The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A day to remember......the wedding thread.
pollystyrene
post Sep 13 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #21

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Aw, thanks Sukoyant! How are the other Bustie brides doing?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Sep 12 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Polly you gave me Bustie envy! I'm glad most of it went so beautifully for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
damona
post Jul 19 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #23

can i go to bed now?

*delurking*

polly... wow. congrats. i'm sorry things went a little rough, but it sounds like a pretty good day, all in all.

i can't believe you guys are married! *happy*

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jul 18 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #24

So, my wedding day has come and gone. Overall, it was really good. We had perfect weather (80 degrees, no rain, nice breeze) and there were no major catastrophes.

There was some family drama....about 2 weeks before the wedding, one of my cousins alerted me that the toll-free number for the hotel that I printed on the invitation went to a phone sex hotline. Her mom, my aunt, is someone who likes to stir up drama, and was apparently very upset that she had to listen to a few seconds of nothing worse than you'd hear on those late night commercials. She just got her teaching certificate and has to have a background check done, and was worried they'd look at her phone records. Um, don't think it works that way.

This aunt also doesn't get along with my grandma, and when it was definite that my grandma was going to be at the wedding (she's older, in fragile health and lives in Missouri), suddenly, my aunt needed emergency eye surgery the week of the wedding and the entire family canceled their RSVP. I suspect that there either was no eye surgery or it's no coincidence that it was scheduled that week. I was kind of upset about it, and my dad was furious. He's considering boycotting any events at Christmas with them this year. Maybe he's calmed down now, but that week before the wedding I thought he was going to have an aneurysm about it. None of my other cousins from my mom's side made it, even though they're all high school age of older and even if their parents couldn't come, they're old enough to travel alone (and I don't think finances were the problem.) My dad sent out an email to all of them and their parents saying that he'd make sure they were all fed and looked after, but no one even replied.

I had to go a little bridezilla (the only time I did since we got engaged, I say) before the wedding when we were setting up the barn, because I was trying to leave to go to Mr. Styrene's (hee hee, he's "Mr. Styrene" now!) parent's house to meet the photographer and makeup artist and people kept pulling me back in to ask stupid questions and I was running late and I had to just yell, "I HAVE TO LEAVE, FIGURE IT OUT OR CALL ME IN THE CAR!!" I was late to get there, fortunately my SIL, who was also having her makeup done, didn't waste time and got started on hers. Once I started getting ready, no one would tell me what time it was and every time I asked, they'd just say, "don't worry about it, we're fine". Combine this with the fact that I didn't know I had the laptop with all the music on it with me (we had an iPod DJ, so we created all the playlists ourselves) and the ceremony started about 15 minutes late. Oh well. The DJ managed to wing it through the whole thing beautifully- I don't think anyone knew the difference.

Anyway, the ceremony was really lovely- we had lots of personal touches. Busties abounded- stargazer did a reading for us, humanist and prophecygrrl were maid and matron of honor, respectively. Turbojenn/mann and kittenb and The Geek were there. The reception was awesome- we had BBQ from a local BBQ place that is just amazing, cupcakes from a cupcake bakery. Everyone said it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding.

The only bad things were that not too many people stayed late- we actually ended an hour earlier than planned. I think because the venue was out in bumblefuck, it was a long drive for people. My mom had to leave shortly after dinner because my uncle, who has emphysema and was staying at their house, wasn't feeling well. So she drove him the 25 miles all the way home, then came back because we needed the space in her car to get all the stuff home. So, I have no pictures of me and my mom at the reception- just the posed ones after the ceremony. I know she didn't have much choice, but I'm still kinda sad about it.

Anyway, it was the best feeling, waking up in the hotel the next day, knowing I was married and never have to plan a fricking wedding again!

I'm going to post the pictures on the secret bustie clubhouse, and Divala, I'll PM them to you, since I know you're not in the clubhouse. If anyone else wants to see them, PM me and I'll send you a link!

How are your plans going, divala and aphelendra?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
aphelendra
post Apr 19 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the kind welcome ladies!

Still in very early planning stages, but happy to have a place to lurk abour/ask questions. Luck to all!

