Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Perilous Position of Choice- news & updates
koffeewitch
post Apr 23 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

Brace yourselves: here comes Oklahoma with the nuttiest shit on record.
http://susiemadrak.com/?p=1883

(I know, I'm too lazy to make my links all pretty and proper like the rest of youse. I suck.)

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 16 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #42

Big Fat Bitch

Now Nebraska is limiting abortions at the twenty week point because some doctors claim that the unborn can feel pain.

Kansas, however, is actually doing something right for a change.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
anarch
post Mar 22 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

From metafilter, some projected long-term implications for abortion rights of the just-passed Health Care Reform bill.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 18 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #44

Big Fat Bitch

Thank goodness somebody in Utah has some damned sense.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Mar 17 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

but the article itself provides a few good reasons why stopping abortions wouldn't come close to solving the problem. The very beginning tells it all - in societies where boys are preferred, female babies are often left to die. Gender discrimination or not, the abortion of a ball of cells is infintely preferrable to the murder of a breathing baby.

And then look at south korea, where things are starting to reverse. The skewing of gender ratios does causes problems, and it really confuses things in societies where men are preffered because of the way money is inherited. Supply and demand dictates that over time, too many men will cause a reduction in the demand for men. And it seems to be happening that way. Women are rare enough to be in high demand once they are older, which means female babies should start to be seen as more valuable by their parents. The discrimination against women based on these systems has been around for so long, something's got to change. Maybe the problems with too many men will force people to start seeing gender differently in these societies!

+Quote Post
xexyz
post Mar 16 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #46

BUSTie

100 million missing girls

I've always been pro-choice. It's probably one of the only beliefs I have that I've always been absolutely adamant about; there's absolutely no argument any "pro-lifer" could throw at me that would make me even consider changing my beliefs for an instant. I never thought there was any argument that could make me believe outlawing the right to an abortion was good in any circumstance, at least until I read this article.

Obviously, the long term true solution is to improve the status and rights of women so that the people in these countries stop aborting girls of their own volition, but until that happens would women actually be better served if abortion was prohibited in some fashion in places where this is an issue? I mean it probably isn't, since the legal status of abortion has probably in reality done very little to curb the practice, but I admit the subject matter of the article is so horrible it actually made me consider the idea.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Mar 6 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

Did you check out the poll on the side of the page? right now 55% of the people who voted think that those posters are legit! these must be the same morons who think comparing Obama to hitler because of health care reform is somehow accurate. first step, abortion or universal health care, next step, death camps! it makes complete sense, really.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 5 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #48

Big Fat Bitch

I wonder how long it will be before US pro-lifers latch onto this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
funnybird
post Mar 1 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

Do these idiots know that 1 in 3 pregnancies end in miscarriage? I hope they have plenty of resources if they are going to investigate every single one to check if it was caused by 'reckless behaviour' on the part of the woman. I feel sick after reading this.

--------------------
What I'm thinking is delicate. If I breathe I might lose it...

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Feb 28 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

can you imagine, having an accident, losing your baby and then if everything wasn't bad enough, being brought to court and sent to prison? wow. that's just disgusting.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Feb 28 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #51

(o)(o)

Wow. I don't even know what to say. Like, Wow. My mom and I were reading the article, and we're both at a loss for words.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 27 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #52

Big Fat Bitch

Wacky folks in Utah makin' more reproductive laws! I'm still so agog I can't see straight to type anything intelligent about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
anarch
post Feb 26 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

Angie posted an brief update at feministe, asking for people on twitter to send support to someone else who just started tweeting about her own abortion.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Feb 25 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

awesome link, aural. Thanks.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Feb 25 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

AP, there was a great blog a couple of years ago that a woman kept as she found out she was pregnant and went through the abortion process. She kept it up for a couple of weeks after the abortion and it was just so interesting to see someone write up exactly how they were feeling, what the process was like, etc. She had no shame about it and I think almost all the comments that were left were extremely supportive. I tried to search for it but I think it disappeared into the land of dead blogs.

These are the kind of stories women need to share more.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 24 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #56

Big Fat Bitch

Why I'm getting an abortion. I've been following this & I think it's a really good thing that Angie stepped up to do this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Jan 30 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #57

It's Calamity Jenn

That's how I feel being from Texas.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jan 30 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #58

Big Fat Bitch

Honestly, I think the people of Kansas are just getting tired of this shit. Yes, it is overwhelmingly conservative here. But we are not all doctor murdering pricks nor are we all religious wackos. But that's who gets in the news & are then a part of the collective consciousness of the world. It embarrasses me to be a native Kansan most of the time because of this. Nobody ever asks me about the World's Largest Ball of Twine, but they sure want to know what I think of the Wichita Horror or BTK or Fred Phelps or poor Dr. Tiller & his family.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jan 30 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #59

brown delicious

jsmith, I was relieved with the verdict for Dr. Tiller's family. Not sure it will send a message to other pro-lifers though. Not to sound pessimistic.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Jan 29 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #60

It's Calamity Jenn

Scott Roeder convicted of murder. Only took 37 minutes for the jury to bring the verdict, that's pretty awesome. Let that be a message to other murderous anti-choicers.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 12:09 AM