BlackBeltEagleScout MotherOfMyChldren e6a2d

Black Belt Eagle Scout’s Debut Album Blends Riot Grrrl And Earth Mother

by BUST Magazine

BLACK BELT EAGLE SCOUT
Mother Of My Children
(Saddle Creek)

On “Soft Stud,” Black Belt Eagle Scout—aka Katherine Paul or KP—softly admits, “I know you’re taken,” before crescendoing into sweet howls of, “need you, want you” over a killer guitar riff. The self-proclaimed “radical indigenous queer feminist” does this often on her debut, switching between riot grrrl and Earth mother, her vulnerability always on full display. “Indians Never Die” is a percussive meditation on environmental degradation, while the distortion-heavy “Just Lie Down” is about letting go of grief, and the relief that follows. Of course, by then you’ll be totally hooked on Black Belt Eagle Scout. (4/5)

By Shannon Carlin
Mother Of My Children was released September 14, 2018
This article originally appeared in the October/November 2018  print edition of BUST Magazine. Subscribe today!

More from BUST

Spiritualized’s “And Nothing Hurt” Is Worth The Wait: Review

Amanda Palmer Unveils Powerful New Music Video, “Mr. Weinstein Will See You Now”: BUST Interview

“Bottle It In” Is Kurt Vile’s Version Of A Road Record: Review

You may also like

Get the print magazine.

The best of BUST in your inbox!

Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter

About Us

Founded in 1993, BUST is the inclusive feminist lifestyle trailblazer offering a unique mix of humor, female-focused entertainment, uncensored personal stories, and candid reporting that tells the truth about women’s lives.

©2023 Street Media LLC.  All Right Reserved.