 3 MONTHS, or whatever?

Do you know any (other) good websites to go to? I looked at the message board on americanbaby.com and it was NOT my cup of tea. I need a more Bustie type pregnancy site.

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Oct 18 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #4310

Hardcore BUSTie

Less than 3 weeks? You must be on edge. Wow. so exciting! biggrin.gif

I had my ultrasound Monday. I sucked down the water, went into the thing (actually VERY quickly) and seeing the baby... I forgot I had to pee. I was crying, laughing.. saying wow, and this is so wild.. a LOT.

Unfortunately, the little bugger is very wiggly. very very wiggly. It was all over the screen. She was like.. can you feel it? No. How about now? No. I got nothing.
So the nice little lady providing the show, checked for everything.. (which I wasn't ready for.) I was like.. can you just tell me what the hell this is? Or just finish this up now. THis was the LONGEST thing ever, and I was starting to be in pain. IT was taking so long, the baby simmered down and the nice little lady started pushing, and prodding at my gut. I wanted to really start crying. SHe says then.."oh, geez look at your bladder. That's pretty full. "

YES NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

pardon my french.

Im having a mystery baby. Later after being told, I would be weighed. (What a hoot. I just drank 5 gallons of water.) This troll of a nurse gasps at my 11 lb gain. I couldn't believe she told me what I gained. NO other doctor has said a thing.
The midwife came in also mentioned my weight, my husband pipes up and tells them that he doesn't this that is correct since I have just drank of ton of water, and dressed like I'm in the Artic. I also told her, Ive been weighing myself everyday and have not seen such a jump like this. And she said... :"Well, you've only gained 13lbs in all. THat's great!"

Um.. so I'm not in danger or any thing?? No? Then why do I give a poop what I weigh?As long as I am not in danger I would rather not know. I am more dangerous knowing.

Anyhoo, my baby has a bright spot on its heart.. ( I thought this meant it was a fairy. It does not.) She told me that it is most likely nothing, seeing that I was negative in my Downsyndrome testing. But I have to go to a bigger hospital with a better ultrasound.. to find out more info.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 18 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #4311

Hardcore BUSTie

There was an interesting segment on the BBC 4 program Case Notes on pregnancy related nausea. They used mid-pregancy as the most common point in which nausea tends to resolve. As much as I felt like bursting into tears when at 9 weeks I read that most nausea "starts to resolve around 12 weeks" I'd rather hear that than get a promise of it going away and then it continuing on. (I just didn't know how I could stand another three weeks of feeling that sick all the time.)

You can listen here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/casenotes.shtml

They also talk about ginger being helpful. I know it is for a lot of people but I tried it and couldn't. The last straw was when I stopped at Waitrose while I was travelling b/w workplaces and picked up some organic natural ginger ale and when I got there sat down to drink it. As soon as I took a sip I forcefully spit it out all over the place. No thought--just purely reaction. It also stopped the conversation in the room. "Well, I guess I'm not having that."

That was my last attempt at ginger for pregnancy induced nausea. I found lemon squash was helpful as was lemon oil.

(Squash in the UK is a concentrated drink mix. It has varying amounts of fruit juice in it, and you dilute it to taste. I got organic lemon quash that didn't have any artificial flavors and tended to dilute it quite a lot.)

The skin on my stomach is partially numb, like when you have local anesthesia at the dentist and it starts to wear off. Unfortunately my tooth is still painful.

I'm waiting. And waiting, and waiting. Less than 3 weeks to due date now.

Chani, very glad to hear your good news on the ultrasound.

+Quote Post
chani
post Oct 16 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #4312

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm alive!! Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
The move was smooth, but they couldn't get our internet working and half the phone jacks don't work, so our computer is on the floor in the spare room - not conducive to chillaxin' online.
Cran, lots of folks have persistant nausea throughout the pregnancy, but it usually starts to get somewhat better before 20 weeks.
Our ultrasound was reassuring - the bleed had resolved. So I can climb stairs again! And go for long walks! And carry Chanibaby up the stairs!
Moxie: there's actually no study that has shown pen-related antibiotics, which is likely what you're on, interfere with the pill. Having said that though, we've all heard the anecdotes and better to be safe than sorry. You're probably good to use condoms for the week you're on it. See you all soon!

