The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pip Pip Old Chap! It's The Uk Bustie Thread.
bunnyb
post Feb 18 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #21

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

COCL, you have some fabulous recommendations here (some of which I need to check out)!

Borough Market is a must as it's fabulous (a Thursday is disappointing though as it's only specific vendors and Green Market isn't open). The walk along the South Bank to the Tate (and even further down to the Globe, Royal Festival Hall and the London Eye) is a good one with a lovely view of St Paul's across the Thames.

Foyles Bookshop is indeed a heavenly labyrinth in which you can easily lose yourself for hours (I lost mornington there on my first visit, or lost myself...) The cafe serves some lovely lunch food (a good selection of salads and quiches as well as fresh sandwiches/ciabattas) but it can become very busy. I am looking forward to visiting Daunt Books as I haven't yet and one of my favourite bookshops is this one in Bloomsbury (and South Kensington), which deserves a visit if you are looking for beautiful books that have an ubiquitously English feel to them. Oh, and as a complete aside: if you are looking for a London themed gift for a child or a keepsake for yourself then this book is a quirky find (as are the London tube designed gifts in the huge Waterstone's bookshop in Piccadilly).

Spitalfields market is cool and has a lot of surrounding places to eat including S&M (sausage and mash) where you can sample cheap and tasty traditional fare. I'm a huge fan of Portobello Road market on a Saturday and love wandering around (whilst tunelessly singing the song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks); it leads to Notting Hill where there are a lot of great boutique shops (the same applies to Kensington).

I agree with all of the museums, especially the V&A, the Tate Modern and the British Museum; they are all free (excluding special exhibitions) and fabulous.

Before moving to London a few months ago I visited a lot and obviously did all of the tourist attractions but without fail I would go and see a show (musical). If you can fit it in I would try and see one as visiting London and not seeing one would be the equivalent of going to New York and not going to Broadway; yes, you can do that but it's an essential part of the experience. The ticket booths around the west-end will offer cheap tickets on the day of performance as will some of the theatre box offices.

A touristy must (IMO) is going to Harrod's, seeing the foodhall alone is worth it, and having your jaw hit the floor at the sheer opulence.

Also, although persiflager recommended avoiding Oxford Street (and I concur), I imagine that you'll probably want to visit Topshop... so steel yourself against the crowds outside Oxford Circus tube (directly across from Topshop, depending on the exit), quickly cross Oxford Street, enter shop, struggle against the masses, wait in horrendous queues (lines) for fitting rooms, buy some cute things and exit looking particularly pleased with yourself despite physical exhaustion and make it back into the tube station alive.

Oh, and I second zoya's recommendation of the Ethiopian restaurant in Kentish town (*mental note to self to find the Japanese restaurant persiflager refers to, although mornington and I discovered a great one near Foyles).

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 17 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #22

uh huh.

oh persiflager, I'm so glad you said avoid the tower of london! I was going to say the same thing and forgot. it's an ok place to go if you have a lot of time in London, but it will take you nearly all day to see and it's really not all that - loads of way better stuff to see.

I LOVED the Imperial War Museum (near Elephant and Castle stop on the Northern line, one stop down from borough market) Bunnyb and I spent 2 hours there just seeing 2 exhibits. you could easily spend all day there and never get bored.

You could check out if anything is playing at the roundhouse theatre - it's just next to Camden - great venue that has some great shows. I saw an avant garde circus there with stargazer when she was visiting and saw a couple of amazing shows there during the electrical proms (Underworld was one of my favourite concerts of all time)

There's a great Ethiopian restaurant in Kentish Town, which is just up from Camden. The Forum (venue) is in Kentish town, there are good shows there.

I'll have to think on it more as well....

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Feb 17 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

I second Borough market! And you can stroll along the South Bank to the Tate Modern from there - that's a great place to wander, there's usually so much going on, especially at the weekend.

