The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
emtee
post Jun 26 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Doodle- Melanie Lynn is a chain- there are a few in Calgary, so I'm assuming nation-wide, or at least Western Provinces.

I got a cool, minimalist, sleek laptop bag at London Drugs, of all places.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maimy
post Jun 26 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Venetia, I love light grey. It can also be multi-season-appropriate, depending on textile and exact shade.

Today my funky accessory was simply to wear my hair down. I don't do it often, but unlike many people, when it's rainy and humid, this does my hair a little favor, because what is frizz on a lot of folks is body on me, so I can actually stand it down and it doesn't get in my face. It is amazing how many people are amazed at hair simply being loose. I guess I don't think about how different it looks, because it is behind me - but I do have a lot of it, and I rarely let it loose on the working public. Heh.

I have cultivated scarves a little bit over time, especially as hair adornments. Have a WONDERFUL kerchief I got from BustyGirl a few years ago. It is summery, bright, and way cute.

A fairly recent accesory I've actually had for years, a tiny black matte-silk black purse which belonged to my great-grandmother. It's fab, and it's got family provenance too. *Grin*

+Quote Post
laurenann
post Jun 26 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

the apple store has cute laptop bags. i was there this weekend and they have really small ones in nice fabrics. the sony store has the same ones.

i have the timbuk2 laptop purse. i LOVE it - it has a space for my ibook and room for papers and books, and then a front pocket where i put my other stuff. but this is a clothes thread, not the purse thread...sorry...

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jun 25 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #4

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Hmm...seraphine, that's funny...I read what you wrote, and grumbled, "I'll still never wear a damned skirt"...and then I went and looked at it and thought, "Hey, that's kind of cute. I could do that." Heh.

I dunno, though. Then I'd have to do the stockings, 'cause my own friends point at my neon-white legs and laugh.

emtee, I don't know the store - we don't have one in my town. Is it a chain? If, say, I'm in Vancouver...?

One work thing I'm trying to work out is more "accessories" than "wardrobe." But mastering the laptop/briefcase thing....ugh! I would like a leather laptop case, or something that's at least equivalently "sexy." (You know what I mean.) But all the ones I've seen in the shops are these gigantic, pack-up-the-universe-type thingies, and you'd have to be a weightlifter to carry it. (I don't understand who is carrying all this junk back and forth. I travel for my work, and I don't carry that much junk *when I travel*.)

I am very pared down when I go about doing things. Day-to-day, or evenings, I prefer to go with nothing but my wallet, my keys, my lipstick, and my mint tin (which has a mirror under the slidey-door) in my pockets, no purse. When I go to work, I slide my dayplanner into my laptop case, and also this thin, plain black leather clutch that fits beside it perfectly, and holds everything I need - I can put the wallet, keys, lipstick, pens, notebook, cards, receipts, whatever, inside. It's very minimalist. I keep it that way when I travel, and add maybe gum, oatmeal bars, and a bottle of water. It's great, 'cause I can pull the purse out and leave the rest behind when I need to. And I usually want to...because it's a frigging black fabric padded laptop case with some geeky-techy silvery weird alien fabric logo motif on the front.

I can't find a nice-looking case for my laptop that will let me be the minimalist I am burning to be!

I am thinking of making a bag so that I can at least have something unique and not 50 kilos or space-alieny. And I really don't want to have to sew.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
seraphine
post Jun 25 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #5

I work in an office setting also, doodlebug. I also know what you mean about the pants versus skirts issue. Until recently, I despised skirts, especially wearing one for eight hours. I think there is nothing wrong with black dress/business pants. They can look extremely professional, sexy, and feminine if their cut fits your body. Though, if you want to try a skirt, I suggest a knee-length one that can be machine-washed, in a material that doesn't wrinkle easily while you're seated. I have one that I adore: it's a rayon/polyester blend very similar to this (www.bluefly.com, search for product #2005305--link wasn't working for me, sorries) in style, but with a grey textured look (the material is thick, as the one on the link), that looks good with anything. I found mine on clearance at a local mall for $10! (the price of the skirt in the link is ridiculous). It’s so comfortable I even wear it around the house on warm days. Yes, this is coming from a girl who once despised skirts.

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Doodle, I know you're in Canada- one of my friends bought a pair of pants exactly as you've described at Melanie Lynn.

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jun 25 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #7

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

For work and work-related stuff, I've always found that if I'm unsure, I wear a blazer and I'm fine. It dresses up anything, even jeans...although you should probably find out if jeans are appropriate before showing up for work in them! Suits don't have to be worn as suits - they can and should be broken up regularly, I think. (But have the parts dry-cleaned together, oh lordessa!)

I can wear jeans to work, and I often do, but I usually wear them with a nice tunic or top, and sometimes a jacket or cardigan, or else a big, flowing scarf. I work in a non-profit, where I could wear any darned thing ("clean, neat, and no holes"), but this seems to work for me. I have this horrible fear of looking like a hippie social worker, yet I don't want to intimidate the people who use our services by showing up in a suit, either, so I'm pretty careful about how I look for work!

So, I do have a question. I am thinking of getting a pair of dressy evening pants so I can fake it without having to wear a skirt. I've seen a black pair in a magazine that have two or three layers, and the outer layers are kind of a thin, swishy, crepe-y material. I was thinking of having some made if I can't find a pair. But, would that be a faux pas for "real" evening events? Or would it be kind of "old lady"?

