Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comics!
MsKissyStarfish
post Jul 2 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

Has anyone read FREAKANGELS? It is online and in print. I read all 60 of the episodes yesterday and we're purchasing the print versions as well. I've not liked any comic read this much since Strangehaven.

Anybody heading to San Diego Comic Con. this year? We're not, and it is sold out now. Maybe next year though. We're planning to do Chicago's show and I'm excited about that. smile.gif

--------------------
"What's past is prologue."
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jun 15 2009, 05:22 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

You guys! You guys you guys! Well this is more for GirlTrouble, but I forgot to mention that the week of the comic art festival, I witnessed some of the filming here in Toronto for the Scott Pilgrim movie. I know there's some serious anticipation for this shebang.

P.S. I liked Gemma Bovery too - I liked the artwork, clear open lines, simple but good facial expressions

And yes, I've read FunHouse and thought it was great too

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jun 12 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

I just read Posy Simmonds' Gemma Bovery, a funny modern re-telling of Flaubert's tale (with lots of digs at pretentious middle-class English people who move to France and never bother learning the language - ha! in their rich annoying faces!). I'm drawn in by story rather than art, but I haven't read that many comics - I'm sure I'll develop stronger preferences as I read more.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 10 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #4

new highs in personal lows daily!

oh! i miss flaming carrot. that always cracked me up.

i'm a sucker for clearlinists, simple, clean pared down, slightly cartoonish is my favorite, but i can get into some messy stuff-- i adore ted (eddy current, stray toasters)mckeever's sloppy messy art, or bill s' pasted up work, on electra assassin, or kirby's ink heavy, awkward art. i just like it to look unique. that said it took me forever to get into the miller's art. if i didn't love his stories in daredevil, i would have hated him. but art is usually why i'll read something initially. i'll buy some comics cos i love the art, and never bother to read them. lol... i just bought dragonfly which is in japanese. i haven't a clue what the story is, but the art is hypnotic. when i moved to seattle i hung out with a gang of (then aspiring) comic artists, and i was "the artist" while the others were all about story. i'm constantly drawing/cartooning so art is very very important to me. how about you? who are your favorite artists?

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post Jun 10 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #5

BUSTie

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jun 7 2009, 03:20 PM) *
i'm on a brubaker tear-- criminal is icon actually. it's very good. very tight plotting.

i also finished the death of captain american omnibus, and a couple of the graphic novels wrapping (some) things up. i loved it, and i've never cared much for cap. but the story re-wrote the character of bucky, and brought in old heroes like the invaders and the falcon, as well as old foes like the red skull. i really like the way brubaker goes back to a lot of the history of comics, and revitalizes their mythos.

loathesome is queer, to be sure, it's focused on a druggy transexual who is in love with a woman.

Cool, so Criminal is under Marvel's creator owned imprint? I'll look it up and find the 'effing thing- always in for a good story! smile.gif My fave has been Strangehaven ( www.millidge.com/ ) for years but then I don't know if it will ever even be finished. I'm still pretty into stuff written by Peter Milligan (Rogan Gosh, etc.) and Grant Morrison (Kill Your Boyfriend, The Invisibles, etc.) also some Alan Moore (From Hell among others). I started reading Flaming Carrot comics, and Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children when I was 15, but tatses have changed since then. smile.gif
Girltrouble- what kind of art do you prefer? Also is the art on equal footing with the story for you or not?

