Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

55 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The General Health Question Thread
p_176
post Jul 14 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

netis do help reduce the infection, because the netis cause everything to drain. of course, netis work best in conjunction with the antibiotics.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jul 13 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #42

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

The next time I have to do a liquid diet (see picture in Say Cheese!) someone remind me that I may want to take some stool softeners about the time I start eating food again.....dear lord. That was as bad as getting the wisdom teeth out.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 23 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #43

Yeah, kitten, when I googled sinus infection, it said for acute sinusitis, antibiotics are helpful. If you're getting long-term sinus infections, it's a more complex issue and antibiotics won't help.

Amoxicilin- ha! I had strep throat and tonsilitis so many times over the years that amoxicillin hasn't been effective for me in about a decade. A couple of years ago, I had a cold that turned into something bacterial and made me lose my voice. My doctor put me on Levaquin, which is an antibiotic they use for anthrax! It also destroyed my natural flora, which was just insult to injury. Can't talk, can't get off the toilet. Fabulous! I think clindamycin is pretty middle-of-the-road- I had periocornitis awhile back, and it helped then...that's why I have the leftover.

ETA: Oh yeah, soup and orange juice is pretty much all I want to eat when I'm sick.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jun 23 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #44

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Yes, cool and dry air is the worst for it. Since my infections always hit the roof of my mouth, I get some relief just from eating soup and things like that. I'm not sure you want soup today but it is a suggestion.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 23 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #45

Actually, the warm humidity feels better. We had the A/C on in the bedroom last night and I don't think the cool, dry air was helping. The couple times I've been outside today, it's felt a lot better (to my sinuses, anyway....the rest of me, not so much.)

My ears hurt, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jun 23 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #46

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

For me, antibiotics are the only thing that work for sinus infections. Pain medication is nice but I always need something much stronger than Aleve. On my last sinus infection, I took so much Aleve, I can't believe I didn't get sick from it but I was still in tons of pain (hence ER visit.) Amoxicillian works for me. Take the full perscription time or it can come back (you probably know that.) Maybe ask your cousin for a Motrin 600/800 script. I swear I am not exagerating. That is what I need everytime.

Neti pots will help but won't solve the infection. Hot compresses can be good temporary pain reducers.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 23 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #47

brown delicious

Yup, you have a sinus infection. Nasal drip=sore throat+acid stomach, what a lovely combo. Humidity coupled with pollen, pollution, etc. does not help sinus polyps. Antibiotics, from what I've read, do not help with sinus infections. Just keep taking advil for pain, drink plenty of fluids, try to cut down on sugar/wheat/dairy for the next day, and use the neti pot 2x a day until the symptoms go away.

Get well soon!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 23 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #48

I think I have a sinus infection; tell me what you think of my theory:

I can usually tell a day or so before I feel as crappy as I do now that I'm getting a cold- that mucus-y feeling in the back of my throat is a dead giveaway. This time I haven't had any signs of any impending illness.

Last night I was at the animal shelter where I volunteer and I went to pull a cat out of a cage. Monday mornings they do a "deep clean" of the cat room, where they take all the cats out of their cages and completely disinfect it. When I was taking the cat out, I could smell a Pine-Sol-esque chemical smell from his cage, like they hadn't wiped it all out when they cleaned earlier that morning (so good for the cat, too!) and for the rest of the time at the shelter, my nose had that "I have to sneeze!" feeling. When I got home, I used the neti pot to try to get rid of it. It helped a little bit. The neti pot water never goes through my nose smoothly- I can feel the water go up into my sinuses, but it doesn't come out the other side, it just comes back down the same nostril. So, I did that a couple of times on both sides. Not a whole lot came out, but I wasn't stuffed up before all of this, so I wasn't expecting it to. I felt a little better, but still kind of irritated.

Before I went to bed, I did my pre-bed ritual of checking for tonsil stones, so I poked my tonsils a couple of times. Not a whole lot came out.

Went to bed, next thing I know, I was awake at 4:00am, hardly able to sleep because my throat hurt/was swollen so bad and my sinuses felt irritated, the "I have to sneeze!" feeling again. I got up, went to the bathroom, took a couple of Aleve, and a Tums, because I also felt a little acidy and thought that might be contributing to the sore throat. Went back to bed, woke up an hour and a half later, and felt a little better- about 50% less pain. I took a shower, and while in there, tried letting the steam loosen things up. I coughed up some crud- sort of an opaque white-ish color.

