3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Make Me Shush You!--Librarians/Archivists/Info Professionals
girl_logic
post May 27 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I haven't the foggiest sassygirl.

So I did the smaller party last night, and am gearing up for a larger one at my other branch this weekend. I ended up making some extra large cookies and having the children decorate them, and of course gobble them up, and then we played some word-bingo. I was touched by how reluctant some of the children were to leave. One girl in particular stayed alone at the table nursing her candy long after all the other's had left. I asked her if she was ready to go home and she looked a little uncomfortable. I gave her some tasks to 'help' with and she relaxed and smiled, helped out then left.

Today I did some outreach at local high schools. That felt really good.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 21 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #2

sassygrrl

Is there any reason why there aren't many universities offering MLIS or MLS degrees? On the ALA website, there aren't many in Georgia or Oregon. only One of the schools I really wanted to go to doesn't have any, and I just worried why they didn't offer a program. I wrote them, and they just gave me the standard "we don't do that degree."

Super bummed.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 20 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks a bunch Ananke, stations is brilliant. I have been flailing for ideas here though I've been looking up "icebreakers" and "indoor games".

--------------------

+Quote Post
ananke
post May 19 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Youth services librarian here! Or I was - I'm on maternity leave now.

One of the best suggestions I've seen is making 'stations' so you don't end up with a zillion kids swarming and overwhelming stuff. As for games the 'exquisite corpse' game (writing or drawing) is good. Match the author to the book/character to the book. Charades acting out a scene from a book (I'd suggest you pick the scenes though...)

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 19 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi everyone, are there any children's librarians here, LA's or Pages who run programs or parties?

I'm going to be running the end of year party for a children's literacy program at my branch, and I need some ideas for fun appropriate group games that we can play (no water or running, you know).

There will be about 20 children between 9 and 12, plus their parents and volunteers there. It's a large age range, but the focus is on the kids and their participation. Halp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Nov 22 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey! It's going ...so so. My moving to NY is still up in the air, and my current situation is looking as sweet as ever. Which isn't saying much - it's just I finally have a senority level that matters when it comes to moving up in the organization.

I still might end up going to school in the U.S. but I might try one of the online programs instead of moving there. I heard that San Fran's LD program is pretty solid.

Faerietails, this is as bad as it's going to get for you. I believe that autumn semesters _everywhere_ are notorious for being stress beasts. If you can pull through this with the demands on your time, if you can stay on top of your school work you'll be doing okay in January and the rest of the new year. I know how hard it is though. This is when you figure out a method for staying on top and sane. If I knew then what I know now, I would have dropped some of my extra responsibilities in favour of concentrating on school.

eta: I know this sounds like crazy talk considering the demands on your time right now, but have you considered getting a tutor?

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Nov 12 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #7

sassygrrl

Faerietails, thanks for the advice. The recruiter last week told me that the SOP was the most important part. I'm nervous about the application. I already have the letters of rec lined up though. Luckily, I'm still friends with many of my old professors. I know she was selling UW, but it was a very good interview. Mcgeek got to speak to her as well about his goals at UW. We really got so excited to go back to school in general.

I'm sorry school is kicking your ass. That scares me as well. I'm not nearly as techy as I used to be.

Vixen, how's it going??

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Nov 8 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #8

donut-lovin' heathen

hey sassy! for my SOP, i think i just wrote about why now was the good time for me to do the program, as well as why i wanted to become a librarian (as well as what type of institution you want to work for, or what kind of librarian/archivist you want to be). i might have put something in there about my long term goals, too.

can i just say...library school is kicking my ass, and i think a big part of that has to do with the fact that it's an online program? i mean, one of the classes is fine (children's lit). but the info and technology stuff? it's reaaaaally hard to grasp searching techniques and stuff without being in a classroom and watching the teacher explain it through lecture. and then a lot of the people in my program are teachers or already working in libraries, so i think a lot of them already know some of this stuff, whereas half the time i'm like, "huh?"

plus, i feel like i'm always drowning in work because i'm doing it full-time (3 classes), plus teaching 3 classes at the local community college, plus helping to plan a fundraiser coming up next month for my second job. it's INSANE! all that being said, i do look forward to eventually graduating and finding a nice, stable job with benefits so that i won't have to spread myself all over the place just so i can pay my rent!

vixen, i live in the 'burbs outside nyc, and some of the public libraries here are amazing (of course, there's also serious wealth in this area). i haven't been to any in the city, but i think it all just depends on the library and the area it's in. some go out of their way to reach out to their community, and some...not so much.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Nov 7 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #9

sassygrrl

Hi vixen! I'm not too sure about NYU.