--------------------
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 7 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #6

i'm on a brubaker tear-- criminal is icon actually. it's very good. very tight plotting.

i also finished the death of captain american omnibus, and a couple of the graphic novels wrapping (some) things up. i loved it, and i've never cared much for cap. but the story re-wrote the character of bucky, and brought in old heroes like the invaders and the falcon, as well as old foes like the red skull. i really like the way brubaker goes back to a lot of the history of comics, and revitalizes their mythos.

loathesome is queer, to be sure, it's focused on a druggy transexual who is in love with a woman.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post Jun 7 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jun 6 2009, 11:25 AM) *
i'll have to hunt down maka maka.

if you like queer comics, you might want to check out how loathesome too. it's about sf life. highly recommended.

just finished osamu tezuka's buddha, vol. 7. it usually takes me a while to get into traditional manga art (think astro boy), but i love this. it's a loosely told biography of the life of buddha, complete with humorus anachronisms. it's a fast read and charming.

i am loving brubaker/phillips' criminal series. i just finished vol 1-4: coward, lawless, the dead and the dying, and bad night. tawt crime fiction that just happens to be in comic form. what i love is the brilliantly overlapping stories and complex characters.

I do like queer comics, Prism puts out some good stuff on occasion. I've been bi since a teen so anything girl friendly is good with me, double plus if it has great art and decent storytelling. Maka-Maka is online at mangaworks I think. I'm going to buy the issues but until then it is nice to check out. Criminal sounds perfect- is it Marvel? Or one of their imprints? Buddha sounds interesting, so many unexplored comics, nice to be introduced to so many new ones.

--------------------
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 6 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #8

i'll have to hunt down maka maka.

if you like queer comics, you might want to check out how loathesome too. it's about sf life. highly recommended.

just finished osamu tezuka's buddha, vol. 7. it usually takes me a while to get into traditional manga art (think astro boy), but i love this. it's a loosely told biography of the life of buddha, complete with humorus anachronisms. it's a fast read and charming.

i am loving brubaker/phillips' criminal series. i just finished vol 1-4: coward, lawless, the dead and the dying, and bad night. tawt crime fiction that just happens to be in comic form. what i love is the brilliantly overlapping stories and complex characters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post Jun 6 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #9

BUSTie

Funhouse sounds interesting it's on my read list now.
Anoth Auto-bio that is really good is The Diary of a Teenage Girl: An Account in Words and Pictures by Phoebe Gloeckner. Very disturbing subject matter in both or her books could be triggering for someone who had abused and was not prepared for it, still good reads.

I've just found Maka Maka by Torajirō Kishi a yuri manga that has some of the most beautiful artwork I've seen in manga. Primarily about sex and relationships what I like is the emotion the girls display, smiling, happy, non tragic. If female-to-female sex disturbs you then avoid, otherwise it is refreshingly sweet and light. smile.gif

--------------------
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post May 28 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #10

sure, gl. the library here seems to buy tons of manga, which is awesome, because i really can't justify buying them.

have you checked out funhouse? it's by alison what's her face who did dykes to watch out for. it's great.

just had to make this addendum: scratch what i said about blank slate. SUCKS. seriously. the first volume starts off good, but before you are even half way thru the first part, and the artist starts apologizing in a sidebar. from there it's obvious that he couldn't decided what to do, and by volume two the thing is over. ugh. what a waste of time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 28 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the reviews GT I'm always looking for something juicy to dig into. You and me seem to have different tastes in comics and I can't quite put my finger on where the difference is.

There was a comic art festival in my city recently and I picked up some gems. One is called Milk Teeth a slim single issue about unicorns into beastiality, carnivorous angels, and hunted mermaids. It's by Kate Allen.

I bought a print version of the online DAR - I really love this autobiographical comic. It's light, the writer has a sense of the absurd, doesn't take herself too seriously so it's laugh out loud funny sometimes.

