The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
ketto
post Feb 21 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #61

Hardcore BUSTie

The past week was another busy one because a friend was in from out of town so I was busy every night from Sunday, plus I was sick last week. I'm planning to go for a run later today. I'm having a really nice, lazy day just hanging out vegging with my partner but he has friends coming over later to watch a hockey game. I have no interest in that so I figured I would go for a run and maybe a skate.

I tried to schedule running into my days in my day planner this week. That might sound silly but when I have something to check off I can get motivated to do it. We'll see how that goes. I won a free 10 class pass to hot yoga and I have a job interview on Friday so I'm going to try and go Friday morning and see if I can keep that up for 10 weeks. I have a lot of knotty issues in my shoulders and neck so I'm hoping it will help with my flexibility and strength.

To good intentions, eh? tongue.gif

--------------------
Meow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Feb 20 2010, 05:02 PM
Post #62

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm right with you Ketto and Angie! My main problem is that there is just no time in my day to exercise- and I know everyone says that but seriously I'm up at 5 for school ( can't get up much earlier than that) and as soon as I get home (which is at 9 pm on some nights cause I have a long commute) I start doing the crazy amount of school work I have to do. If I start exercising and I'm not doing work, I do the exact same thing Angie- the entire time I'm exercising I just worry about all the work I should be doing at that time. I realized that I've been lucky if I've been able to get a run in once a week. My love handles and tummy are coming right back after all the hard work I did over xmas break to get rid of them. I decided last week that maybe I was setting aside too much time for exercise- 45 min- an hour, and that maybe if I cut it down to 30 min that it would be more manageable. I know 30 min a day isn't much, but I figured it's better than the nothing I've been doing. I started trying to do that last week and still managed to only get 2 days of running in, and the whole time I'm doing it once again I'm stressed. It's so hard to cut aside exercise time for yourself. Any and all suggestions are welcome! I don't want to have another bikini melt-down come May like I did last year when I realized how bad all of my inactivity had truly been to my body.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Feb 20 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #63

Hardcore BUSTie

did a 10 minute workout today and a meditation that helped to clear my brain. I know it's not much, but it's something I can do without starting to panic about not getting work done. Last week two more items got added to my plate for work/school and it's starting to wear me down, I've been falling asleep at 9:30 every night! 6 weeks to go...

spot-on, I am going to definitely remind myself to drink some water and chew gum when I get stressed. mint gum somehow makes me not want to eat so that's a great idea. At work I have a stash of chai tea that I sweeten with stevia and drink every morning and it really helps, but it's frustrating to go for coffee and walk by all the places selling biscuits and muffins. half of the time I give in and buy one. the other dumb thing I do is crave stimulants when I'm already stressed. coffee, chocolate, tea, etc. I actually get an aversion to things like chamomile because I don't want to drain what energy I have! I think I will try to make myself do 5 minutes meditation every morning and every evening, maybe go for a short walk after dinner now that it's light out. and actually use that bottle of multivitamins that sits in my cupboard. how is it that the easiest things are so annoying to remember to do?

+Quote Post
ketto
post Feb 18 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #64

Hardcore BUSTie

I backslid a bit in the last month. I'm taking a training course two evenings a week and it's hard to give myself enough time to get workouts in. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed so I haven't been doing much for the last month. I finally kicked myself in the ass and went for my first run in weeks yesterday. It felt really good but I'm sore today. I was worried my stamina would really suffer, and it did a bit, but not as badly as I thought. I'm hoping to get in some good skating over the next week because the river trail will probably be closed soon.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 16 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #65

uh huh.

QUOTE(spot-on @ Feb 16 2010, 04:13 PM) *
Pilates is great but remember we women do need to do resistance work so try and incorporate some weights into your weekly workout.

The best thing for any part of your body is to change things up, otherwise our muscles get used to the exercises. So keep changing this up!

Actually, I goofed on the name, It's SPX - or people refer to it as "Pilates Plus." it's is something that this trainer in CA developed, it's a combination of pilates, cardio and resistance training. It's done using a special reformer that was built for it, and there are moves with dumbells, using your body as a weight, and just plain old stuff like pushups and every kind of crunch you can think of. I'm fucking dripping about 30 minutes into the class. Four 55 minute classes, and I am already starting to see the definition coming back into my arms. I've been changing the instructors up, though, because they all have their own focus, which automatically switches things up.

