The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aliens and spaceships and monsters, oh my! The all things sci-fi thread.
damona
post May 1 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #1

can i go to bed now?

my mom got the X-Files on dvd and i've been rewatching those. i'd forgotten how scary/spooky some of the episodes are! i had to stop watching them when i was alone here at night, because every creak from the wood floors had me jumping!

on another note, my kids have watched stargate sg1 so often that one day the audio was accidentally switched to french... and i didn't notice for almost 15 minutes. yikes.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mouni4
post Apr 26 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #2

BUSTie

What about Mamoru Oshii? here's the trailer of 'Assault Girl' - has somebody already seen it?

Assault Girl Trailer

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Apr 2 2010, 06:07 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

the finale was amazing.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Mar 31 2010, 06:11 AM
Post #4

it's cards on the table time

OMG Caprica got amazing... and is now off the air until the autumn!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Feb 24 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

I have to confess that I have never seen BSG and I know I know I should get down with that. I think visually Caprica is stunning and I kinda have a crush on Sam Adama.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Feb 24 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Missladyj, I've watched the first 3 episodes and I have mixed feelings. I really liked the pilot and I like most of the cast (nicely creepy to see the allstar football player from Friday Night Lights in there) but I hate the opening credits and I'm not sure about how they're handling the Zoe/machine conceit.. Basically I like the themes and ideas but am not crazy about how they're being played out.

To be fair I (and everyone else) have been spoiled by BSG...I'll keep watching though.

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Feb 22 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I have been watching Caprica. It is gorgeous. anyone else been tuning in?

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Nov 10 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(missladyj @ Nov 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
so who watched V last night? I have to say I am interested and will keep watching .

I almost died when I saw the ad that this show is back. V scared the hell out of me when I was a kid (or maybe it just grossed me out!)

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 5 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

What a great thread...I'm so happy there are other geeks like me in the Lounge! I admit it; I even love original Trek.

Anyway, has anyone checked out the animated series Mushi-Shi? Even if you generally hate anime you may love this series. Each episode is a separate story, so it doesn't matter what order you watch the episodes in. It's breathtakingly beautiful, each story is entrenched in the natural world and there is a subtle, lyrical quality to the stories. Each one reminds me of a zen koan; a little kernal of truth, beauty and the paradoxical nature of life.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Nov 5 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #10

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I really liked it. it was kind of slow and pensive feeling, although the action did move.

At one point, my boyfriend said, "I bet her partner (Alan Tudyk) is the turncoat." I replied, "Wash would never turn against the human race!" Immediately after: BAM! He's a lizard!

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Nov 3 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

so who watched V last night? I have to say I am interested and will keep watching .

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 31 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #12

I have always avoided the Stargate shows/films as they struck me as somewhat cheesy. However, as I await BSG related shows The Plan and (more)Caprica, I decided to check out Stargate Universe, drawn in by the presence of that great Scot Robert Carlyle. It certainly has cheesy moments, but doesn't require previous knowledge of SG and episode 5 has me thinking it is actually quite good. My only problem is its pro-militarist line which is fairly overt unfortunately, nothing like the critique of BSG.

Also loving season 2 of Dollhouse, which I class as sci-fi becuse of its preoccupations and because of the last apocalyptic episode of season 1.

Autumnal weather=more TV viewing for me, apparently...

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jul 22 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

I know Sybarite - it was so well done but I loved Ianto!

Where do you think the series will go from here? I've got a soft spot in my heart for Torchwood - I think the writing's patchy (especially some of the episodes in the last series), but when it's good it's very, very good.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Jul 20 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone seen Moon yet? Any reviews?

Achhh, I want to see it so badly.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jul 20 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #15

Persiflager--yes, quite nihilistic, but I thought it was awesome. Davies went for all-out critique of the British public service/lack of accountability IMO, and Capaldi's civil servant was genius if tragic.

Also, Jack's decisions, back in 1965 and with his own gransdon, were horrifying but at the same time I felt they cemented his character's ultimate evasive tendencies. It was sad but explained a lot about his past actions: his leaving his brother behind, to give one example. I turned to the mister at the end at said 'so actually, Jack's kind of a bastard' but I felt it was a brave move to show how complex his character was--not unlike Dr Who himself, who definitely has a dark side.

No series 4 (if it goes ahead, fingers crossed) until 2010...

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jul 14 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Torchwood: Children of the Earth = major downer sad.gif

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
annabananahannah...
post Apr 8 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

i took my little sister to see monsters vs. aliens. i liked it but we saw it in 3-d-
it kind of made me dizzy.

--------------------
what y'all lookin' at, biznotch?!

+Quote Post
whatagirlwants
post Apr 8 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #18

BUSTie

Last 2 sci-fi movies I caught were Alien Trespass and Monsters VS. Aliens. I have to admit, The Ghota from Alien Trespass looked like the twin of BOB from Monsters VS. Aliens. Both movies were really good. Anyone else catch Alien Trespass? Eric McCormack stars in it.

--------------------
LOVE TO LIVE. LIVE TO LOVE.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Apr 6 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone remember a young adult book about a girl raised on another planet - and settlers arrive from Earth, she falls in love with one of them, but she's not allowed to show him her face. And then it turns out that she looks really different, almost frightening. I remember that on the cover she had green skin. It was written by a woman. Does anyone remember this? I'm hoping to recommend it to some girls, it is driving me crazy.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Apr 1 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw Monsters vs. Aliens at the theater this weekend and giggled like a kid through the whole thing. I've never been a really big Seth Rogen fan, but I just fell in love with his B.O.B. voice. And Steven Colbert as the POTUS (President Of The United States) was an absolute scream.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 19, 2014 - 04:56 AM