Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bragging Rights
treehugger
post Sep 5 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #1

cryostat bitch

hehe...I'd be pimping em, saying "i better never see you helping EACH OTHER with yer tires"... wink.gif

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Sep 5 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Heya, I don't know where to post this but it was funny and I wanted to say it somewhere.

As you know, I'm a member of our local volunteer fire department. I've worked hard for the department and I consider myself to be just one of the guys, even though I'm the only woman firefighter. I change clothes in the truck bay where they change clothes, I sleep in the trucks with them, we work very close together and have what I consider to be a mutual respect.

Today, we had a call. Driving back to the fire hall after the call, I notice that my car parked in the lot has a flat tire. I mention it in passing and we go in and rehab our equipment. When we're finished, I say that I'm going to go deal with my flat tire. I go out to the lot and begin to change my tire, by myself. In a few minutes, the other two firefighters come out, say they're going to lunch, wave goodbye and drive off - leaving me to finish changing the tire on my car all by myself. Proof positive that I'm one of the guys. I was a little peeved that they didn't offer to help me. I would have said thanks but I've got it, but they could at least have offered. But more than that, I'm proud that I'm just one of the guys there. It feels good.

fiddler (who can be a very girly girl sometimes)

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Mar 1 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #3

PANTIES! ew.

Trust me, you're NOT missing a thing -- I mean, unless you're actually LOOKING for a reason to get out of bed!

+Quote Post
maimy
post Mar 1 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

*Must start to actually read those now*

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Mar 1 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #5

PANTIES! ew.

I was quoted in the BUST email newsletter thingie AGAIN?! And this time for saying something totally inane. Gee... thanks?! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 23 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #6

brown delicious

I got an internship position, which in itself is no big deal. Many people getting their doctorates have done it too. But, it just feels so good after the rough couple of years I've had. It feels so good!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
Phantom
post Feb 19 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

Wow, I wish I paid more attention in history class! A lot of authors of novels post the first chapter in various places on the Internet to get their audience hooked - will you be doing that when your book?

+Quote Post
maimy
post Feb 14 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Phantom, the Gallic wars significantly predated my period - I'm in the 4th/5th centuries AD, so more of a Frankish and Gallo-Roman dynamic. (There is also a sequel for which I have a chunk of outlining and a first chapter written, but as it is about a scion of the family who married into another culture, it departs from this setting into more Byzantine territory.)

+Quote Post
Phantom
post Feb 12 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #9

BUSTie

QUOTE(maimy @ Feb 10 2007, 04:37 PM) *

Phantom, it's a historical novel set in late antiquity in Gaul. Up to 211 pages since the December 5 post (and the sequel, which has been forming more slowly alongside the first work, is up to 74 pages of outlining and notation; though there's very little final writing in the second, the deployment of research is a big part of this process, so getting 74 pages in order and into place is pretty good).

...and it's not even pure fiction! That's ambitious. Is it a war novel? I looked up Gaul, and much of what I found is about the Gallic Wars.

QUOTE(curioushair @ Feb 10 2007, 06:18 PM) *

Thanks. My traffic only shot up for two hours on the Thursday afternoon I got "best blog." (I guess that's how long it took me to fall off their website's front page.) It didn't lead hordes of readers to my site, but that's okay. It was in the print edition, too, and a few of my mom's friends congratulated me on my "article." I though that was funny.

You're welcome. wink.gif

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 10 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #10

the moistiest

girtrouble, let us know when/where you're featured on the site smile.gif

and, because i'm on a roll this week...

i TOTALLY got to shake Hillary Clinton's hand and have a brief two-liner with her today smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Feb 10 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Phantom @ Feb 9 2007, 02:25 AM) *

Hey now, some of those Gorillas can be pretty hot...uh...or so I've heard. unsure.gif Moving right along, you're still doing better than I am with my myspace blog, which nobody. ever. reads. EVER.

P.S.

I love your Lego dominatrix avatar. I ate slept and drank Legos when I was a kid.

