The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  « < 93 94 95 96 97 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
pixiedust
post May 3 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #1881

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

Yummy, I think maybe it is the getting the ex spouse off your ass that makes it go down. I have practically no ass at all now! If only I could say the same about my hips!

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
divaintraining
post May 3 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #1882

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello lovelies,
Sorry for the long absence (nothing like gettin slammed at the office, eh). So firstly I want to say to voodoo please please go to a doctor and consult them- I have a share of knee & injuries (running) and back (yoga) and let me tell you had I listened to docs those injuries would never have happened.

On a happier note, I tried my first PUSH DVD and I loved it! The workout was great- felt just the right amount of good soreness the next day. Actually was pleasantly surprised how simliar many of the moves were to portions of yoga sequences I remembered.

+Quote Post
yummymum
post May 3 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #1883

Hardcore BUSTie

Ugh. I pulled something in my shoulder/back area. I don't know what muscle it is, but it's right behind your shoulder and has obviously caused a shooting pain that runs up my neck!

Went to the chiro today to get it worked out, and I have a massage scheduled for Sunday. So, I only did legs today at the gym. Maybe do some running tonight.

Any suggestions on how to treat it? My heating pad obviously did not help last night!

Edited to add: PIXIEDUST- you crack my ass up! I too, lost 200 lbs when I got divorced. 20 on me. Heheheee I love it! Seriously though, I went through the same process. Something about a bad marriage that makes your ass bigger huh? I don't miss either!

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post May 3 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #1884

PANTIES! ew.

Oh Ris, good luck with that! How exciting.

+Quote Post
ris
post May 3 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #1885

Hardcore BUSTie

I second that, Artemis. Running will definitely build up your bum.

Scary. How did you do it, Dragon?

Ladylila, I agree with Snaf. You don't need to cut out snacking. In fact, I think it's encouraged these days as long as it's snacking and not whole extra meals, and as long as it's stuff that's good for you. I now have an entire cabinet shelf devoted to snacking, but it's all whole-grain crackers, dried fruit, baked chips, etc. I keep yogurt and fruit around, as well as a bar of dark chocolate. The bar lasts a week or more--I just break off a little square for myself when I get a craving.

I've been too sore to run since Sunday. Monday I wound up not doing anything but going to work. Yesterday, I really took it easy at the gym--lots of stretching, ab work, and upper-body stuff. I need to get in a quality run today because it's actually my last opportunity before the 5K on Saturday morning.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 3 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #1886

Artemis, Losing a man can rally help! I told everyone I lost 200 lbs when I got divorced, only 30 of it was actually on me. It was strange because i was eating a lot and not exercising and got thinniner than i have been in 8 years...but now I have gained it all back and then some. But i am defintiely carrying it differently. I feel thinner now than when I was 20 lbs lighter.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
dragonbait
post May 3 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #1887

Hardcore BUSTie

Artemis, keep running, you'll get yer ass back - but it'll be all muscle. And one mile is awesome, you should feel totally proud!! Run/walking is a great way to start - run for 2 minutes, walk for 5, over a 1/2 hour period, and over time increase the amount of running and decrease the amount of walking until you're just running for a 1/2 hour. It's one way to go.

Cycling should do it too, maybe try some spin classes.

I almost dislocated my shoulder in yoga on Sunday, totally freaked out my wonderful teacher. It's been a little sore so I've been taking it easy - plus not much time - but I should be back at it tonight and for the rest of the week.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 3 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #1888

it's cards on the table time

Sorry Artemis; your name is hardly long enough for me to mis-spell it, but somehow I did!

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 3 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #1889

it's cards on the table time

Artmeis, can't really help on the Ass Moves front... I remember getting a good bum from doing sit spins when I used to skate, but that's probably not practical and I was thirteen so it might not work the same way now. Squat thrusts maybe??

So no tae bo tonight either; there's a substitute class by someone else which they're calling a combination of things. I still might go; it's frustrating, I've never been someone who's madly into working out, and now I am it's gone pear shaped (unconscious pun, sorry!). Still, I ordered a tae bo DVD yesterday so I will be joining those of you who work out at home soon.

I had a stressful and unhealthy weekend, so it will make me feel better to kick ass in the gym tonight--in more ways than one, I suspect.

+Quote Post
snafooey
post May 2 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #1890

I said a boom chicka rocka chicka rocka chicka boom

*delurking (again)*

Artemis - congratulations, btw! - have you tried cycling instead of specific ASS MOVES? Granted, I don't have much of an ass anymore either from biking, but it does tone you up quite a bit. I'm not exactly bootylicious, but it gives it a nice shape.

As for me, I think I may finally have enough money for a decent pair of running shoes (I stationary bike with aerobic shoes - good support, but no real treads). I'm going to take some books about running out of the library (I want to make sure I work the right muscles so I can minimize injury, etc.) and make a go of it soon. I never think in terms of km/miles, though - I just give myself a time and try do as much as I can within that time. Same with biking - I just try to bike as hard as can (with as much resistance as I can) for about forty minutes. I used to go as long as an hour sometimes, but I just found that it took up a lot of time if I was also going to do crunches or weights after. I realize that with running, though, I won't be able just to start doing it and expect to last for a full forty minutes (or even ten minutes at first).

I've been doing the same exercises in general for way too long and I've definitely plateaued - I need to look up some new ones online (I bookmarked some of the sites people have linked to here in the past).

Yeesh, whenever I delurk I always write the same thing, eh?

If working out at home doesn't count, I'm screwed. :-)

Littleladylila, don't give up snacking - just try to make it healthy. I know, easier said than done but I find that it's so much easier when I break my food intake down to several times a day rather than just eating three big meals (says the person who is about to eat a post-workout "snack" at 11:50 PM - but then my schedule has always been somewhat wonky).

