Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> friendship by degrees--a myspace and friendster thread
culturehandy
post Dec 5 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #1

(o)(o)

Most of us have migrated to facebook, we're doing our own thing there. If you want in on our club, please PM me your deets then I'll get you set up.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thepointybird
post Nov 6 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey all, just letting you know I went on a wee bit of a Facebook friend-adding spree this evening, so don't be surprised to see a friend request from me!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 8 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #3

Big Fat Bitch

Oh, WORD! It's driving me crazy. Just when I get it to a good number, it slips up or down. I keep adding people in hopes of getting a magic number, but now I see it is pointless. And I've been having some drama with my profile page, too.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 7 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #4

new highs in personal lows daily!

yeah, and lately i can't access my own profile page. c'est le poup. but i know it must be driving you NUTS.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 7 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #5

Big Fat Bitch

Does anybody else's number of friends fluctuate? I'll get on in the morning & have two fewer friends, get on again at night & they are back & vice versa. What gives?

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 3 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #6

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

If I want just exclude one person from being able to see status updates, wall posts, photos, etc., or at least disable them from commenting, how do I do that?

I tried Settings > Privacy/Manage > Profile > Photos Tagged of You (and also did it for Wall Posts and Status & Links) > Customize. I have "Only Friends" as the regular setting, but added a "Except These People" down at the bottom. I entered the name, said OK on that pop-up window and Save Changes on the regular window. But when I view it as that person, it's all still there.

I don't want to have to create a group of everyone BUT her, because then everytime I add a friend I have to remember to add them.

Grr. I want to disable my aunt from seeing my shit because she always makes these obnoxious, critical comments and she's 80 years old, so she doesn't get half the stuff I'm talking about. Cantankerous old woman. Someday I'll be just like her.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 20 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #7

brown delicious

ok. i'm not the brightest one sometimes. i figured out how limit who sees my status updates and link. i gave the info to cc_girl and it is working for her too. for those wondering or as equally clueless as me, just go to setting->privacy->profile->status updates and links. Then, just enter your list of friends who you want access to this information.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 13 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

That's what I tried to do. It says something like, let everyone see my status except these people and it still didn't work. So then I tried to do the opposite and create one group of all the people I want to see my status and only put that group in my settings and that also didn't work.

+Quote Post
prophecy_grrl
post Aug 13 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I have created different "groups" of friends (the groups are completely invisible to everyone but you) one for family and one for work people. Then in privacy settings > profile you can customize who can see what. So, you can block an entire group from seeing your status updates or just an individual person. It doesn't help if you just want to block them from seeing a single post, but it's a start. It seems to be working fine when I test it in the "see how a friend sees your profile."

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 12 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #10

brown delicious

cocl, you are too funny! yeah, i only added people i wanted to stay in touch with using the fb. professional colleagues i keep to linkedin. although, i know alot of colleagues are on fb. if the security settings for wall posts do work, then i might consider adding them on fb. but, for now, hells no.

cc_girl, fb definitely seems to be the more mainstream of social networks. i mean, EVERYONE i know is on it. it seems more family oriented to me for some reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 12 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

I think I would like it better if I could just restrict certain wall posts that I make. For example, I wanted to jokingly post "who wants to go to the fetish fair" but I really don't want my 12 year old cousin to see that.

It's bugging me even more that after making a specific group of people that I want to post to and trying to change the settings that it still doesn't seem to be working.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 12 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #12

the moistiest

i think it sucks that fb's settings aren't more straightforward. the one thing i noticed is that things like "cocl is now friends with___" still shows up on restricted people's profile....

i was thinking about this today. i was thinking about how i have restrictions on mostly high school people. if they were really "friends", then 1. why am i restricting them? and 2. if i feel the need to restrict them, then why are we "friends"? then my head exploded.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 12 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #13

brown delicious

cocl, I sucked it up and made friends lists. So, we'll see if it changes after the last post I made. If not, well, I don't post anything too bad. I added my friend's daughter (she's 12) so I was just concerned with the wall post stuff with her. Thanks cocl for your help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 12 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

star, I tried to do the same thing! I made a group of certain people but when I checked what my profile looks like for them it still included my posts.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 12 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #15

the moistiest

star, if you changed your settings and THEN posted, and she still could see it, then i don't know what to tell you :-/

you could always just put all your friends minus her in a group ("people who don't suck") and then put all the settings to "only the PWDS group" can see....

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 12 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #16

brown delicious

thanks cocl! It is just really 1 person I want to restrict seeing the content of my wall posts. I did it this way

settings==>on my profile wall

And then under the "who can see this" and I clicked the "only friends" option and then clicked on this person's name under the "except these people" option. Does that sound right? When I checked what it would look like from her point of view....it still showed a post I made today. I guess I just don't want to have every friend on my list under the "some friends" option since it is only 1 person I don't want to see the contents of my wall posts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 12 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #17

the moistiest

cc_g, you can!

settings===>privacy===>profile

at the top, it says "See how a friend sees your profile:" with a box to "start typing friend's name"

viola!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 12 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks cocl! I just wish I could view my page as one of those people. Does that make sense? I'd like to know for sure what they see if they go to my page.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 12 2009, 04:37 AM
Post #19

the moistiest

cc_g:

settings-->privacy---->profile

there's drop down menus for parts of your profile. choose "custom". choose "some friends", then select the group (you have to type in the name of your group) you want to see that particular part of your profile.

& star, i'm not positive, but i think it goes into effect after you change the settings, leaving old posts/"pre-restriction" up.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 11 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #20

brown delicious

Oh, that's a good questions cc_girl! Unfortunately, I don't have the answer for you. sad.gif

My questions for fellow facebookers is if after you limit who can see wall posts on your wall...does it go into effect once you click on this setting or does all your wall posts disappear for the selected viewers. I tried doing this action for 1 friend, but, when I try to see what my wall looks like for this person...all of my wall posts show. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. unsure.gif

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 31, 2014 - 05:17 AM