+Quote Post
Divala
post Apr 16 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Polly, that headband is gorgeous! I'm jealous of the model's hair in your picture of your hairstyle. Imagine that, actual texture in one's hair! Mine is stick straight and long, but at least it's pretty full, so it doesn't look limp. I'm leaning toward doing a half updo with my hair in loose curls and the front piece held back with a knot of my own hair, then maybe hanging my veil off that, if I even wear a veil.

I am planning to do a run-through of hair/makeup, including tattoo airbrushing, at some point before the wedding. Hopefully on the same day as our engagement photo, if we do one (it'd basically be free with our package, and the photographer is a friend of the giant's). I'd like to have it to send out with our invitations.

Wow, just 6 weeks away. I hope you can find a bartender easily. If I were in the area, I'd do it for you. I'm licensed and everything, though I haven't worked as one in nearly 9 years.

Welcome, Aphelendra!

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Apr 15 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #27

Definitely look into airbrushing. I'm doing airbrushed makeup for my makeup because it just looks smoother (an issue because of my roseacea) and it's supposed to be very rub-resistant, and since I tend to be kinda itchy in general and touch my face a lot, I need something that's going to stick. Are you going to do a trial with them before your wedding to make sure it works?

The planning's going okay- I had my first shower last weekend, hosted by my family. I have the one his family is hosting on Sunday.

Wedding is in 6 weeks, two days. I'm starting to get a little freaked out that not everything will be done in time. My mom still has to do my alterations- it has to be shortened, taken in around the top, have the straps taken off and replaced with cap sleeves and put some tulle in there, instead of having a separate crinoline. Oh, and make the bustle. She did all the pinning a couple weeks ago, but I don't think she's actually done anything with it. She has to finish making her outfit, as well. She did the alterations on prophecy's dress in a day, and no one else needed anything done.

We have to find a couple of bartender's; my caterer isn't really a full-service caterer, they're just a restaurant that caters stuff, and they don't have a bar in the restaurant. Going through one of those bartender services is crazy expensive, especially since we're just having beer and wine, no mixed drinks. We're doing a walk-through with the caterer and the event coordinator at our venue on Saturday and I'm going to see if the caterer happens to just know someone before I just start looking for random college students with a bartending license that I can pay $75 for the night.

We also have to pick out a place to get cupcakes from. We're going to do tastings at a couple of places next week.

I got my jewelry yesterday! This necklace and these earrings. I'll probably get this headband, along with these hair pins (and maybe these, too). I'm going to be very bejeweled- waaaay more than I do on a daily basis. This will be the hairstyle I'm going for.

ETA: Hey, aphelendra! Welcome to Bust and I see you're in Chicago! We Chicago Busties get together pretty regularly- you should join us sometime. We mostly talk about the get-togethers on Facebook, for privacy reasons. PM me here on Bust if you're on Facebook and I'll clue you in! Congrats on the wedding and baby!

--------------------

+Quote Post
aphelendra
post Apr 15 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

hello all!

I've been lurking around these parts for a while, and wanted to say hey. I'm also planning a wedding, but haven't nailed down a date yet. We're expecting a baby girl in july,(cart before horse, yeah yeah) and I want to give myself some time to be with her (and lose some baby flab) before I have to worry about all this wedding stuff.

So far, I've only really checked out dresses and venues (the two fun things, har har). Thanks for the awesome dress site, humanist. For some reason I hadn't even thought to look on etsy, and now I've found all sorts of awesome trinkets and things. I also wanted to suggest, for ladies who is still lookin for dresses, of all things, the J. Crew website. They have some reasonably priced dresses in nice fabrics, sans sequins and fake pearls and layers and layers of tulle, and all that tacky tacky stuff you usually find on a cheap dress.

Happy planning. . . .

+Quote Post
Divala
post Apr 15 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Tree, that's a really good point. I actually had thought of that and figured that there's got to be some kind of makeup sealer that exists somewhere in the world where drag queens exist. Seriously, they tromp around in the sun at Pride festivals every year and their makeup doesn't melt off. There's gotta be something to that. I'm also planning on wearing my hair down, or at least only partially up, so there'll be hair to cover it up, at least partially.