Check it out. it's brutal and awesome.

http://www.spxfitness.com

Plus I'm alternating with running. I still need to build up my stamina on running, I finally got past the 20 min mark today and pushed through to 25 mins. I can't wait until I can run 30 min comfortably again.

but yeah, I definitely need to eat more. I think that if more people realized you sometimes need to eat MORE (but of the right foods) to help make your exercising effective, it would be a good thing!

ETA - I think that for me, it gets extra frustrating, because I used to do stuff at a really high level - I used to be a snowboard instructor and snowboard backcountry all the time, run 5 mi or more every day, spin classes, etc etc. It's just since I hurt myself a couple years ago, but kept up the heavy eating / drinking that I could do when I was at a high activity level that I've gotten way off. I get pretty hard on myself because I didn't even used to have to think about this stuff!! But at least I am re-kindling my love of feeling my muscles hurt!!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Feb 16 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #66

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi angie

Yep simple carbs and high processed foods can definitely cause bloating, as can some medical conditions like IBS, cluten intolerance etc. Anyone with a 6-pack will tell you that simple carbs are basically not on their diet, and even complex (non-vegetable) carbs are limited. I just can't go that far, I love pasta too much smile.gif I opt for organic whole wheat though smile.gif
Processed foods basically make us store weight because of the salt, making sure we're hydrated is key and avoiding all the processed crap smile.gif

Stress buster - for me it's chamomile tea but it varies person to person.

Stress eating - always drink a glass of water first. I say this because most the time we're dehydrated not hungry so try that first. Other than that I'd try healthy snacks, air popped popcorn, or gum. Many times when we stress eat we need something in our mouth or something to do with our hands.

exercises - Often when I am flagging I find the best thing is to wash my face. Sounds stupid but that just wakes me up! Maybe try that first? Other than that for exercises I'd go with squats/lunges. I say these because they work major muscles and therefor get the blood pumping more and hopefully give you a boost. Different things work for different people though. For me when I need an energy boost I'll do jumping jacks/squat intervals. Maybe look into energy drinks or protein shakes too? Could be you are missing some nutrients, that can happen when you are on your feet for an extended shift?

smile.gif

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Feb 13 2010, 06:59 AM) *
spot-on, I definitely know you can't spot-reduce fat, anywhere, but I do find that what I eat strongly affects how bloated I get, and therefore affects the size of my gut. I remember when I was a teenager, my mom always cooked extremely bland but extremely healthy meals, and my friends would talk about being bloated after eating and I didn't even know what they meant. Now that I cook for myself and end up eating a lot more processed foods, I know what it means all too well. Cooking only whole, fresh foods and avoiding high salt/sugar foods, artificial sweetners, and beer/pop is the quickest way ever to reduce your belly because you don't actually have to lose fat to do it, you're just losing water bloat and it only takes a day wink.gif also, drinking lots of water really works too!

Ha. Despite all my good ideas, I've been working about 20 hours overtime every week for the last 6 weeks and therefore stopped working out, started stress eating, and gained weight. I have another 7 weeks before my schedule goes back to normal and I know it'll take at least a month for my body to recover. Does anyone have advice for super-short, high intensity workouts that can still be done right when you are close to falling asleep on your feet? Or best foods to eat to help calm down stress (other than the cheese and chocolate I have been relying on so far, lol)

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Feb 16 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #67

Hardcore BUSTie

Yep eating more is often as much of a problem as eating less. I totally get that. With my active schedule sometimes eating enough at the right times is a nightmare so I totally get it! People are often completely dumbfounded at the amount of food I eat smile.gif

Pilates is great but remember we women do need to do resistance work so try and incorporate some weights into your weekly workout.

The best thing for any part of your body is to change things up, otherwise our muscles get used to the exercises. So keep changing this up!

QUOTE(zoya @ Feb 12 2010, 10:39 PM) *
thanks spot-on.. yeah, I know about the not being able to spot reduce fat- I guess I just meant more intense ab exercises, because I didn't really feel like I was doing enough to strengthen those muscles at the same time I'm reducing fat.

