Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hot for teacher part III
hellcat
post Feb 18 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

I just got my first subbing position! It will be mornings for at least 2 weeks. I should be thrilled but I am stupid nervous. I'm used to div II kids, I'm comfy with gr. 4s and the such. I got called in for a pre-K class. I will be in charge of 16 four year olds. I need to learn silly fun songs asap! Internet here I come!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Feb 18 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Sandee,
I am confused? how do you teach in school suspension?

+Quote Post
sexysandee
post Feb 18 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

I am not teaching In School Suspension... they say it's because I have a way with troubled children ohmy.gif

--------------------

"This could be the very minute
I'm aware I'm alive
All these places feel like home"

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Feb 1 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(thirtiesgirl @ Feb 1 2009, 12:12 PM) *
I'd say try Los Angeles to the teachers in Ohio...except that LAUSD is currently facing major budget cuts and the whole California State education system is losing money. I may not be able to keep my counseling job. Have you maybe considered trying private, rather than public schools? You might not get paid as much, but at least you'd be paid, and you'd only keep the job for a year or so, until you're able to find a better public school job.

Well I did try San Diego because I actually have some contacts in the district but yeah those budget cuts are killer.

I have looked into private schools, but the ones I have found want you to have a least two years teaching experience. Nice catch-22, huh? I suppose they want someone with a proven track record and all or someone who isn't just a 22 year old kid - (I don't mean this with any disrespect) that they have to mold into a more a professional. I have 10 years of corporate experience in training and development but that doesn't seem to count for anything. I think the schools are being choosy now because they can; the market is overrun with teachers.

Sandee I did apply to several districts in Austin TX but it seems unless you went to a Texas university or are from Texas they don't want you. I was flat out told by Round Rock that they don't hire from out of state - they weren't interested in someone with an Ohio degree. Funny thing is I checked the RR district website in October and they still had vacant teaching positions like 75+ - wtf?

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 1 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

I'd say try Los Angeles to the teachers in Ohio...except that LAUSD is currently facing major budget cuts and the whole California State education system is losing money. I may not be able to keep my counseling job. Have you maybe considered trying private, rather than public schools? You might not get paid as much, but at least you'd be paid, and you'd only keep the job for a year or so, until you're able to find a better public school job.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
hellcat
post Jan 30 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #6

BUSTie

I am getting so frustrated waiting for my province to send out my certification! I'd like to start subbing asap so I can get in the "system". I'm also thinking of applying for a teacher assistant position (only because I don't have a lot of experience) in Germany. It would be an enlish immersion program (phorms.de)...decisions decisons.
Any Busties teach overseas?

I'll wish for y'all needing it at 11:11 for employment luck!

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jan 25 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #7

the moistiest

sandee's back! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sexysandee
post Jan 24 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh my goodness ladies... I thought I had it bad, but I should be appreciative of the fact that I am living and working in Texas.

I hope things get better real soon for all of you

--------------------

I'm aware I'm alive

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Jan 24 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Octobersky.
that sucks!!!! I can't imagine how frustrated you must be! I am in Illinois and haven't encountered stories like that. I do know that school districts look to hire people with just a bachelors degree because they can pay them less. At my school they are not hiring any new teachers.

My first thought for you is to check out Indiana or even Chicago Public Schools. Good luck!!

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Jan 24 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

No your sister isn't crazy, Ohio is really bad that way. I've been told that if you have science and math that you are more viable, but since your sister is science then that blows that theory. Ohio totally screwed their teachers over with the licensing. I'm a bit bitter and angry about it, can you tell?

It's so bad for teachers where I live - I've been on the sub list since September and have only worked a handful of days. I just took a dead-end call center job to help ends meet until something in the teaching field opens up. I hate it because I really do enjoy teaching and interacting with students. Though there are some days I'd like to hand some students out to dry but the highs are way better than the lows dry.gif I miss being in the classroom.

I'm at a loss as how to become gainfully employed as a teacher...

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jan 22 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #11

the moistiest

It seems that unless you know someone well in whatever Ohio district you are applying to, you're screwed as well. Nepotism reigns supreme here in the Buckeye state!!

that's exactly one of the other big things she's told me. you and my sis are actually in a similar boat, b/c she has two bachelors too, adding to her problems. i talked to her last night, and said i was "reading on a discussion board" about similar "ohio education woes", and she's like, "finally! i'm not crazy!"

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Jan 22 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Crazy - I know Ohio really fucked over their teachers. I've been running into the same thing - I've seen districts post positions asking for K-12 or 1-12 completely screwing us who have our K-3 or 4-9. It seems that unless you know someone well in whatever Ohio district you are applying to, you're screwed as well. Nepotism reigns supreme here in the Buckeye state!!