The funny thing is that I'm one of those people that doesn't like to be touched, so I'm hoping to keep hugs to a minimum.

Humanist, those are beautiful dresses. I've started to look at a few, but won't try anything on for probably 6 months when I've lost a couple dress sizes.

The giant and I went to a wedding fair a few weeks ago and I got a brochure from a cosmetology school. The rep said they'd be able to airbrush my back, so I'll probably go with them. Also, with it being a school, it should be cheaper than a professional place, and there should be instructors there to make sure the student gets it right.

Polly, how's the planning going?

And didn't Sassygrrl just get married? How did it go?

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Apr 14 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #30

cryostat bitch

Divala, this is late, but make sure the makeup will stay in place with all the hugs you are most likely going to receive, too. Just a thought...I went through a family reunion right after I got my back tattoo and I regretted it because it was constantly getting touched/hugged.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Apr 13 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #31

belligerently lazy

I found this Etsy site with beautiful custom made dresses. Very affordable, relatively. It was featured on the front page. I like the diversity in the models.

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Mar 17 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #32

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

The last thing I want to do on my wedding day is hear about how I've defiled my body from my 91-year-old grandpa.

Okay, I see your point. cool.gif

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
Divala
post Mar 8 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

I want to cover it up because my tattoo is not for the consumption of others. The reason I put it there is because that's a chunk of skin that's rarely seen and doesn't stretch much over time, as well as no contours to work around, but I mainly put it there so I could keep it hidden. I don't want to deal with a slew of comments on this choice of mine, so it's best left out of sight - out of mind. The last thing I want to do on my wedding day is hear about how I've defiled my body from my 91-year-old grandpa.

Thanks for the advice, AP. I'm thinking of getting my regular makeup professionally done anyway, so I may just see about booking more time with the pro to get this done right. I'm just glad I had no intention of having an early-in-the-day wedding so I'll have time to take care of stuff like this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Mar 5 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #34

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

This might be a naive question but why do you want the back tats covered? I think tattoed brides are pretty cool.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 5 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #35

Big Fat Bitch

Divala, Tattoocamo, Covermark & Demablend are hands down the best products for covering ink. And if it is your whole back, you're going to want to hire a professional makeup artist to do it & to set aside a goodly amount of pre-wedding time for it. It takes a LOT of shading & blending to do it correctly for "full but natural coverage". YOU WANT A MAKEUP ARTIST, TRUST ME. If you don't get one you might as well find a dress with coverage or just live with your exposed ink.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
Divala
post Mar 3 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

I'd probably register for a good set of silverware, since all of ours is pretty cheap. Your dishes are beautiful. I figure we'll probably get my grandparents' good china, because my mom and aunt suggested it since my grandpa doesn't have any use for it anymore. Other than that, all we really need is furniture, and we don't exactly want other people picking it out for us. What we really want is cash.

Does anyone here have any experience with covering up tattoos? I've got my whole back inked and I definitely want to cover it up for the wedding and I assume that whatever dress I'm going to get won't have a full back. The last thing I want is for a bunch of attention paid to what's on my back when the day is supposed to be about the giant and me getting married. Does anyone know of a good product/s for this and a good technique for full but natural coverage?

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Feb 21 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #37

Actually, divala, it's a picture I took of the crabapple tree outside our condo. I PM'ed you a link of it (which you've probably gotten by now.)

Yeah, funny how you find things to fill a registry with even after you've lived together. There's stuff I've held off on buying (a KitchenAid mixer, nice dishes) and stuff that needs to upgraded (I've been using my 25-year-old childhood set of towels). We didn't register for traditional china; we got this style. We love it. It's purple-y and blue-y and interesting. There's already been two place settings bought! Woohoo! At least LeBoy and I will be able to eat off nice dishes wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Divala
post Feb 19 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi, Polly!

Yeah, we're going to have 3 bridesmaids (my BFF in CA is the maid of honor, PinkPoodle, and probably the giant's oldest neice who'll be 12 or 13 by then, though I'm not for sure on her yet), and 3 groomsmen (the giant's brother, cousin, and my gay boyfriend), my brothers will be ushers, the giant's other neices who're old enough will be flower girls, and my nephew will be the ring bearer.

