The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

32 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
edie52
post Jul 27 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #381

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey music-loving busties! I didn't know where else to post this...

I'm making a (surprise) mix CD for a few close friends of mine who are going on a road trip from here to Chicago and then along route 66 to L.A. I'm just wondering if any of you have any suggestions. I'm including songs that mention cities/states they will be passing through as well as bands from those places, as well as songs that have an American feel and just plain old good driving songs.

So far there are some obvious ones- "Los Angeles" by X, "King of the Road" by Roger Miller, "California Stars" by Wilco, "Out on the Weekend" by Neil Young, as well as songs by the Pixies, the Silver Jews, Bob Dylan, the Replacements, the Microphones, etc... I think it needs more women right now.

Any suggestions? Their tastes (and mine) favor folk, country, rock, and indie...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lilith
post Jul 27 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #382

BUSTie

I've recently become obsessed with Bloc Party (of course, I only know a few songs, but my friend is burning me some CDs).

--------------------

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jul 15 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #383

Hardcore BUSTie

Sara Bareilles. OMG FABULOUS.

+Quote Post
llamas
post Jul 13 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #384

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm all overexcited because Constantine from American Idol is finally putting out an album...it's not due until August 7th, but I've been listening to live recordings and some samples on the Barnes and Noble website. I think I remember that he has a few other Bustie fans...this site has a bunch of info and pretty things and whatnot: http://i-squad.com/link/link/NTIyMzYzfDMxMQ==
<---obnoxious fangirl tongue.gif

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 10 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #385

the moistiest

Babs- I am a huge Tori fan, but I can only like/can get through the first 5 songs of ADP. I love them, but I can't dig the rest. I think it might be a case of "it's not you, it's me", 'cause I'm just not traversing Tori music land right now. I'm like 180 degrees from it. I'm hoping I'll come around to it eventually, but right now it's been shelved. I'm saddened. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Babsalicious
post Jul 10 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #386

BUSTie

Been totally into Tori Amos-American Doll Posse. Also picked up an older Cat Power-What Would the Community Think. Love em both!

+Quote Post
Appletinis
post Jul 9 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #387

oh man totally Johnette Napolitano (the solo album Scarred not Concrete Blonde stuff). A friend sent me a link to her site.. the whole album was there free and now im 100% hooked. johnettenapolitano.com seriously incredible stuff. <3 her!!!

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jul 8 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #388

Hardcore BUSTie

Recent songs I've downloaded:

MIA's Bucky Done Gun
Paul Oakenfold's Faster Kill Pussycat with Brittany Murphy on vocals
The Dan Band's Lady and Total Eclipse of the Heart covers
The Noisettes' Malice in Wonderland and Scratch My Name
The Pipettes' Dirty Mind and Pull Shapes
R. Kelly's Sex Planet
Kelis' Bossy
Juliette and the Licks' You're Speaking My Language
Alice Smith's Woodstock
Diddy and Keyshia Cole's Last Night
Ciara's Promise

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jul 6 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #389

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

I'm loving the White Stripes' new album, Icky Thump.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
The HBIC
post Jul 5 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #390

AMY WINEHOUSE!!

+Quote Post
.em.
post Jul 3 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #391

BUSTie

awww, I love Damien Rice. especially live~

YUI's (JPop-i listen to a lot of it) new album Can't Buy My Love is really good--better than her last one, I think. I'm always listening to and loving new JPop stuff; my favorite is Utada Hikaru.

+Quote Post
babydrool
post Jul 2 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #392

BUSTie

Have been obsessed with Arcade Fire's "neon bible" since it came out months ago. I dare say it is better than the first album.

My boy got me Lily Allen's cd which I have yet to fully listen to. She is adorable.

Kings of Leon -- gotta love my dirty southern boys-- put out a super 3rd album-- my favorite to date. They have really matured musically and lyrically. And damn have they grown into hot young men -- I feel like such a pedophile since the bassist was only 15 when they recorded their first album. Too bad they sound so dumb in interviews.