I can move out of state, but even other states don't seem to want us Ohio teachers. I'm a bit overqualified as I have two BA's so the schools would have to pay me as a "bachelors +" scale. It sucks donkey balls. Oh yeah I have a MOUNTAIN of student loans as well. I totally feel for your sister ((hugs)) to her. I applied to several districts in Virginia and got nowhere as well sad.gif don't know who they are throwing money at.

The kicker is I graduated with a high GPA, scored well above average on my Praxis tests, have fairly extensive subbing experience and five excellent letters of recommendation <----- this wasn't put here to brag, just that these are what I would consider good points about my professional experience. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong here!!

Maybe your sister and I should get together and comiserate...... wink.gif

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jan 21 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #13

the moistiest

octobersky, my sister is an unemployed middle-childhood teacher (same grades, but in science) in OH too, and she's getting royally fucked. Basically because of the brief and random change in licensure requirements when she was training (i.e., early vs. middle childhood etc; now they want k-12), the retire-rehire bs, and the fact that's she's in the process of getting her masters AS PER LAW and yet still "overqualified", she's about to throw in the towel. She can't move out of state, and I really feel for her, and how frustrated she is. She's got student loans to boot.

I know Virginia is throwing money at teachers, and Maine/New England has positions readily available.

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Jan 21 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey all, I have my teaching degree grades 4-9 in language arts and social studies and I'm on my second year of being unemployed as a teacher.

Here's what I'm asking - do any of you all know where I could apply for teaching positions? I have applied all over Ohio (where I live) Louisville KY, Austin TX, San Diego CA and Seattle WA last year and got nowhere. Any other ideas of where I could apply? I have no interest in the Carolina's, Florida or the Vegas areas. I'm at a loss, secondly if I go another year without a teaching position I lose my Ohio license and have to go back for more schooling, I'm getting desparate at this point....

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Jan 19 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Hellcat,
good luck. I think it is awesome that you teach language so early.

I finished my media literacy degree last spring and have been doing alot of staff development since then which has been great. We are so behind the 8-ball in media literacy compared to Canada and Britian. I use alot of resources from Canada's media awareness network.

+Quote Post
hellcat
post Jan 18 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #16

BUSTie

I can't wait to vent here when I get a job. Fingers crossed! I just finished my last stint of student teaching, had an interview with the local school board, and now I wait. I forked over $200 for my provincial teaching certificate and am now waiting for them to do whatever it is that they do to say I am certified.

The school I did my final student teaching at wants to have me back to cover a 2-6week sick leave. I'm pumped to take the job but it would also mean I would be teaching in a Christian program (within public school). I am not a Christian and I don't know how much this matters. Already with the ethical problems ! The assistant principal knows I'm coming from a non-Christian background so I feel like I've done my part. Oh, I don't know! I NEED the job.

I did my degree in elementary ed and so far think I'd like to teach grade 4. If I had it my way I would teach homeroom 1/2 day and 1/2 day teach French to the 4-6s. This school board has a mandatory second language initiative going. All students must take a second lang. starting in grade 4 and being in Canada French is a popular one!

Missladyj- I love your long term goal re: media literacy. If only I knew that my high school teachers could have been as cool as all you BUSTies!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Jan 16 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

I am happy to see this thread has been resurrected. It's why I joined the lounge in the first place!

I won't be going to the conference aquagirl, I am a science teacher. I am getting ready to figure out how many hours I need to get a new certification to teach Health.

Oh and for the past two days I haven't had to go to work because it has be TOO FUCKING COLD!! it has been a nice break.

+Quote Post
aquagirl3
post Jan 15 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi,
Anyone going to the National Science Teacher's Association Convention in New Orleans, Mar. 19-22? I'm looking to share a hotel room. Email me! meganthaler AT gmail DOT com.

+Quote Post
sexysandee
post Feb 14 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(octobersky @ Feb 12 2008, 11:07 AM) *
Snow Day!! Snow Day!!! yay!!!! biggrin.gif

This makes me really happy 'cause the kids yesterday were INSANE. A couple of my girls (and these are college prep seniors) were so unbelievably whiney!!! I could have strangeled them. And another one of my girls got snippy and pissy with me and stormed out of the room, I was going to have to talk to her about it today, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

At least I have today to get caught up on all my grading and paperwork.

Lucky, I have never even seen snow mad.gif

--------------------

I'm aware I'm alive

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Feb 12 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Snow Day!! Snow Day!!! yay!!!! biggrin.gif

This makes me really happy 'cause the kids yesterday were INSANE. A couple of my girls (and these are college prep seniors) were so unbelievably whiney!!! I could have strangeled them. And another one of my girls got snippy and pissy with me and stormed out of the room, I was going to have to talk to her about it today, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

At least I have today to get caught up on all my grading and paperwork.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 20, 2014 - 08:05 PM