Go out in the Old Street/Shoreditch/Dalston area - that's where all the coolest, edgiest clubs and bars are (e.g. dreambags/jaguar shows that looks like an abandoned shop, or the dalston jazz bar that's open to 5am at the weekend, or the brazilian bar/club Favela Chic). There are quite a lot of skinny jeans/arty/trendy types arounf but they also have lots of fun alternative nights like clothes-swap parties or wheel-of-fortune karaoke.

Foyle's bookshop is a heavenly labyrinth with a coffee/jazz bar, Daunt bookshop on Marylebone high street is super-lovely (as is the whole of that street) and charing cross road has lots of good second-hand bookshops.

Spitalfields market has lots of cool stuff (open Sunday but not Saturday), and is near Brick Lane where you get all the best curry-houses - wander down and haggle with them, there's stiff competition so you'll always get a bargain.

Soho theatre generally has interesting plays/cabaret/comedy on, and the soho area in general is excellent for cabaret/sleazy bars etc.

Kew Gardens are brilliant but a bit further away, and might be a bit chilly.

I really recommend avoiding the Tower of London, Oxford Street and Madama Tussauds.

Ooh, lots of good museums - I love the V&A (art and design, and a very good tea room), Natural History Museum and National Science Museum, and you could easily spend a week in the British museum. The Geffrye museum (by old street)is amazing and almost unknown - 400 years of british domestic history presented in living rooms. With period gardens! I think all of these have free entrance unless there's a special exhibition on.

Dalston also good for Vietnamese and Turkish food, and there's a particularly good japanese restaurant by mornington crescent station (walking distance from camden - sorry, can't remember name). Camden great for gigs. Go to St Martin in the Fields for classical music (they often have free lunchtime recitals), and to somewhere like Southwark cathedral (right by borough market) or St Paul's to listen to evensong (not just because I'm an ex-chorister myself, but because I think choral evensong is one of the finest English traditions still practised today. Says the proud atheist).

Ok, that will do for now - I'll post if I think of anything else essential.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 17 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #24

uh huh.

camden is great, you'll be right on the Northern line tube, which allows easy access to most things you'd probably want to do...

I personally love Borough Market, which is near London Bridge tube station on the Northern line, it's like a gigantic farmers' market. It's open thurs - Saturday and you can wander around and sample all sorts of gourmet fare.. i also love the Tate Modern, which is not far from there, either - a short walk.

The National Gallery is awesome, and you can walk from there to Buckingham Palace and all that type of stuff really easily.

Camden itself is cool to wander around in, there's loads of record shops, punk rock and vintage clothing stores, etc.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 16 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #25

the moistiest

Oooh, many! Are you looking for daytime sights or night-time haunts, and how far do you want to travel from Camden?

all the above, i'm wide open right now smile.gif

The Time Out London page is often a great starting point if you have the post-code for where you'll be staying, and it'll list all the events happening during your visit.

niiice. i'm flipping through it now...

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Feb 16 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Oooh, many! Are you looking for daytime sights or night-time haunts, and how far do you want to travel from Camden?

The Time Out London page is often a great starting point if you have the post-code for where you'll be staying, and it'll list all the events happening during your visit.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 16 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #27

the moistiest

i'm used to the cold; if the air doesn't freeze my nose hairs, i consider it a heat wave. hope you ladies went out and at least built a snow man/ snow penis.
accomodations locked and loaded (i'm going to be more or less in camden town), working on an itinerary now . there's so much i want to see/do... i need to put it all together in something coherent and productive.

any insider locales i should know about that are a "do not miss"?

+Quote Post
starship
post Feb 2 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

it took me 20years of living here to finally get a snowday. i so earnt it
i feel so american. or scottish
looks like you wont be getting the 'warm' trip you were hoping for though. hope our airports have gotten their ass in gear intime for your arrival at least

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 2 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #29

the moistiest

hee hee i love my 5am BBC news update. the whole city came to a stop? well in MY DAY we had to walk 10 miles in the 50 feet of snow without shoes on and uphill to get to school!

wink.gif

+Quote Post
starship
post Feb 2 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

eee snow day!

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 29 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #31

Boo sad.gif.