Thanks. My traffic only shot up for two hours on the Thursday afternoon I got "best blog." (I guess that's how long it took me to fall off their website's front page.) It didn't lead hordes of readers to my site, but that's okay. It was in the print edition, too, and a few of my mom's friends congratulated me on my "article." I though that was funny.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post
maimy
post Feb 10 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Phantom, it's a historical novel set in late antiquity in Gaul. Up to 211 pages since the December 5 post (and the sequel, which has been forming more slowly alongside the first work, is up to 74 pages of outlining and notation; though there's very little final writing in the second, the deployment of research is a big part of this process, so getting 74 pages in order and into place is pretty good).

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Feb 10 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #13

new highs in personal lows daily!

yay! my first commsion (sp?) for a painting. there are still details to nail down, but yay! oh and i might be on a late night cable axcess show talking about transgenderism and my paintings and i am supposed to be written up on a website soon...

*starts singing 'fame' and dancing around*
*i feel it coming together..."
/dorkyness

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Feb 10 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Feb 9 2007, 11:58 PM) *

i totally got quoted in a prominent and prestigious medical journal!

...but it was uncredited sad.gif

but yay! my words in print!

Congratulations. I'm sorry you weren't credited though. I've had that happen before -- with photos, not words. On one hand, "Yay! I got noticed!" On another, "But nobody knows it's me!" Kind of stings a litte.

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 9 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #15

the moistiest

i totally got quoted in a prominent and prestigious medical journal!

...but it was uncredited sad.gif

but yay! my words in print!

+Quote Post
puppykitty
post Feb 8 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm gonna brag for a sec.

I got a new job as a line cook at a fancy schmancy fine dining restaurant, and although I was scared as hell to start off with, I am kicking ass!!! I have been whipping the desserts out (it feels like - I'm actually kind of slow), and one of the servers said yesterday that the desserts have been coming out gorgeous. Yay for me.

My trainer said that although I'm not fast yet (she doesn't expect me to be right off the bat), I have been doing everything RIGHT, so that's an awesome start, and better than she can say about others she has trained.

One more thing. I listen to "The World" on NPR every day, and I love the GeoQuiz, but it's always so effing hard. Two days ago, I solved it! Hells yeah! I solved it before Lisa Mullens even finished describing the location! You know why I solved it? BECAUSE I AM THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!!!

OK, maybe not that, but I am now an official NPR-dork.

--------------------
I'm like a Chocoholic, but for booze.

+Quote Post
Phantom
post Feb 8 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #17

BUSTie

QUOTE(maimy @ Dec 5 2006, 08:04 PM) *

I'll brag about writing too - my novel-thing is 177 pages, and I am on track to the goal of 200 by New Year's. Wewt.

Congratulations! I never had the attention span to write a novel. What's it about?

QUOTE(go_kayte @ Jan 3 2007, 07:51 PM) *

I won two straight leg falls in indian leg wrestling! Against the guy who before was undefeated! That makes me the new unofficial indian leg wrestling champ! (We're thinking of creating a league)

I've heard of leg wrestling, but I've never tried it. It sounds like fun.

QUOTE(curioushair @ Jan 28 2007, 10:03 AM) *

A local "alternative paper" gave me "blog of the week." (Which is probably like being voted prettiest gorilla. for all I know. Yay?) It didn't cause the spike in traffic that I expected/feared, but being noticed is nice. (She says as she retreats to the underground.)

Hey now, some of those Gorillas can be pretty hot...uh...or so I've heard. unsure.gif Moving right along, you're still doing better than I am with my myspace blog, which nobody. ever. reads. EVER.

P.S.

I love your Lego dominatrix avatar. I ate slept and drank Legos when I was a kid.

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Jan 28 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

A local "alternative paper" gave me "blog of the week." (Which is probably like being voted prettiest gorilla. for all I know. Yay?) It didn't cause the spike in traffic that I expected/feared, but being noticed is nice. (She says as she retreats to the underground.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
housewife
post Jan 24 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(roseviolet @ Jan 24 2007, 10:00 AM) *

[Gives my fellow housewife a big High 5]
That is fabulous!!! Congrats!

: ) thanks!

--------------------
"Ward, I'm worried about the Beaver." -June Cleaver

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Jan 24 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #20

Pacifism kicks ass!

[Gives my fellow housewife a big High 5]
That is fabulous!!! Congrats!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 24, 2014 - 08:49 PM