As today has gone on, the pain is coming back, in my throat and it's expanding in my face. My teeth hurt (which is something distinctive I remember from the only other time I had a sinus infection), it hurts to talk...I have that sting-y, irritated feeling in my nose, where it hurts to breathe.

Could the neti pot (or the tonsil poking) have disrupted/shifted something that's now causing this problem? I'd assume that if there's bacteria in there, it would have been affecting me sooner than this; it wouldn't just lie dormant in there, right?

It's just weird that I had no symptoms leading up to this, but as soon as I do something that would have moved stuff around in there, I have the problem. And I only really use the neti pot when I have symptoms of something. I know, I should use it every day, but when it doesn't really pass through, it feels sort of pointless.

Ugh, I need a head transplant.

I have some leftover clindamycin at home that my boss/cousin (who's a dentist) said would help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Jun 22 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #49

(o)(o)

I also had plantar warts, doctor recommended duoplant to get rid of them. I found that it worked well.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jun 22 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

HT, I have had plantar warts before but oddly, I got rid of them by running around in bare feet for a summer. I kept putting off getting some OTC stuff and then after a month of wearing bare feet in the summer they had disappeared. I know a lot of those kits give you a pumice stone so I think I just wore them down. Or they went away on their own. I've heard good things about the stuff you get OTC though.

Sib, I have type 1 diabetes so I don't know how much advice I could give. I only use insulin and no medications. If your bloodsugar is continuing to climb it could point to type 2 diabetes or Late Adult Onset Type 1. Metformin is very common for type 2 diabetics to use. You might try looking for diabetes communities on Livejournal or through google. I belong to the ones on Livejournal and I find them very helpful. There may be other folks with similar issues with PCOS as you.

As for hives, last year I had stress related hives everyday for a month. I got them a week before I left for a vacation to England and they followed me for three more weeks. Everyday they appeared around the same time (they even adjusted to the time change) and alcohol made them worse, but was not the cause. I walked in to a pharmacy and asked what was the best medication for hives. They gave me an OTC box of anti-histimanes and I took them everyday for a week. When I stopped the hives had disappeared. Taking the medication once helped but they would aways re-appear the next day so I started taking them everyday at the same time. I tried a number of home remedies, stress relievers, etc, but those were the only thing that worked.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 21 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(hellotampon @ Jun 19 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Has anyone had a plantar wart before? What's the best way to get rid of them? I have one and it's very painful and I spend hours running around on my feet while at work. This shit sucks.

Yeah, I've had a few. On most of them, I tried the OTC stuff first, and usually it didn't do a whole lot. I've had to go to podiatrists and get the little bastards frozen off. Another thing you can try is something called Mediplast. It's basically the same as those OTC pads that slowly burn it off, but it's stronger. Like that article says, you don't need a prescription, but it's usually kept behind the counter, not on the shelves. The last time I had to go to a podiatrist for one, he had me use Mediplast in between visits to him. I think it took 3-4 visits to get it to go away.

This was all when I was in high school, about 10 years ago (fucking gym class locker rooms!) I think Dr. Scholls has an OTC thing now that will freeze them off. I think it's kind of expensive, but cheaper than going to a doctor for it, so maybe try that first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lunalu
post Jun 20 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #52

BUSTie

Hello Busties out there,

has anyone experienced insulin disorders / resistance type of health issue and hives ?
I'm not diagnosed with diabetes, but I have been trying to lower my blood sugar because of my PCOS for 5 months now, and I've been taking priority glycemic support supplements after breakfast / lunch everyday, and pretty much I stopped eating bread / pasta / rice products since that five months to cut down on my carbohydrate intake. I'm trying natural medicine only, and while all these diet changes and supplements have been helping my PCOS and 'irregular' periods, my blood sugar has been going up instead of down sad.gif
I had blood test done over 3 months ago for fasting glucose and it came as 91(ml?), and I had another test done two weeks ago and it came as 100 sad.gif I was expecting it to go down...
I've read on several sites that for fasting glucose test, 100 is the limit for pre-diabetes / insulin resistance. My naturapath wants to wait for 2 weeks before we decide anything so that meantime I can journal everything I eat, and she can decide what may be raising my blood sugar, and then later we may do another blood test.