I actually have gone off the P90X but I have started doing Power Pilates, since I discovered there is a studio within walking distance of my house. OH. MY. GOD. Even when I'm out of shape, I am fairly fit, and I quite literally had trouble getting out of bed the day after my first class. The concept of working one's muscles to failure definitely applies to these classes. I'm way into it. I love feeling like I actually did something with my body. I've done a class every other day this week - so 3 classes, and run on the off days. 3 classes, and I am already seeing more definition in my arms. WOW. I really want to keep up with doing the Power Pilates. I will be in shape in no time if I keep up with it.

my problem is that I actually need to eat MORE. I don't drink soda (and haven't for about 10 years) and I barely drink juice - just water. (OK, well I do have a proclivity for red wine. And vodka.) and I do eat healthy. I only very rarely eat fried foods, don't eat meat (only fish), cook fresh food, etc. etc. I don't starve myself - on the contrary. When I eat, I EAT. And I tend to eat a few small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones. It's just get busy and forget to eat at least a couple of meals - probably most days. Especially breakfast. I'm trying to get better about that.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Feb 13 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #68

Hardcore BUSTie

spot-on, I definitely know you can't spot-reduce fat, anywhere, but I do find that what I eat strongly affects how bloated I get, and therefore affects the size of my gut. I remember when I was a teenager, my mom always cooked extremely bland but extremely healthy meals, and my friends would talk about being bloated after eating and I didn't even know what they meant. Now that I cook for myself and end up eating a lot more processed foods, I know what it means all too well. Cooking only whole, fresh foods and avoiding high salt/sugar foods, artificial sweetners, and beer/pop is the quickest way ever to reduce your belly because you don't actually have to lose fat to do it, you're just losing water bloat and it only takes a day wink.gif also, drinking lots of water really works too!

Ha. Despite all my good ideas, I've been working about 20 hours overtime every week for the last 6 weeks and therefore stopped working out, started stress eating, and gained weight. I have another 7 weeks before my schedule goes back to normal and I know it'll take at least a month for my body to recover. Does anyone have advice for super-short, high intensity workouts that can still be done right when you are close to falling asleep on your feet? Or best foods to eat to help calm down stress (other than the cheese and chocolate I have been relying on so far, lol)

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 13 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #69

uh huh.

thanks spot-on.. yeah, I know about the not being able to spot reduce fat- I guess I just meant more intense ab exercises, because I didn't really feel like I was doing enough to strengthen those muscles at the same time I'm reducing fat.

I actually have gone off the P90X but I have started doing Power Pilates, since I discovered there is a studio within walking distance of my house. OH. MY. GOD. Even when I'm out of shape, I am fairly fit, and I quite literally had trouble getting out of bed the day after my first class. The concept of working one's muscles to failure definitely applies to these classes. I'm way into it. I love feeling like I actually did something with my body. I've done a class every other day this week - so 3 classes, and run on the off days. 3 classes, and I am already seeing more definition in my arms. WOW. I really want to keep up with doing the Power Pilates. I will be in shape in no time if I keep up with it.

my problem is that I actually need to eat MORE. I don't drink soda (and haven't for about 10 years) and I barely drink juice - just water. (OK, well I do have a proclivity for red wine. And vodka.) and I do eat healthy. I only very rarely eat fried foods, don't eat meat (only fish), cook fresh food, etc. etc. I don't starve myself - on the contrary. When I eat, I EAT. And I tend to eat a few small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones. It's just get busy and forget to eat at least a couple of meals - probably most days. Especially breakfast. I'm trying to get better about that.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Feb 12 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #70

Hardcore BUSTie

I just want to reiterate, that even though you exercise your core/abs/belly/midsection you CANNOT spot reduce fat. Sorry it just doesn't happen that way, science sucks sometimes but there it is. You burn FAT by diet and exercise sure but the body will reduce fat from where it wants. Pretty much we all have 6-packs as we all have a rectus abdominus with the muscle striation, as my friend says her 6-pack is just "wrapped in bubble wrap" wink.gif Reducing fat in the mid section is tough, and if you want to see abs/6-pack even tougher.

sybarite your swimming helped because you upped the intensity and duration of your workout which is a great way to get an added calorie burn to reduce fat.

