The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ~random Acts Of Kindness: Busties Paying It Forward~, Share your stories and inspire others!
thenewrussia
post May 29 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

Has anyone heard of the Great American Bake Sale? Basically, if you were to organize a bake sale in your area, the profits go toward buying food for kids in need. Believe it or not, the US may be the world's wealthiest nation, but over 12 million children are at risk of hunger here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post May 15 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #2

(o)(o)

I've been have a crappy time lately, but I also know what it's like to work in retial and customer sevice, I have also been a difficult customer.

Well, last week I recieved amazing customer service about my iPod, there were some mistakes made and I was dealing with a very sweet woman who got to the bottom of everything, today I called and raved about her to her supervisor.

I also had to call about my cell phone plan today, the gentleman who helped me on the phone was really great as well, so I sent the company an e-mail explaining how great he was.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Mar 31 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #3

A symphony of atrocities.

That free rice game is fun to play, it reminds me of this vocab building software the Missus has. I like that I can learn new words and feed people.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
damona
post Mar 30 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #4

can i go to bed now?

that was a pretty cool story, polly.

i discovered this website free rice and keep drifting back to it. and getting my hubby and oldest son to play the game, too. and emailing the link to a few friends that love it, too. hopefully, it really does do some good.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Mar 28 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #5

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Bumping this thread for a great story:

A Victim Treats His Mugger Right

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Sep 19 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #6

(o)(o)

The streets in front of one of the building I have worked at has noparking from 3:30 on, and the tow trucks are hard core around 4pm one day, I saw a young woman plug in the metre, I ran up to her and told her that if she parked, she would for sure get towed. I saved her the cost of the ticket, tow and impound fee.

One evening while out for dinner, I saw two young people and their three dogs, I gave them a larger bill.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Sep 18 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #7

cryostat bitch

*bump*!

Today, I made two loaves of my *famous* pumpkin cranberry bread, and put a loaf, still warm, on my neighbor's doorstep with a note that said simply, "Happy Fall!"

He's going to have no idea it was from me...nobody here in the condo building has tasted my bread. smile.gif

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
zora
post May 23 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #8

My good friend once befriended a homeless man living in an abandoned garage near her apartment. She would buy him sandwiches and give him free loaves of bread (we're bakers, we get loads of free food) for a long while. He watched out for her in turn and gave her advice. When they tore the garage down, she drove him to the shelter so he'd have a place to stay for a while. I like thinking about that.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Feb 15 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.networkforgood.org/

this looks to be a really good site for both giving of $$ and physical time and energy.

frecklette & I might sit down together and see if we can't find a good one to give our time to.

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jan 29 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

can you post a link for that possibly please?

I tried it and got the header and a * mark on an otherwise blank page.

that sounds like such a great idea feministreview- thankyou!

--------------------

+Quote Post
feministreview
post Jan 29 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #11

BUSTie

You know, I just read about a way that people can give without doing a thing (almost). www.goodsearch.com is a search engine alternative to google that donates money to nonprofits every time you search for something. i have mine set to donate to Girls for Gender Equity here in Brooklyn.

--------------------
http://www.feministreview.org

Feminist Review believes that all opinions - positive and critical - are valuable and seeks to give voice to communities that remain on the margins. Our mission is to write reviews from feminist perspectives to explore the world through an anti-oppression lens. We recognize that there are many feminisms and provide a space where those differences can be represented and explored.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Jan 24 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

I took a large bag of yummy golden delicious apples I didn't need to the woman w/ small kids next door.
they were buy one get one free at the store but who needs 10 lbs of apples?

--------------------

+Quote Post
princess evangel...
post Jan 15 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

voodoo princess here.....
i bought lunch for a couple of homeless guys that live under the overpass down from my work. hung out for a minute and chatted with them about their dog and just stuff in general....... they seemed really happy for the food and the chat.......

+Quote Post
wombat
post Jan 14 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #14

Dragon Velocity

I like to have "Kar Karma"

That is, letting people out of side streets and parking spaces, giving trucks and buses room to turn, and really looking out for bicycles.

