The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> ..: suicidegirls.com is a slap in the face to feminists
awyeah
post Apr 23 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #1

when people (e.g. Roethke) bring up the fact that X statement wouldn't be tolerated if applied to a fat woman, but is tolerated when applied to thin women: I just really feel they must be feigning ignorance. I'm sorry to be harsh but it really rolls my eyes.

It is NOT the same, not even on the same scale, to say "so and so is a stick" as it is to say "so and so is a whale." The stick has the massive support of the relentless bombard of mainstream media and most of america. There aren't ads every 3 minutes, in every possible medium, telling consumers how to avoid being thin. No one asks their friends "do I look too thin in these jeans?" No one's mother warns them to stand up straight or they'll look too thin. No one is secretly snarfing cookies after gym class in an effort to avoid being thin. There are no "how not to be thin" websites and myspace groups. People do not try everything from surgery to extreme diets to exercise to accupuncture to carefully tailored clothes to colonics to faith healing to tape worms to avoid being thin. To cause real harm, anti-thin comments must first penetrate the densely woven cocoon of obsession and desirability enveloping the state of thinness. If you want to say comments about thin women offend you personally, that's totally valid, and I think people will respect that. But don't equate thin bashing and fat bashing.

I think most people who say comments about the overabundance of thinness on sites like SG are not saying there is something "wrong" with being thin (though some people don't look healthy) but there is something wrong with having a skewed representation of women, especially when you claim you are a diverse place. I've always been long and storklike, more so since becoming a distance runner. I say you're right, if you're healthy there is nothing wrong with being thin. It IS wrong to have all your media models be too thin, because all women are not thin -- not even close.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 27, 2014 - 08:54 PM