The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

32 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
epinephrine
post Aug 7 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #121

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been trying to claw my way out of this huge music rut I've been in for ages now, so I started buying an album off iTunes every month and raiding my local library for new things. Today I got The Campfire Headphase by Boards of Canada and Christmass by Frank Black, and they're both awesome.

So, including those two, here are my latest additions:

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Frank Black - Christmass
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
The Pixies - Trompe le Monde
Portishead - Third
The Stooges - Fun House
The Grave Life - apparently untitled album that I bought at their show. Excellent punk band from BC that my bro toured with this summer.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Jul 26 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #122

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(rudderlesschild @ Jul 24 2009, 03:36 AM) *
I've sort of immersed myself in Trailer Bride for the past couple of months. I wish I could have caught them live when they were still together! I do love the Moaners, though.

Now I'm falling all over myself for Kino (Кино), this 80's Russian group I found through my class. They're long gone as well - their lead singer died in 1990. I am always late to the party!

I've downloaded a lot of old R&B and freestyle lately, as well, star. Bell Biv DeVoe, they were like the inadvertent soundtrack to my freshman year in highschool. I always really loved Lisa Lisa and some of the other freestyle bands from back then... like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQmYtUI-RI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDC-CqvNpWs

I used to have some Trailer Bride songs downloaded, and I remembered them a while ago and have been racking my brain trying to remember what their name was. Glad you posted this!

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jul 23 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #123

brown delicious

QUOTE(rudderlesschild @ Jul 23 2009, 10:36 PM) *
I've downloaded a lot of old R&B and freestyle lately, as well, star. Bell Biv DeVoe, they were like the inadvertent soundtrack to my freshman year in highschool. I always really loved Lisa Lisa and some of the other freestyle bands from back then...

OMG. You won my heart, rudder!! You really took me back with Stevie B.! If You Leave Me Now is one of my favorite songs by him. You would've enjoyed all of the videos I was playin' last night. I was about to post Lisa Lisa's I Wonder If I Take You Home. Such the jam! You would've loved the DJ spinnin' last Saturday. Lots of freestyle and R & B songs.

As for BBD, no truer words were spoken as "Never trust a big butt and a smile...that girl is....POISON..." wink.gif

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jul 23 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #124

brown delicious

I'm revisiting all of my favorite house music. Plus, 80s & 90s R&B. During a fit on insomnia, I was watching videos of Lisa Lisa, Jody Watley, and Terrence Trent D'arby on youtube. I never did so many neck pops in my life.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 19 2009, 12:55 AM
Post #125

Big Fat Bitch

I so miss Trailer Bride, Melissa is now a part of the Moaners & they are pretty sweet, too.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jul 19 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #126

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

I am IN LOVE with the Duhks. I must have more. Also Trailer Bride. I am not through listening to everything yet, but I'm doing it right now. How could I have forgotten the Be Good Tanyas? *smacks forehead* They did a benefit for us when I was involved in the women's centres coalition! *smacks forehead again*

Seriously. I am BLOWN AWAY by the Duhks. That's where I'm stuck, actually, I've been pulling up a bunch of their stuff and haven't made it past. wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jul 18 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #127

Hardcore BUSTie

I just got Siouxsie and the Banshees' Kaleidoscope the other day and I can't listen to anything else. But stupid iTunes fucked up and for some reason I'm missing 4 of the songs. I complained and hope to have it straightened out soon. But my god, is it ever a good album. Like some kind of strange spicy candy for my ears. Liquorice, maybe.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
thirteen
post Jul 18 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #128

BUSTie

Recently I discovered the band Metric-- "Help, I'm Alive" was playing on the radio and I fell in love straightaway! Good stuff!

Gosh, I have been listening to just tons and tons of music-- a great variety. Cat Stevens, Grace Slick, The Beatles, Brandi Carlile, The Kills, Serge Gainsbourg, Deep Forest, Radiohead, The Vaselines, t.A.T.u. (I know they started out as a gimmick but their music is actually rather nice-- and most definitely catchy), Patsy Cline, The Velvet Underground, Nirvana....and of course Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, Saint-Saens...

My latest fixation is Michael Nyman's music-- especially the haunting, lovely soundtrack for The Piano. The music and the movie both are excellent.

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Jul 15 2009, 04:27 AM
Post #129

Hardcore BUSTie

Jessi Sykes is great. There's always Lucinda Williams too.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 14 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #130

Big Fat Bitch

For some reason the simple tunes of Austin's Harlem have been rocking my shit. They have this really great song called "Beautiful & Very Smart" that will likely wind up in the next hipster-y romcom.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jul 14 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #131

Oh thanks for the input, everyone! I'm going to start pulling up some of that stuff tonight.....

The gig is August 1. Last night I managed to learn: Jolene, Rockin' with the Rhythm of the Rain, Love Can Build a Bridge, There's Your Trouble, and One's on the Way.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
designermedusa
post Jul 14 2009, 06:23 AM
Post #132

Hardcore BUSTie

I definitely agree with Jenny Lewis (mainly her first solo album) and Neko Case (almost all her stuff is very country).

Eleni Mandell also did a country album.

Those Darlins just released a country, honky tonk type album.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 13 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #133

Big Fat Bitch

Doodle, Gillian Welch, Allison Krauss, & EmmyLou Harris did a song together on the "O, Brother" soundtrack that's lovely, but they all do great stuff individually.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheBeesKnees
post Jul 13 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #134

BUSTie

QUOTE(culturehandy @ Jul 9 2009, 06:44 AM) *
I am currently obsessed with Morcheeba! Gosh, Morcheeba gives me panty soup.

AAAHHH! That is the funniest thing I've seen in days..."panty soup"...*clutches sides*

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 13 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #135

the moistiest

lyle lovett? he ups and downs the twangy based on the songs; i don't consider him pure country ('cos i like him!)

+Quote Post
edie52
post Jul 13 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #136

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooh. What about Neko Case, particularily her older stuff- there are a few songs from Furnace Room Lullaby in particular that seem like they would fit the bill- "Guided By Wire" is great, and "Whip the Blankets" is great if you're looking for an upbeat stompin' kind of song.

Oh! And "John Saw that Number."

There's also an amazingly fun song called "Jason Fleming" that Neko covered live with the Sadies for their In Concert album (I believe it's a Roger Miller cover).

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jul 13 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #137

Hey all....stargazer sent me here for this:

The band and I have been asked to do a gig for a family reunion, too well-paid to turn down. The catch is, they want "mainly country."

My country awareness being limited to the Dixie Chicks, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and the Judds, I am looking for song suggestions, good songs by women country singers/songwriters/bands/musicians. Please help!

I'm totally willing to take on old school country like Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline, etc., with a feminist caveat: while I'm willing to sing something like "One's on the Way," I will NEVER, EVER sing something like "Stand by Your Man," even in an ironic way b/c many country fans don't "get" irony.

I'm also into taking on new country, or in-between country. This will be a multi-generational event.

Help? Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?????

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Jul 13 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #138

(o)(o)

I had some on this compilation and went off and downloaded some stuff. Fucking hell, it's so amazing.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 9 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #139

the moistiest

ahhhhh morcheeba!

"la la laaaaaaa... i'm a trigger hippie..."

that whole album is fantastic

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Jul 9 2009, 06:44 AM
Post #140

(o)(o)

I am currently obsessed with Morcheeba! Gosh, Morcheeba gives me panty soup.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 06:26 AM