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Jun 28 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #393

The rest is gravy...

Anna, that's a fun random sampling!!

I've been obsessing over Ingrid Michaelson and Feist lately. Wilco. Elliot Smith.

And because it makes me think of my mom, Barry Manilow. Don't ask.

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jun 28 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #394

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been digging the Pipettes and the Noisettes. I like making mix CDs of odd choices. Like my new mix was a bunch of Aerosmith songs, King Missile's "Detachable Penis," Deadeye Dick's "New Age Girl" (aka "Mary Moon"), David Hasselhoff singing the Baywatch theme, Jamelia's song sampling "Personal Jesus" and reminding me of Rihanna's "SOS," and 60's pop like "The Boy From New York City" and "Cherish." I just like picking random stuff.

+Quote Post
pancakery
post Jun 27 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #395

Apologies - I had no intention of spamming - I thought it might be appropriate to ask for support for a queer band here, but I'm really sorry if I misunderstood the way the forum works.

Anyway - some great queer or feminist or girl bands I've been listening to recently? Looker (Brooklyn-based, SO great, quenchable harmonies), The Pussy Pirates (Michigan, awesome rhythm play) and the Degenerettes (campy queer garage rock from Baltimore). Also, admittedly, the new Rufus Wainwright, on repeat. It's like eating the most decadent jar of garlic-stuffed olives over and over and over....

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Jun 25 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #396

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Actually, spam isn't appropriate anywhere (but if you do want to join us, then welcome).

Right now the Arcade Fire, the Clash and Ted Leo are in constant rotation in my CD player. I feel like I'm a little late for getting into Arcade Fire, but I finally got around to buying their latest last month, then I went out and bought Funeral last week. The other two are old favorites that seem to fit my current mood.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
pancakery
post Jun 25 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #397

Hey -

I'm actually new here, and couldn't figure out whether I had permission to start a new thread - this isn't exactly appropriate for this one, but it IS music-related (and self-promotional...!) and maybe someone can tell me where it would fit better, if not here...sorry if not.

Anyway - I'm in a band called The Shondes (www.shondes.com) and we're in a contest called "Last Band Standing," in which bands compete for a slot at Lollapalooza! We think it would be incredible for a feminist, queer, radical, band to join the mainstream alterna-stages and are campaigning for votes from the people we love!

So - the rules are, well, funny. You can vote *every day* from *every email address you have*. So don't vote once and then desist - vote oft! All you have to do is click on the link below, and then you'll have to check your email to verify the vote. (And note - even if you see our vote count and think we don't stand a chance - we do! We are in 134th place now, and only need to get to 100th - and we still have a week.)

http://lollapalooza.mp3.com/feature/2007lo...and=THE-SHONDES

Any questions? Temim@shondes.com. And please forward to anyone you know with desk job and a computer! Or a vested interest in seeing our smiling faces on a large and prestigious Chicago stage...!

xo
Temim

+Quote Post
silverhalide
post Jun 21 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #398

BUSTie

I'm on a huge Rufus Wainwright kick now--has anyone else seen his interviews? He is so hilarious and honest. I love him.

+Quote Post
MaybeSparrow
post Jun 2 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #399

Hardcore BUSTie

This isn't really a band per say, but I have been listening to the "Marie Antoinette" soundtrack and "The life aquatic" soundtrack as well. Both are so so amazing. I feel like seeing the movie only made them better too.

--------------------
"Acquiring knowledge is like biting into a cheese that gets bigger with every bite" --Henry Miller

+Quote Post
Arcadia
post May 24 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #400

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm currently in love with Bethany Joy Lenz. Apparently she's on One Tree Hill (which I don't watch), but I think her music is just beautiful. I'm a sucker for a girl with a guitar or a piano.

--------------------
"Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose - with the exception of guppies, who like to eat theirs."
- P.J. O'Rourke

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 22, 2014 - 10:57 PM