Do NOT keep me from the dairy. I was having major tummy problems at that time and coffee/dairy didn't help and I believe I had both at the Haagen Dazs cafe on top or Mexican food and margaritas... Funnily enough my tummy was also terribly upset after Mexican food with mornington and zoya a couple of weeks ago so maybe it's the BUSTies that bring it out wink.gif. Or just the richness, definitely the richness of good food when BUSTies get together.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 28 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #32

PANTIES! ew.

ETA: I can't go. I really wish I could. You don't even know how much I want to visit. Maybe later this year. sad.gif wub.gif (it would certainly make for a nice reward for all the stuff I'm working on accomplishing in the next several months, that's for sure!)

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jan 28 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #33

the moistiest

it's late evening, 2200 i believe.

2000, actually, i just checked. that swaying anyone? laugh.gif

no dairy at all bunny? or just that day? here i thought you were having some liquor inspired ice cream. as a side note, my hairdresser was telling me today about a shot called "the dead goat", that involves pepper, goat milk, and tequila?? (what, no antifreeze available that day?) blink.gif

Okay. I'm thinking. tick tick tick...

:::whistling, walks by, casually drops link out of pocket...::::

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 28 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #34

PANTIES! ew.

Oh fuck me! The sale ends tomorrow?!?!?!?! *bites nails* hmm. I know I still have that link to the sale somewhere... ack! Okay, let me think about it. My wallet is like, who are you kidding, woman? There's nothing to think about.

And I seriously can't watch puking, EVER... I will hold that dairy far away from you, Bunny, even if it means beating you back with a hardcover copy of War & Peace! (the biggest book I could think of) I only say this out of love!

Okay. I'm thinking. tick tick tick...

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jan 28 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #35

brown delicious

cocl, the blowing of chunks was the result of dairy and bunnyb not agreeing that day. poor thing. sad.gif i was able to witness some of the blowing of chunks.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jan 28 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #36

the moistiest

(mornington @ Jan 27 2009, 10:43 PM)
fucksocks. I go on the fieldtrip on the morning of the 5th... and don't come back until the 11th. I wanna go to the hagen das cafe! damn university.

* double pouts*

What time do you get in on the 4th, cocl?

it's late evening, 2200 i believe. BUT, if anyone is intrepid, i'll be functioning like it's 1700. hotel party, anyone? smile.gif

The last time I went to the Haagen Dazs cafe with you lot I ended up curtsying at the queen's abode whilst throwing up. Good times.

is that the US equivalent of kneeling in the oval office blowing (chunks)?

i have to say, i'm uber-excited now. everytime i read about what i need to get together, it makes me want to hop a plane now. i hear avg. temp is 44F/6C this time of year (true?), which is a vast improvement on the 22F/-5C and 2ft/60cm of snow i'm sitting in right now. (yay metric conversion!)

syb, sorry i'll miss you! let us know if you change your mind/win the lottery/come into extra vacation time.

and also, i'd like to peer pressure raisin again. the sale ends tomorrow! wink.gif

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 28 2009, 07:22 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(mornington @ Jan 27 2009, 10:43 PM) *
fucksocks. I go on the fieldtrip on the morning of the 5th... and don't come back until the 11th. I wanna go to the hagen das cafe! mad.gif damn university.

*pouts*

What time do you get in on the 4th, cocl?

The last time I went to the Haagen Dazs cafe with you lot I ended up curtsying at the queen's abode whilst throwing up. Good times.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jan 27 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #38

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

fucksocks. I go on the fieldtrip on the morning of the 5th... and don't come back until the 11th. I wanna go to the hagen das cafe! mad.gif damn university.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jan 27 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #39

it's cards on the table time

Dudes, I'm sorry to be so crap, but the mister and I just booked a (badly needed) holiday together over Easter and then I have 2 conferences in summer to travel to, so once again I have to postpone. Lack of €€€ + limited holiday time + academic-career building have conspired against me. It's a shame COCL, I would love to meet you as well as the other UK-ers I haven't hung out with yet!

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 27 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #40

PANTIES! ew.

I know, right?! I don't need any encouragement!

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 27, 2014 - 08:12 AM