I picked up The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For at the library - I forgot how much I liked these stories.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post May 27 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #12

just finshed the manga, king of thorns. i liked it a lot. only 6 volumes, so it doesn't go on forever (naruto-- i'm looking at you! although i'm glad you do.) it's a sci-fi post apocalypse mystery with some nice twists. i love the art although some of the beasts made me snicker. but i love the art. it looks like a comic made by someone you know. it's charming.

caught up with d.gray man, i love it. i just wish he'd stop killing of all the people i like. :/ sucks having to wait 3 months for the next volume. *sigh*

on the fence about blank slate. great premise (amnesiac assasin, who ends up falling in with the right people), but i dunno, something seems like it's not working. perhaps a few more volumes in....

wading thru the captain america omnibus-- it's the telephone book sized tome of all the brubaker written issues where cap gets capped. i usually like his stories, and this one is a pretty fast read, although i read his xmen: xtremists and HATED it. throwing myself out of a window would have been more enjoyable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post May 27 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooh yes! I did find some of the lines funny, but I still wanted to slap them quite frequently.

Yay, one of my favourite webcomics has come back from hiatus! Kukuburi has lush art and is just so tasty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
missladyj
post May 23 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

I liked ghost world. there was a line in there that stuck with me. something about how awful would it be to be a teacher with big boobs or something to that effect which made me laugh because it was a good description of me.

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post May 22 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #15

BUSTie

QUOTE(girl_logic @ May 22 2009, 06:42 AM) *
Hmm Crossing Midnight looks like a good one too. I've only read a few issues of L&R.

"Do you have any favorite companies/artists/writers?"

It's like this, so many good ones, so little time, you know?

Yes, I do know. smile.gif *waves*
Ladies, any thoughts on From Hell by Alan Moore or other graphic novels?

--------------------
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post May 22 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #16

BUSTie

QUOTE(Persiflager @ May 22 2009, 08:56 AM) *
*latecomer to the comics party*

I've just read Ghost World and it left me completely cold. All I could think about was the phrase 'hipster douchebaby' (from the CBC thread). What did everyone else think about it?

Always room for more women in the comic party! biggrin.gif I was bored senseless by Ghost World- but read it oodles of years ago- seemed to try to hard for cooler than thou- and I never really gave a rats ass about cool.
Have a lovely weekend ladies!

--------------------
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post May 22 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

*latecomer to the comics party*

I've just read Ghost World and it left me completely cold. All I could think about was the phrase 'hipster douchebaby' (from the CBC thread). What did everyone else think about it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 22 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Hmm Crossing Midnight looks like a good one too. I've only read a few issues of L&R.

"Do you have any favorite companies/artists/writers?"

It's like this, so many good ones, so little time, you know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post May 22 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #19

BUSTie

QUOTE(girl_logic @ May 21 2009, 06:53 PM) *
Yay, another comictrix! Strangehaven sounds like my kind of story. I love that weirdness-in-small-town story device. Have you ever read Bill Willingham's Coventry? It's about a town with demonic goings on, the tone is a bit lighter though, and unfortunately he stopped at issue 3 (lost his groove?).

Love Comictrix sounds like a band smile.gif. Have not seen Coventry but will have to find it was it D.C.? :EDIT: ooh Fanagraphics- did you ever read Love & Rockets? What do you think of Crossing Midnight?

Do you have any favorite companies/artists/writers? Smiles! smile.gif

--------------------
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 21 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(MsKissyStarfish @ May 20 2009, 01:54 PM) *
Madame Xanadu is a beautifully drawn comic! biggrin.gif The story leaves a bit to be desired, but I say give it a shot for one issue and see if it is your cup of tea. Amy Reeder Hadley is the artist and her work has elegant figures, is emotionally engaging, is decent with action, has a fun edge, and is also pretty to look at.

Bite Club was fun and David Hahn is a good artist. smile.gif

My favorite comic that comes out almost never *sigh* is Strangehaven by Gary Spencer Millidge. Sort of a secret society, Prisoner, and Twin Peaks mash up that works.

Always nice to see other ladies who like comics. smile.gif Cheers!

Yay, another comictrix! Strangehaven sounds like my kind of story. I love that weirdness-in-small-town story device. Have you ever read Bill Willingham's Coventry? It's about a town with demonic goings on, the tone is a bit lighter though, and unfortunately he stopped at issue 3 (lost his groove?).

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 22, 2014 - 10:53 AM