Also, I always park well and I put extra quarters in the meters by the co-op -- then people can run in and get stuff if they are counting every dollar -- or just ran flat-out of quarters.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
llamas
post Jan 4 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

I helped a guy at the post office who was obviously new to the US with his stamp selection and placement yesterday.

+Quote Post
sunshine
post Jan 4 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

I shoveled my neighbors sidewalk and steps after the last snowstorm.

--------------------
"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."
--Claudia Ghandi

+Quote Post
bettiepee
post Jan 4 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #17

i paid for the guy behind me once at the toll booth
:-)

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Dec 31 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

tonight my girlchild and her friend took 2 pizza's over the the neighbors house.
the place we had ordered from messed up our order, and so then let us keep the 2 mistakes, which were ones we wouldn't eat, so first we tried the woman w/ 3 kids, but she wasn't home, and then, after some thought (bc we don't know many people here) & keeping them warm in the oven a minute, walked them across the street instead. the older couple has had both grown daughters and their small kids move back home, and there are always a million people over there.
I wish there were some shelters close to us, but am just glad they wouldn't go to waste. the neighbors were really happy & appreciative.
I also tipped the 2nd delivery boy that came, even though he really didn't want to take the money, despite it being the first driver's mistake in the first place.

it's not much, but I do feel a little better for having done it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ratgrl
post Dec 3 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Dec 3 2006, 08:28 PM) *

You reminded me of another one, ratgrl. A few years ago, I was at the Catholic church my grandma goes to. It wasn't during a mass or anything- she volunteers there, straightening up the stuff in the pews, things like that, so it was an off-time and it was pretty much just us in the church. We were in from out of town, and were helping her with stuff. They have that thing with the candles where people make offerings and say prayers (I'm not Catholic, but I think that's what that's for, right?) I was walking by it and I noticed that some idiot put a dollar bill next to a candle, rather than in the drop box and the dollar bill caught fire and was starting to get a pretty high flame- as I was walking by, I thought it was another candle but I thought, "something doesn't look right." I can't remember how I put it out (no, didn't grab the holy water!) I think I managed to blow it out, and I basically saved this church, which was brand-new, from burning down. We put the remnants of the money in an envelope with a note and stuck it under the door of the church office.

I hope they told people not to put money next to the candles anymore.

So, me, Ms. Anti-Catholic (I'm not really "Anti-Catholic", just certainly not religious) saved a church. How ironic. rolleyes.gif

cool.gif That *is* ironic, Polly! I myself was raised Catholic (albeit in a very half-assed way), but since early adulthood , I've been a hardcore, balls-to-the-wall atheist. That church story is a nice one, though. Despite your nonbeliefs, you did the right thing, and certainly spared many people (i.e. the entire congregation of that church) a lot of grief and sadness. smile.gif

--------------------
I never try anything...I just do it. Like I don't beat clocks...just people. Wanna try me?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 3 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

You reminded me of another one, ratgrl. A few years ago, I was at the Catholic church my grandma goes to. It wasn't during a mass or anything- she volunteers there, straightening up the stuff in the pews, things like that, so it was an off-time and it was pretty much just us in the church. We were in from out of town, and were helping her with stuff. They have that thing with the candles where people make offerings and say prayers (I'm not Catholic, but I think that's what that's for, right?) I was walking by it and I noticed that some idiot put a dollar bill next to a candle, rather than in the drop box and the dollar bill caught fire and was starting to get a pretty high flame- as I was walking by, I thought it was another candle but I thought, "something doesn't look right." I can't remember how I put it out (no, didn't grab the holy water!) I think I managed to blow it out, and I basically saved this church, which was brand-new, from burning down. We put the remnants of the money in an envelope with a note and stuck it under the door of the church office.

I hope they told people not to put money next to the candles anymore.

So, me, Ms. Anti-Catholic (I'm not really "Anti-Catholic", just certainly not religious) saved a church. How ironic. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 22, 2014 - 05:16 PM