For calorie intake I go to Livestrong.com and work out my diet & cal intake there. They work out everything for you when you input your date including age, height, weight and activity level. I personally choose light lifestyle then add in my daily workouts with my cal burn from my Heart rate monitor. I will say for me at 5'4" and 120-125lbs my daily intake should be 1800 cals BEFORE any exercise! So yeah know your numbers! Like I said Livestrong is great cos you can track your daily cals online (or iphone ap) and it does the math for you smile.gif

Gonna try and check in more often now things are calming down a little in the exercise world smile.gif

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Feb 12 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #71

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry I've been awol, Jan/Feb are busy times in the fitness world smile.gif

Zoya mixing up the running with P90X is fine, just sub out the cardio days (plyo/kenpo) with longer runs. I did that back in Sept before I screwed my knee up. I did 30 mins runs on the weight DVD days, then a longer hour long + run on the cardio days.

As for the spare tire, No amount of exercise in a specific area will reduce fat from that area. No amount of cleanses or detox's will either. You CANNOT spot reduce fat. As women we are prone to storing fat on our bellies and hips, that's just our hormones. And unfortunately that area is usually the first place we gain weight/fat and the last place it comes off. You need to reduce your body fat to lose the spare tire, and the mix of P90X and running is an awesome start to do that. I'd also advise switching out one of your runs in the week to an interval run, so you work on speed and stamina, Interval training burns more fat than steady state running

fat loss is also atributed to diet, so reduce simple carbs, no soda, plenty of greens, and basically good healthy eating

QUOTE(zoya @ Jan 31 2010, 02:57 PM) *
I want to build up to running about 30 minutes daily, comfortably, then a longer run once a week. Then I'll start throwing in something else a couple times a week (weight training) I'd like to get back on the P90X thing, but I'm thinking that I might keep running every day, and just use the weight training discs of the P90X program every other day. I know that's not the scientific way to get the results it gives, but my priority right now is running. When I was running 45 min / day + 1 long run a week a few years ago, I felt better than I've ever felt, both physically and mentally, and I can run anywhere. So I want to really work on making that a habit. I would like to lose 10 lbs, but more importantly, firm up.

speaking of firming up, I have developed a spare tire / squishiness around my middle in the past couple years, mainly caused by drinking and not doing a damn lick of exercising - any suggestions for exercises that are particularly good for belly / love handles? I'm guessing running may just be the best thing for it, and I just have to be patient????

+Quote Post
princess_dander
post Feb 4 2010, 05:17 AM
Post #72

Hardcore BUSTie

Ketto-1200 is insane. I remember trying to eat that little years ago and being dizzy, weak and bitchy. I also binged more.

I seriously have an "all or nothing" thinking when it comes to calories and I am trying to change that. Like seriously if I ate 100 more than what my goal was it could lead it a "fuck it, I totally just fucked up where's the ice cream" kind of thinking" Now I try to chill, but Eating 1700-ish calories in a day is difficult for me because the number seems so high, but I have to remind myself that my weight is also pretty high and this is what is healthy for me to lose the weight I want to.

Also,I noticed a dull pain in my left thigh which I am guessing might be the start of a stress fracture. This sucks because running is awesome and now I have to take care of myself and not run for at least 6 weeks to let it heal. I am hoping the good in this is that I will have to swim to maintain my weight loss and I'll get those rocking swimmer's arms by spring!

--------------------
always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

+Quote Post
ketto
post Feb 2 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #73

Hardcore BUSTie

1500 is low, you should be eating at least 1700 (this is a common number for women who are trying to lose weight). If you want to maintain your weight you should be eating about 2000 a day. Especially if you're exercising a lot, you need to make sure you have enough calories in your body to maintain a healthy level of exercise.

I don't trust those height, weight, age measurements. One of them told me I should be eating only 1200 calories a day and that's insane, especially for the amount of activity I do (running, skating, skiing, soccer),

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
princess_dander
post Feb 1 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #74

Hardcore BUSTie

I should start swimming again. I miss the feeling of strong arms after a hard swim!

