Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mag mama...the magazine thread
i_am_jan
post Oct 9 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Vanilla: Oh great...thanks for the link! going there now...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 8 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Is Spin still owned by Bob Guccione, or whatever his name is? The pig who owns Penthouse?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
VanillaXtraDry
post Oct 8 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #3

BUSTie

sorry if this has already been discussed but let's talk about "the big" music mags for a minute....

is there a thread about ROLLING STONE here? i have some a thing against that magazine...i feel like they're terribly out of touch. its a shame bc they always make sure politics are tied into the mag, but everything else about them is so lame.

i think SPIN is 100% a much better music mag.

+Quote Post
VanillaXtraDry
post Oct 8 2007, 02:49 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

http://www.girlistic.com/magazine.htm

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Oct 5 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Hmm, can anyone tell me a few descriptive words about GIRLISTIC and WIRED? I keep hearing they're great...basically, I'm looking for something similar to BUST (something FUN, funny, smart, real info. a gal can *use* (like I can probably figure out how to buy my own makeup, create my own 'style'? ahem ~ like, I do enjoy fashion-n-shite, but tell me something I DON'T know)

+Quote Post
lananans
post Oct 3 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

My boyfriend always jokes that women's magazines (Like Glamour and Cosmo etc) are the same thing, with different titles, over and over again. It's very true, as evidenced by anna_k's example about the O-Face. But we actually do still read them, why do I read them? Not sure.

I only subscribe to InStyle currently, but next year after I have a permanent address (as I'm a student right now and know that I'm only in my house until May when i will be going ... somewhere) I plan to subscribe to more. Also then I will have a job... I hope. I have a job now but have to pay for school, which sort of trumps mag subscriptions.

When I have extra cash I tend to pick up the New Yorker, Glamour, and Marie Claire. I want to get Bust (I'm new to Bust, was introduced to it by a women's history professor at school), and I'm reading an article on Tango's website about romantic getaways and I am fascinated. I want to go to San Francisco! They have a vibrator museum! Awesome.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Oct 3 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I was reading Glamour today, and saw that they stole something from Jane magazine. In the News and Views section, they had a little piece making fun of rock stars making O-faces while playing guitar. Jane did that months ago, and both pieces used John Mayer and Lenny Kravitz to make fun of. Glamour even included a barometer of agony to ecstasy, mimicking how Jane pointed out who would be a good lover by what his face looks like during a guitar solo. It's so blatant, and the magazines may market to different types of women, but young 20-30something year old women still read this stuff.

+Quote Post
femmespeak
post Feb 5 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #8

BUSTie

oh what a bummer bitch is relocating!!! They're only 3 hours away in the bay area, and I still haven't gone to one of their gatherings. Well...my fault for waiting.

Portland is an awesome place to relocate to.

--------------------
Did someone just open a can of spam?

+Quote Post
vesicapisces
post Jan 31 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Current favorite magazine: Art Doll Quarterly.
Read cover to cover on Monday while I was waiting for the doctor for 90 minutes past my appointment time, which flew by because I was completely fascinated: Seed

--------------------

+Quote Post
edna
post Jan 27 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

I just read that Bitch magazine is relocating to Portland (where I live). I don't know why that news excites me so much, but it does.

+Quote Post
femmespeak
post Jan 23 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #11

BUSTie

Let us know how IndieArts turns out! Never heard of a DVD magazine before!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dusty
post Jan 17 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

I subscribe to:

Bust
Artitude
Art & Life
Rubberstampmadness
Quilting Arts (er, because I am such an avid quilter...not)
Cloth Paper Scissors

Oh, and I just subscribed, sight unseen, to something called IndieArts, which is apparently a DVD magazine, ie. a magazine on DVD.

+Quote Post
femmespeak
post Jan 17 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

LOL. I used to like real simple. but then it turned into this giant catalog of ads that showed up all jammed in my mailbox. just not enough cool stuff in it. though I did love the last "15 minutes" issue. That's right up my alley.

Instead of real simple, I go for Sunset as an option. Mostly because I love the garden stuff along with crafts and food.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jan 15 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #14

new highs in personal lows daily!

thanks, aquagirl, now i've got cereal milk all over everything....

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 15 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #15

PANTIES! ew.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard (and just now Googled it) that the median household income for RealSimple magazine readers is $88,000 (and average age is early 40s). If I had that much money, I'd be paying someone else to pop the pills for me.

+Quote Post
aquagirl3
post Jan 14 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone read Real Simple? The question this month was "What is your favorite speed-cleaning tip?" I just emailed them: "Quite often I have found myself fatigued and overwhelmed by the clutter in my house. Methamphetamines have been a real lifesaver! They are easy to acquire if you know the right people, and they give you that extra burst of energy to get your house in tip-top shape!"

It is my feeling that the minions who work on Real Simple might be in desperate need of a larf.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jan 8 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #17

new highs in personal lows daily!

IPB Image
i don't know if the busties in the craft section have mentioned it yet, i just came across this today--but the folks who created the most tempting $15 magazine, Make: have done it again-- this time with a drool worthy first ish of Craft:. and if make was drool worthy, then i am swimming in the puddle caused by Craft. things like "knit your skateboard, knit a pair of boots, silk screening, the virtues of gocco, cat furnature, make your own paint by numbers articles by the fantastic jenny hart ( as well as a profile on her, she has the bad ass patterns sold in juxtapoz, and i think bust) and suzie bright and lots more. this is one more goddamn thing i have to buy when i get my first paycheck. *sigh*

linky:
Craft: home page
Craft: 01 table of contents list

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
wombat
post Jan 2 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #18

Dragon Velocity

I seriously have to subscribe to Bust.

I used to never subscribe to anything b/c people in my building would take stuff. Now we have big beautiful mailboxes that can fit magazines, plus the people in the building are nice, we feel totally fine leaving our laundry unattended and stuff.

I'm lucky that my boyfriend gets a lot of UK art and design magazines, and Wired, for free!!

I love those artists, girltrouble, and also, the Spanish cholo art with the religious and graffiti elements.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
go_kayte
post Dec 29 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

I subscribe to Bust, Wired, Blender, and Tape Op (a recording magazine). I also grab Bitch, Punk Planet, Mojo, Rolling Stone, and Utne reader occasionally at the bookstore. I just got the "green issue" of Bitch today. I should subscribe.

+Quote Post
femmespeak
post Dec 29 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #20

BUSTie

My top 9, in no particular order:
Bitch
Girlistic
Bust
Curve
Ms
Look-Look
LIP (not the feminist one, though that's good too, but the political one)
Wicked Alice (poetry)
Sunset

Magazines...the minibook that keeps on givin'.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 19, 2014 - 03:17 AM