So, I've decided to apply to UW and some other schools out west. I'm taking the GRE in a few months, and going to start working on my statement of purpose. Is there any advice anyone can give me? They want a SOP, 1 additional question, and why I would pick the residential vs online program. Faerie, any advice?

I just don't want to pull my hair out in the process. I haven't written an essay in about 8 years!!

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Oct 27 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Library grrrls!
I've been in the public library system for years, and am on the verge of applying to grad school so will have lots of questions along those lines soon.

My question today is for Americans or anyone who has experience, knowledge of New York libraries (especially public) and the standards of work there. My boyfriend has been urging me to move there, but I'm reluctant to give up my position in a really great public library system, for one that I fear will be 2nd rate. Am I being unfair to NYPL? I'm hoping someone will say yes...

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
faerietails2
post Oct 3 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #11

donut-lovin' heathen

Well I finally took the plunge and applied to a MLS program! I can't belive I'm attempting this so soon after finishing my MA (this past May!), but it's been something I've been thinking about for quite some time now. Plus, I know I can get a job with a MLS, as opposed to my current state in jobless purgatory.

I already sent the main application into admissions, but I still have to send in the second application/letters of recommendation to the SLIS department, etc. *sigh* It's a pain in the butt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Sep 6 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #12

PANTIES! ew.

What a damn shame, Nickclick. When I was growing up, I hung out in the library with my friends a lot -- sometimes to study, sometimes to gossip and not use our indoor voices. Even though I can remember several times being asked to leave the library because my friends and I wouldn't or couldn't shut up (oh gosh, ever had a case of the giggles while looking up naughty stuff in the card catalog?), I don't know what I would have done with myself or who I would have become if I didn't have my hometown's public library as a refuge.

+Quote Post
ToyBox
post Sep 6 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #13

We do document incidents. We fill out incident reports and up until
recently kept statistics on behavioral problems. We recently stopped doing this
because our new manager said it was "too depressing".

The staff have been asking for years to get some kind of security.

Admin seems to have a big mental block on this issue.

I just don't see what the big deal is. A lot of libraries have
security these days. I think staff and patrons would feel a lot better about being in the library.

They say they don't have the money, but they just hired a new Asst. Administrator and
made a part-time reference position into a full-time position this year.

Sorry to be venting so much.

I really do like my job over all!

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Sep 6 2007, 06:11 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Is there any way your staff can document incidents in order to pressure your admin to hire security?

+Quote Post
ToyBox
post Sep 4 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #15

I read that article about the library in NJ that closed after school.

After school programing is important, but many of the kids who are
disruptive aren't interested in programs.

I'm bummed tonight because I had to call the cops on
two groups of possible gang bangers that were about to have a confrontation in
front of the library. This happened at 8 pm.

The library administrators where I work
refuse to get any security, so the job lands on the
librarians. This is unfortunate. Not only is it stressful but it prohibits the librarians from concentrating
on good service to those patrons who are actually using the library.

I used to work at a library for Planned Parenthood and I felt safer there...bomb threats, anthrax, protesters and all!

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Aug 30 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

the library system in my city has been running a sustained campaign to attract and interest teenagers in the library.
as long as everyone learns to respect each other and the house rules, no problemo. in fact some <i>staff</i> are given training on the respect part. teenagers can smell a sneer at 40 paces.

anyhoo, i work at the public library too...it's alright.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Aug 30 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(ToyBox @ Aug 25 2007, 10:55 PM) *
Any other public librarians out there?

I'm in one of those public libraries that gets
inundated with kids at 3:00 every weekday afternoon.

Other than the babysitting, I like my job.

there was a problem with a library here in NJ recently, i'll have to look online for an article. but the library actually closed in the afterschool hours because teens were using it as a hangout. and many people were upset, saying the library should be welcoming kids rather than throwing them out. they should probably get creative about giving them something to do.

+Quote Post
britarchivist
post Aug 27 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #18

I worked at my HS library and my college library. I have never relly pursued being a librarian, but Im sure it wouldnt be too hard

+Quote Post
ToyBox
post Aug 25 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #19

Any other public librarians out there?

I'm in one of those public libraries that gets
inundated with kids at 3:00 every weekday afternoon.

Other than the babysitting, I like my job.

+Quote Post
dusty
post Aug 24 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/prod...SKU_ID=SKU27594

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23, 2014 - 09:57 AM