+Quote Post
pinksparkly
post Oct 16 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #4313

Cranberrigirl-
I thought I escaped nausea altogether until I started puking in my 12th week.

Honestly, I hate doctors. I am only seeing one once to get an ultrasound. Otherwise, I am having my baby at home with a lay midwife.

When they take my blood pressure at the doctor's office it is sky high. When my midwife takes it in the privacy and comfort of my own home, it is normal. If I am that stressed at an office visit, I don't know how I could possibly push out a baby in a hospital. Hell, just making an appointment is stressful with all of the bureacracy.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 15 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #4314

Hardcore BUSTie

No one should tell you pregnancy related nausea is over at 9 weeks. No way. For people who have it, it often gets better by about 12 weeks, but they sure as hell can't promise that, either.

I've known people who were sick up to various stages, and some of the ones who had it the longest did get a break at 7 or 8 months, so there's still hope.

It's perfectly normal to be sick like you are. It feels like crap, but it's normal. No one knows why it happens for sure, but the hormone theory is one of them.

(How your co-worker did it for 9 months three times is beyond me. I don't know if I could do it again.)

If it was me I'd forget about the water. Why is it the clinic in the UK did a perfectly fine ultrasound without it? THey might send you back and tell you to do it again, with a more full bladder, but personally I'd take the risk if I felt that bad.

Too bad about the attitude. It shouldn't be that hard to remember that even though they might have seen hundreds of babies, this isn't the case for you. And even if you worked with babies yourself, this is the first time you are having this baby, so how about a little respect for that?

I'm tired of having a constantly stuffed up/runny nose, btw.

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Oct 15 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #4315

Hardcore BUSTie

I gotta tell ya Annoush, Im actually kinda disappointed with the hospital Im at because they keep treating me like this is my hundredth baby and I should know the routine.

Ive told them that Im sick, but they said it was normal. they said oh, it will be done at 9 weeks. 12weeks.. by 14 weeks you should be fine. Well, Im at 18 and Im still going strong. ( I did talk to a really really nice person at my work, that suggested I may have a lot of active hormones or something like that, and that she was sick for the full 9months, with all three of her children.) So that did make me feel better.

Anyway, I told them about the water, and they said it will make it clearer to see the baby and what not.. so okay whatever. Like I said, if I didnt live in the freakin woods I would go somewhere else to have this kid.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 15 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #4316

Hardcore BUSTie

I cannot bear television at the moment, except the rare PBS, so thankfully have not seen the commercials.

And materinity clothes clearly have their place, but I cannot stand people who start wearing them at, oh, five weeks. (I worked with someone like that.) Get a grip, people. And if you can get by w/o them, or as few as possible, good for you!!

That reminds me--I was flipping through some magazine at the birth centre a while back and there was an "article" about the best maternity jeans--ranging in price from $45 to $170. Um, I'm not going to spend that much on jeans when I'm not pregnant, let alone when I am.

This may have been the magazine (Fit Pregnancy, I think) that had an ad for Ensure directed at pregnant women. Chocolate flavor. To ensure your health during pregnancy, of course. Um, yeah, that's a good idea. Not.

How about trying to eat right and maybe a prenatal vitamin? I mean, I know I"m not perfect or anything (had a bit of a sugar binge recently which was very bad) but at least I didn't waste my bad eating on something that is vile, stupid, and that is being sold as a "nutrition" drink. They should be ashamed. They aren't, but htey should be.

Cran, I didn't have to do the water thing for any of the pregnancy ultrasounds (I've had plenty other times, and did do it then). How far along are you? When I had the 12 week scan they said that it was actually easier with their equipment not to have a full bladder. Maybe you have options--might be worth asking and explaining your situation.