I just hate wearing skirts so very much, and I especially hate dresses - I feel like I'm "in drag" when I wear a dress. My entire "bottoms" wardrobe consists of four pairs of jeans and three pairs of black pants, in varying degrees of casual to dressy. (Oh, plus sweats, but they don't count, 'cause I only wear them for cleaning or exercising.)

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
venetia
post Jun 25 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I usually wear light grey for weddings and funerals, and throw in a hat and flowers for the weddings.

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Actually, I'm in Canada, Speedy- I'll keep that website in mind!

+Quote Post
speedy
post Jun 25 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

emtee, are you in Europe? Sounds like. If you were in the States, I'd recommend you take a look at Mark Shale (www.markshale.com). They specialize in separates, casual chic, urban, sexy but not inappropriate. And it's all stuff you can mix and match for lots of different looks on a sensible budget.
If I can volunteer a tip: don't think so much of dressing for this job; dress for the job (or the company) you'd ultimately like to have. Good luck and congratulations!

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 25 2006, 01:09 PM
Post #11

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

This is where the problem comes in - most of my "smart" clothes come in two categories: black, or linen.

I have got a gorgeous long jacket from East that I long to wear, which is white and pink, but it's finding something to go underneath it - I usually wear it with jeans and a plain tee as it pretty much needs a plain background.

+Quote Post
seraphine
post Jun 25 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #12

Awesome thread idea, and kudos to my guy, actually, for the thread's name. =) I am sure he'll be flattered to know it was chosen!

Have fun!

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Ah, well- stay away from black, I guess. In my limited wedding experience, black is chic in urban areas, but when I went to my cousin's wedding in rural saskatchewan, my family was shocked and appauled.

Maybe a simple shift dress, or skirt-and-top combo? That should cover you for formal and more relaxed events.

Coloured shoes, you say? That sounds fun!

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 25 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #14

the wedding's in Ireland - it's my cousin's - and some sort of churchy country house affair. My father doesn't have the nous to tell me whether or not it's a formal-formal wedding or something a little more relaxed. And whether or not I can get away with wearing something in my own style, or go for the conservative look. My family's catholic, and my aunt's a control freak.

Definitely something like black trouser/jeans and a blouse. (ninja-edited after I read amilita's post). Ooh, shoes. Coloured shoes lift a plain outfit so much - especially if you're going for the black trouser look - and make jeans look much smarter. I find the best smart-casual outfits are made by the accessories rather than the actual clothes. Or maybe that's just me.

+Quote Post
amilita
post Jun 25 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #15

Me-yow!

Yeah, that sounds good...I guess it would be nice to add in an element that is kinda fun/interesting/colorful, too...kinda advertise your creativity and all that, ya know? Even if it is simply a neato piece of jewelry or an unusual color combination (besides the pants) or something.

I swear, when I was running our art gallery, they profiled this woman (in Lucky) who did the same in New York and her outfit was so cool. Very hip, but also professional...pretty casual but put-together. That's what I aspire to. I can't remember specifics about it, but it was the kind of thing I bet would go over well at your theatre company.

I swear, I can't even choose from many kinds of shoes because I have flat feet and get foot pain really easily...I need to be able to walk around and be comfy. But I at least try to buy my comfy shoes in colors, so that they are interesting that way. I have red clogs and white old-school Dr. Scholl's.

I find that shoes in a color adds so much more to an outfit and go just as well as black or brown most of the time.

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the Lucky magazine tip, amilita- I'll definitely go pick up a copy.

We don't have a written dress code, it's a theatre company, so I'm sure that pretty much anything goes- for my first day, should I stick to something like black pants and a blouse?

Mornington- where's the wedding?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 25 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #17

Big Fat Bitch

Pleased to see that this got off the ground after so much debate!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 25 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #18

definitely ask if there is a dress code; at least that way you can't get into trouble. Even just ask your boss.

I'd say you need to be smart, even if you're not in a suit, by the sounds of it. If there's anyone else in your department, see what they wear. I'm a fan of the shirt and smart jeans combo at least until you know what you can get away with.

I'll lurk in here. Not actually having broken out the suits since I left school. I'll probably come in screaming if I end up going to a family wedding in August, although whether or not I go depends more on me finding something to wear first.

+Quote Post
amilita
post Jun 25 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #19

Me-yow!

Nice thread.

I think it sounds like you could get away with just about anything there...but seeing as how you're new, you probably wanna lean towards the less permissive just to help with being taken seriously and all.

Is there any written dress policy at all? If so, I'd stick with that even if other employees don't, at least at first. Then you can get more of a feel for what's acceptable for your particular job, not just the workspace.

And what's that thing they always say...dress for the job you want, not the job you have!

It's my guilty pleasure to buy Lucky magazine...they lean more towards everyday outfits and wearing things different ways as opposed to coture. I get inspired by it sometimes.

+Quote Post
emtee
post Jun 25 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm sure we've all had occasions where we were absolutely flabergasted as to what to wear- I know I have!

I'm starting a new job in a creative field in a few weeks. When I went in for my interview, everyone was in jeans or funky outfits, and I was in my very formal business suit. This is my first job out of university and I'm not sure what's appropriate- and I'll be working with the media and outside clients. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
40 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18, 2014 - 08:39 AM