Zoya- When I was doing pilates I could not move without my stomach muscles hurting a bit. I am thinking that if I stuck with it that I would have developed more tone in that area.

Does anyone know how many calories you are supposed to eat in a day? I found a site that said it was around 1700 for my height, weight and activity level, but I just feel like that is a LOT. I have no trouble eating that much or more if I don't keep track, but when I do I hate eating more than 1500.

Ug I hate this whole process!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Feb 1 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #75

it's cards on the table time

Zoya, I upped my swimming (and moved to a 50m pool) a few months back and have found that this has reduced my emergent pot belly considerably. It's also harder work but the longer pool length has changed my stroke, meaning I stretch a lot more when swimming. I think my reduced midsection comes from strengthening my core when swimming--I can feel my stomach muscles much more now, even when just walking around.

Also, the extra exercise means I don't have to cut out wine...smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoya
post Feb 1 2010, 03:19 AM
Post #76

uh huh.

great. the only thing on this list that I partake in on a regular basis (besides carbs) is liquor. I just stocked up on 3 bottles of my favourite wine. Feh. smile.gif

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 1 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #77

brown delicious

QUOTE(zoya @ Jan 31 2010, 06:57 PM) *
speaking of firming up, I have developed a spare tire / squishiness around my middle in the past couple years, mainly caused by drinking and not doing a damn lick of exercising - any suggestions for exercises that are particularly good for belly / love handles? I'm guessing running may just be the best thing for it, and I just have to be patient????

From what I've read, cutting down on things that lead to bloating and constipation, such as limiting carbs, cheese, soda pop, liquor, beer, sugar, really leads to dropping the weight. Switching to water soluble foods might help with this flush. Also, a good cleansing to help with a fresh start might do you well too. Make sure to drink lots of water!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
zoya
post Jan 31 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #78

uh huh.

I've been working on building up my running time slowly - I'd rather be able to build up to running comfortably than push myself so much I burn out and don't want to do it at all. I started a couple weeks ago running 5 min, walking a couple, running 5 (or as much as I could) The past couple days, I've done 19 minutes straight, and today took a 10 min walk after, and threw in a couple minutes running here and there, I felt so good.

I want to build up to running about 30 minutes daily, comfortably, then a longer run once a week. Then I'll start throwing in something else a couple times a week (weight training) I'd like to get back on the P90X thing, but I'm thinking that I might keep running every day, and just use the weight training discs of the P90X program every other day. I know that's not the scientific way to get the results it gives, but my priority right now is running. When I was running 45 min / day + 1 long run a week a few years ago, I felt better than I've ever felt, both physically and mentally, and I can run anywhere. So I want to really work on making that a habit. I would like to lose 10 lbs, but more importantly, firm up.

+Quote Post
princess_dander
post Jan 31 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #79

Hardcore BUSTie

Anna K- Getting smaller breasts is definitely a motivator for me to lose weight. I just got measured at a speciality bra store and was told I am a 38 E!! I freaked until someone told me that this is the same or very much like a DD.

I have been running and have lost about 3 pounds in the last two weeks. I get concerned about running at my size because I am over 200 pounds and have hurt my knee when my milage gets up past 5 miles at a time. I can make two now, but am hoping to break under the 200 mark by the end of Feb so I can continue to run without injuries.

--------------------

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jan 20 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #80

Hardcore BUSTie

I went to get some new bras today, feeling like my regular size (38DDD) was getting looser. I went to Lane Bryant, because I normally get bras there, and the saleswoman, when hearing my bra size, went, "Um, no, definitely not a 38." She said I was "tiny," and when she measured me, I came out to be 34 inches! I ended up getting some bras in 36DD, but I'm happy to have smaller breasts. I've always had big breasts, and never liked them being big, so I'm really happy that they fit snugly into smaller bras.

Angie, that sounds like a lot of fun!

I like interval training too. I do it in one of my classes, and it's fast and fun and keeps up a lot of endurance. I felt happy when the instructor, while doing something with me while talking to someone else, said of me, "She knows what she's doing," in this tone of voice like, "She can handle herself." It felt good, like I was strong and didn't play around.

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 26, 2014 - 01:52 AM