post May 21 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #821

let's go oilers, let's go!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post May 12 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #822

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

And did you all know R.E.A.L. Women (yep, they're still around) are calling for a review of Status of Women Canada's funding program?

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 12 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #823

Hardcore BUSTie

Reactivists.

What's next on the agenda, votes for women?

+Quote Post
bluejupiter
post May 12 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #824

Hardcore BUSTie

it's happening..... and my blood is boiling

anti-choice protesters

love that the article calls them 'activists'

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post May 8 2006, 01:38 PM
Post #825

Um....*hangs head with shame*...I didn't say I always agreed with him! Sometimes I stand in the middle of my living room, arguing with the radio. Actually, what I love best is when they mimick him as "Max Pointy" on Air Farce or 22 Minutes (can't remember which).

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 8 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #826

Hardcore BUSTie

*sigh* Doodle, Doodle, how could you? Rex Murphy shit all over the Christian Peacemakers in the Grope and Fail after they got rescued.

+Quote Post
fina
post May 7 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #827

Hardcore BUSTie

Thought you might like to know how progressive the new tax regs could be: proposed legislation will allow one to claim, as a medical tax deduction: medical marijuana purchased from Health Canada, or from someone who possesses an official licence under the Marijuana Medical Access Regulations (except that they spell it marihuana).

+Quote Post
tyger
post May 6 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #828

Hardcore BUSTie

oooh, i like TRU (and UCC, too, when it was that). they gave me money, books, pens, and shirts for being whiz-bang good at chem in highschool. not that that thought has anything to do with the current conversation, but i'm all about random interjections

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post May 6 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #829

pepper, it will depend on what your province does in the aftermath of the childcare transfer cancellation. What I know right now is that it's estimated 33,000 currently funded child care spaces will be lost by the feds not following through on the promise of child care.

In BC, the province had promised to release a provincial Childcare Action Plan on January 31. Now we're told not to expect a plan anytime soon. The BC Budget doesn't include any provincial funding to cover the loss of federal childcare dollars, and without the federal money, it's expected that childcare fees will go up and subsidies will be cut...and families on wait lists will not be able to get a new childcare space.

Probably the best idea is to get in touch with your province's child care advocacy group and find out what it means in your province.

Once you know - even though you've signed and forwarded petitions - please consider writing a personal letter, outlining your own story and how you will be affected. Giving the opposition parties personal stories of how individual families are directly impacted by government policy is VERY important, because it gives them an opportunity to talk beyond the numbers and put a human face on the issue.

erinjane, I work in a community women's centre, rather than a campus one, but I know some of the work is the same. Three of my board are heavily involved in trying to get a campus women's centre at Thompson Rivers University (formerly University College of the Cariboo), though. It's actually looking promising at this point! :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 5 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #830

doodle, i have signed a bunch of online petitions and forwarded them along but i still don't exactly understand what is happening. no one has really said what the plan is, will ALL daycare subsidy except for this taxable $100/month be scrapped? that Would mean that i'd have to quit my job. i just can't manage the $600-plus/month that daycare costs. surely that can't be the plan?!
and wouldn't i just LOVE to stay home with my kid and be martha-arts-and-crafty mom but let's get real. i don't get dime one from his dad, i'd like to know how i'm supposed to pull this off.
does ANYONE know with any degree of certainty what the actual plan is? please tell me.

+Quote Post
erinjane
post May 5 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #831

Hardcore BUSTie

Woo, Doodle!

Unfortunatly I'm only on contract, and it ends June 30. I'm hoping to hear back about a position with the UofW's women's centre.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post May 5 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #832

pepper, write to the PM. Do it. Tell him exactly what the child care change means to you. And write the same letter to the leaders of each party. The opposition parties NEED personal stories to read out in the House. Send it as soon as you can! I'm sure we can all help you, if you need help writing it.

erinjane, I didn't know you work in a women's centre! Me too!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 5 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #833

Hardcore BUSTie

Heh heh. That GO train story almost makes me wish I lived in the burbs...

+Quote Post
erinjane
post May 5 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #834

Hardcore BUSTie

I meant to reply to your earlier post, bluejupiter, but yes, the provinces that are already in agreement with get their money this year. But 1 year out of a preliminary 5 year plan is a pretty shitty deal if you ask me.

pepper, I would be all for sending the money back, but my brother is under the LICO and even the deal is a shitty one, sending back the money is not really realistic for him and others in his position.

I work in a women's centre right now so I get a lot of the info coming across my desk and it pisses me off so much. Grrrr. I just feel so helpless with this government in place.

Heh, i feel like I keep coming in here just to vent. :P

--------------------

+Quote Post
bluejupiter
post May 5 2006, 07:26 AM
Post #835

Hardcore BUSTie

the Minister in charge of this child care 'plan' (she's the one always wearing sunglasses in the house, why is that?) had her secretary say that this money is so that kids can stay home with their moms!
Are you freakin' kidding me? Or it's to be used for school books, or sports etc or a babysitter every so often.
At the end they threw in "or for kids who are in daycare"

Nice eh?

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 4 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #836

omigod, didja see this on teevee?
http://www.makepovertyhistory.ca
i freaking cried.

+Quote Post
tyger
post May 4 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #837

Hardcore BUSTie

i'm with erinjane on this one, dood, sorry. if it was stuart mclean, on the other hand...swooon

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 4 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #838

ej, some parents are sending back the money in protest. your brother could do that, no? if it really makes his situation worse why not send it back to the cons with a letter telling them to stuff it and why?
doodle, is this an option? any idears lady?

seriously, how can they scrap all daycare subsidy next year? i WILL have to quit my job. no kidding. he'll be in kindergarten until sept 2007 whiwc runs from 8:30-11:00 every day. what am i supposed to do with him? drop him off in the school yard at 7:30 and hope he makes it? leave him in the park for six and a half hours after school? wtf, come ON! i have to work That much to afford what we have NOW, how the fuck am i going to do this? aaAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
erinjane
post May 4 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #839

Hardcore BUSTie

doodle, heh, I am a HUGE CBC freak, but I absolutly hate Rex Murphy. :P His show really annoys me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chani
post May 4 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #840

Hardcore BUSTie

I can understand your alacrity at his proximity!

+Quote Post

44 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 31, 2014 - 06:21 PM