For the bridesmaid dresses, I'm going to just send them each a swatch of fabric in the purple and green I'm choosing and tell them to find themselves something they feel comfortable with. I'm not concerned about being really matchy-matchy, and the 3 of them have such different bodies that someone would be dressed inappropriately if I made them all wear the same dress. I'm going to make them matching jewelry to go with the dresses to keep as gifts, probably a tiered necklace with Swarovski crystals and matching earrings/bracelets, and bouquets will be multicolored pastel tulips. Those I can whip up pretty quickly and cheaply (jewelry and flowers). I want the groomsmen and my nephew in black suits with purple ties/cumerbunds.

I'm going to make the jewelry and favors (my famous truffles) myself, since they're both things I already do quickly and well, and the flowers and centerpieces will be simple, so I may do those myself, too, excluding corsages/boutineers, which I don't know how to do with tulips since their stems are hollow.

Polly, your invitations sound really sweet. You're printing the info on a picture of you and LeBoy, right? I've been reading about your invitation drama. We're probably going to end up doing like you and LeBoy for your anniversary, see how much cash we get in gifts and then decide from there. We've been living together for more than 4 years and just bought a house together, so we don't really need anything. I'm reluctant to even register anywhere for if anyone throws me a shower, but I suppose we should.

Sassy, congrats on getting so close to your goal weight! I'm working on it, too, and I have a looong way to go. I'm going to try to lose 5-6 pounds a month until our date, and I'm not even going to start looking at wedding dresses for 7 months. So far I'm on pound #3. I hope all the drama with your families figures itself out and you can have a drama-free wedding. Money can cause so many problems.

I just wish we could get to planning and making our ceremony and reception site reservations, but it's all useless until the giant's brother gets his service date. Feh. I hate not being able to control everything. Hopefully the war will be over by then and it'll be a moot issue, but I doubt it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Feb 18 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #39

Congrats, Diva!

We have the same colors- muted lavender ("Victorian Lilac" is what some places call it), light green and ivory!

Are you having bridesmaids? If so, are you letting them pick dresses, or are you picking something for them?

We are at the 100 day mark (or just under depending what counter you look at)! Woohoo! I'm finalizing the design on the invitations; you may remember (and can read down thread about it) the drama about the invitations...we're just doing our plan and printing them the way we wanted. Won't LeMom be surprised when she gets hers in the mail? tongue.gif

We picked out clothes for the groomsmen- pants (dress khakis), button-down shirt, ties and suspenders. LeBoy bought a suit, in light brown.

We have to do a walk-through of our venue with our caterer at the end of March/early April. And we have to start tasting cupcakes!

So yeah, things are coming together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Divala
post Feb 18 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi, everyone!

I rarely ever post here, but I've been lurking for more than a year. DivaGiant and I got engaged a couple weeks ago, and we're planning our wedding for late March/early April 2011. We can't settle on a date until the giant's brother gets his date to serve in Afghanistan, which is supposed to be sometime that April. Since it's not during prime wedding season, we figure we'll have an easier time finding the locations we want and at a cheaper rate.

Our colors are going to be light green and purple (just a bit darker than lavendar so it's more purple than pink), and we're either getting a JP to do the ceremony or having my BFF's husband get ordained in an internet church so he can do the honors, and I'm walking down the aisle to a rock song, no "Here Comes The Bride" for me. I'm an atheist and the giant is pretty close to it, so we figure we have no reason to make believe so we can get married in a church. I guess this means we're going to make it up as we go along.

The links you guys have posted to Offbeat Bride and MILDEW have been great - I actually bought the Offbeat Bride book and am currently reading through it, along with a heap of books about how to be more green and get bargains/cut costs, since we're paying for everything but the reception hall rental and catering (excluding cake - that we'll pay for along with decorations and music).

There's so much to plan, my head's spinning. I don't trust my mom or the giant's mom to get much of anything right, so I plan to do it all myself, though I may possibly hire a day-of coordinator so I might be able to actually have a little bit of fun at his shindig.

--------------------

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23, 2014 - 12:08 AM