My question is this: I also have hives that came out of nowhere, and related to nothing, so with my dermatologist's advice, I've been taking Zyrtec every evening for about 3+ months now. Could Zyrtec raise my blood sugar? Has anyone experienced hives that is related to nothing? and how did you deal with it? Is there any kind of natural ways to get rid of hives? I really don't wan to be taking zyrtec, but if I don't, I would bleed my skin from itching. so that's kind of helpless.

For the blood sugar, has anyone experienced insulin resistance, and how did you deal with that?
Also, anyone taking Metformin, I would be glad to hear your experience with that. My naturapath is against any kind of drug because of the side effects, but I've heard some people taking it for insulin resistance.
So anyway, any suggestion you can give is welcome!

--------------------
"All young women begin by believing they can change and reform the men they marry. They can't." ~George Bernard Shaw

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Jun 19 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone had a plantar wart before? What's the best way to get rid of them? I have one and it's very painful and I spend hours running around on my feet while at work. This shit sucks.

+Quote Post
Queen Bull
post Jun 19 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Jun 19 2009, 09:17 PM) *
I bumped the alcohol thread for you as well as the addiction thread, Queen Bull.

thanks ap. you rock. smile.gif

--------------------
I love gentiles. In fact, protestant spotting is one of my favorite pastimes. :) ooh.. whats that? me thinks its a blog

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 19 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #55

Big Fat Bitch

I bumped the alcohol thread for you as well as the addiction thread, Queen Bull.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
Queen Bull
post Jun 19 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

*tap tap* i may be lost.

i was looking for a discussion or advice about dealing with alcoholism. but im here, so why not? someone just turn me in the right direction if this isnt where i need to be.

I have recently come to terms with the fact that i have a propensity not only for addiction but specifically for alcoholism. Not to say that i have reached a point in my life and in my disease that i have ruined relationships and cant hold a job. just the knowledge that i cannot, physically and mentally have one drink. As soon as i take that first taste of liquor it becomes a compulsion, that in all honesty, scares the ever loving hell out of me. and even still, i have been dry for a couple of months now, but it is a constant battle almost, and the only reason, immature though it may be, that i have not is because if i begin to drink i will cheat on my boyfriend. obviously, that being something i do not want to do. i suppose i was just looking for any advice on if that constant nagging will ever go away, or if i will ever be able to go out and have a martini with the girls. I have read about alcoholism and am familiar with the subject, but i suppose that since it is now applying to me i was hoping that there was someone who went through what i am and had been 'fixed'. because truthfully, i feel broken. I mean, i havent even hit twenty-one yet and i have had to quit drinking because of the problems it was creating in my life. A part of me realizes that it isnt the end of the world not to be able to drink and that i dont need it to be happy, but part of me just wants to be that normal person that can go to a bar and celebrate on her twenty first birthday. i dunno. *sigh*

thanks.

--------------------
I love gentiles. In fact, protestant spotting is one of my favorite pastimes. :) ooh.. whats that? me thinks its a blog

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 19 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #57

Big Fat Bitch

If it's really bothering you, you should probably see a dermatologist. Eczema can get mad out of control.

ETA, I forgot what I came in here for! So I was sitting on my porch last night taking in some air. I got three mosquito bites. Two of them are normal, the third? Is weird. The point of injection looks normal, but there is a bloom of purple bruise around it about the size of a half dollar. What the hell? I admit to being clumsy enough that I'm covered in weird bruises most of the time, but this one is really strange.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
twelve_percent
post Jun 19 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #58

BUSTie

Yeah, but the redness doesn't go away. I don't know what could be causing that

--------------------
Listen to my music and you will feel complete! www.myspace.com/kellyinezmusic

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jun 19 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

I was going to suggest eczema as well. Have you tried prescription eczema creams?

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
twelve_percent
post Jun 18 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #60

BUSTie

I'm having a skin problem on my arms. I've had it for a really long time but it seems to be getting worse. If I don't lotion my arms they get really bumpy and sometimes bleed and blister in spots. They are also really red. The more time I spend in the sun the redder they get, even if I'm wearing sunscreen. They just don't tan, they get redder. I've been told it's eczema but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Listen to my music and you will feel complete! www.myspace.com/kellyinezmusic

+Quote Post

55 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 25, 2014 - 04:21 PM