Ris - wow, you're inspirational! I want to get to that point again where it's just fun to keep pushing myself.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post May 2 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #1891

PANTIES! ew.

Please take my ass, Artemis. I have a lot to spare. hahahahahaha!

Yeah, sorry, no ass moves to share...

+Quote Post
littleladylila
post May 2 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #1892

BUSTie

Heellllp...I was doing so well, thinnest I'd ever been (not that I have an obsession with being skinny), and now, my wonderful cute jeans don't fit as well. I'm on a new health kick, including vitamins and water and actively trying to avoid snacking. It's just so difficult and frustrating.

+Quote Post
artemis27
post May 2 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #1893

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, FINE. So much for lurking!

Yeah, Ris, losing 160 pounds o' man helped—and not from stress, either. It's that I have more resources to give myself care in ways other than eating...(that and I haven't smoked weed since the breakup, which means my Saturday nights aren't spent with ice cream and chocolate).

Cinegirl, I'd love to take you up on your free pass! It would be fun to work out together. E-mailing you right now...

I am so impressed with all of you runners. Maybe someday I'll be there alongside you...right now I'm just thrilled that not only can I run a mile without stopping and feeling awful, I can run MORE than a mile! Wahoo! This is big for me--I've run more than a mile before but it's never been a consistent thing.

So along with the weight loss, I have lost my ass. I'm pretty hippy but from the side I have nothing now. I have never been in this position before and it's kind of weirding me out, so now I'm looking to tone up around there. Any good ASS MOVES anyone can recommend?

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post May 2 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #1894

Hardcore BUSTie

Good work, ris! That is a huge psychological hurdle to cross! What's the 5K you're running?

--------------------
read what i'm reading at Reading is my Superpower

+Quote Post
dragonbait
post May 1 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #1895

Hardcore BUSTie

Mmm... pasta...

Be wary of goal times, oh you first 5k'ers. If it's not your first, that's one thing, but for your first race I recommend just enjoying it and not worrying about the time. You'll be so hyped up with the crowds that you'll just run faster than normal anyway.

And congrats on the loop, ris! Those hills are pretty great, right? Hard but cool when you do 'em.

Ahh, the niketown SF.. supposed to be a good race. Yay!

No worries about the indulgent weekends ladies (and I include myself in that), let's all just look forward, look forward...

(oohh.. psst to the Brooklynites... I'll be haunting park slope yoga center for the rest of the week...)

+Quote Post
zora
post May 1 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #1896

Oh, my. I didn't go running on Friday because I was so busy, so instead I walked to meet my friends rather than drove. It was great! Then, that evening we all went to play Lazer Tag (apparently it's an Every Payday thing) and I had a fantastic time. It was quite the work out, running around in a dark room, ducking, crouching, etc. Then I went outside and sat down and my entire right thigh muscles twisted and pulled in the most awful way. So I've been limping around and having Ben rub arnica into it. I think it should be better on Wednesday when we go for our run. Goddamn that hurt though.
For dinner last night we had pasta with brocoli and shrimp. Yummmmmmm. Hot pepper flakes and lemon with pasta? Best thing ever.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 1 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #1897

uggh! All the weight I lost..I gained back this weekend! I can't complain too much though, the food where we stayed was fabulous! And tehre was so much of it! I guess I will just have to buckle down extra hard the next two weeks. Even if I don't make my goal, and even if I don't mak signficant weight loss, I have managed to change my overall "shape". That is a good thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ris
post May 1 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #1898

Hardcore BUSTie

Anna K, you should check out Momix when they come to town. They are one of my favorite companies. I have a feeling that you would really like them. Oh, and if you are an NYU student, NYCB has student discounts on the already-cheap seats. I used to get those and then I would move down a few rings closer to the stage during intermission. (Actually, in high school, I didn't even buy tickets, I would sneak in during intermission.) If that's not an option, you can get DVDs of the Balanchine Festival from Netflix.

Thanks, Catlady! I did feel bad-ass yesterday. This morning, I'm just feeling sore. Really sore. It did help to have all those other runners around. The energy out there is amazing and so inspiring. In a sick way, I kind of liked the hills. It feels so great when they're over! And getting to the top and then running down an incline and picking up speed feels fabulous.

Fuck those people who think working out at home with a video/DVD doesn't count. I've seen plenty of people over the years who go to the gym and just fart around instead of really working hard. Same goes for classes. I see people who clearly aren't giving it their all or who have kind of checked out mentally. The efficacy of any kind of exercise depends on the individual's effort, so if you follow a video at home and do it right, that's great.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post May 1 2006, 07:41 AM
Post #1899

the moistiest

okay, a four day vacation of eating, drinking, and being merry ends today. back to the grind (i HATE when i let this much time go by w/o working out once i've started...)

ris-bad ass. i know how nasty those CP hills are; did it help to have all the other hardcore runners nearby?

and _oct, back to your post down the thread; i would love to dance for cardio. did you have something in mind? a good video? a good class?

speaking of video, did you people notice "video-bias" from people? i'll say something like, "oh i worked out this PM" and they'll say, "really? what do you do?" and i'll mention tae bo or yoga or whatever, and how i usually just do it at home. they'll respond with a bland "oh", like this doesn't count as *real* working out.

sorry, some of us don't have that extra $50 a month to blow at the gym.

+Quote Post
anna_k
post Apr 30 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #1900

BUSTie

I went to two free performances at NYU, and I admired how students combined a ballet base with creative dance moves to music like Ladytron and M.I.A.

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  « < 93 94 95 96 97 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 11:24 PM