I wondered if the belly band was worth it. I should have bought one, but it's a bit late now.

Am debating the glamormom tank, though. Expensive, but seems like it would be very useful.

The last couple of days I'm so freakin' tired and uncomfortable my "what happens when I have an actual baby" worries are a bit less in comparrison. I just want this part over with. And I am a bit more apprehensive about the birth than I was, but mostly just hope everything goes ok.

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Oct 15 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #4317

Hardcore BUSTie

I laughed reading your post pinksparkly, people do percieve you different. People keep saying, that I'm prettier now. And people keep asking me as when I'm going to wear stretch pants. Um, I'm not a stretch pants kinda girl, yes I went through the whole stirr-up craze when I was younger but since there I don't have any. I'm actually trying my hardest to stay clear of maternity clothes. I bought a belly band, and it is my favorite asset. I can wear my jeans, wrap a rubber band around the button, or wear them wide open, slap on my belly band and I am good. I love it. Plus it keeps things smooth. Which I like too.

So tomorrow I go an get my first ultrasound. People around me are psyched. I've actually come up with an alternative route to get into my building so that my co-worker can find out-if they tell me anything..boy/girl stuff so that my boss doesn't find out first.
I'm kinda panicked. The doc appointment is during my new puking zone. If I drink all that water, I'm going to ralph. Because I'm going to have to pee, and that's when it happens too. oh well we'll see.

oh, and I agree Annoush, I'm having dreams and frights about when the kid grows up... I don't know if you've ever seen those bank commericals.. but they are like the "circle of life" I have a panic attack every time I see them.

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Oct 15 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #4318

Nice Kitty

chani- that blows. seriously. i got a wicked sinus infection the week before moxette was born...boy-o did i get antibiotics fast for that. could you imagine labor and not being able to breath? good luck!

Hey, i'm on a chani-look out...Chani, you out there??? Got a medical question for you...
i think the sniffels i had yesterday are developing into a full blown sinus infection. I've got antibiotics on hand, from when we thought i had strep, but didn't. Question is...just HOW much do antibiotics screw with BC pill effectivness? Just the days one is taking them, or the entire month?

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 11 2006, 06:08 AM
Post #4319

Hardcore BUSTie

Turns out I have a huge fucking hole in my tooth, which probably caused a lot of the pain (must have been referred to another area, as it wasn't actually around that tooth. Which it is now, after the dentist as drilled it and put a temp filling in as it needs at least a root canal and at worst an extraction b/c the last dentist was such a fucking incompentent.) It hurts like hell. I don't need this now, and we can't resolve it until after the baby.

Great, labor with toothache. Is there much worse?

See kvetch for further complaining on this subject.

+Quote Post
pinksparkly
post Oct 10 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #4320

anoushh -

i have that tooth thing going on too! i thought i was just weird. i have been having a lot of tooth pain, and up until three days ago, no medical/dental insurance. i sucked it up and paid a hundred bucks to have a dentist look at it. she told me that my teeth were extra sensitive because of pregnancy, etc. i have wisdom teeth that HAVE to come out but can't do much about it until the baby comes. and my bf told me that i have been grinding my teeth at night, which i don't think i did before. so weird how pregnancy takes over your entire body.

and it is not as fun as i thought it would be, either. i am tired all of the time. i am starting to want my body back. and i am only half-way through. sometimes i just want to be able to do the things i used to. i would like to be able to go out, stay up late, have a few drinks every now and then. i feel like a nun or a born-again christian. and this was a totally planned pregnancy. sometimes it just feels a little long. and it is annoying that my whole lifestyle has to change and my boyfriend's does not. it is also weird how people perceive me differently, just because i am pregnant. i no longer feel cute or desirable. just large and matronly. ok, i am rambling. it was just interesting to hear that someone else has some of the same things going on that i do.

+Quote Post

224 Pages V  « < 214 215 216 217 218 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 09:36 AM